Bethesda is releasing a 10th anniversary edition of 'Skyrim'

Technology

Engadget 20 August, 2021 - 03:47am 48 views

The Anniversary edition contains the full game, along with all three of its expansions, namely Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn. It has all the enhancements that came out with the Special Edition, the remaster Bethesda released back in 2016, though it's unclear if this newer version has higher frame rates and better graphics to make them look better on current-gen consoles.

The game also comes with new features, including a fishing mechanic, as well as 500 pieces of Creation Club content, quests, dungeon, bosses, weapons and spells unique to the version. However, Bethesda has yet to release details about those new features, so players may have to wait for more information to figure out if the game is worth another purchase.

According to IGN, old fans can upgrade their game to the Anniversary Edition if they already have the Special Edition. The upgrade won't be free, but the studio hasn't revealed at this point how much it would cost.

Please enter a valid email address

Read full article at Engadget

Bethesda celebrates 10 years of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with new Anniversary Edition, out November 11

PlayStation.Blog 20 August, 2021 - 06:50am

On November 11, 2011, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim made its debut, making its mark in gaming history. This November, Skyrim celebrates a decade of epic journeys, dragon battles, arrows in the knee, and of course, countless stories told by Skyrim’s most important denizens: you!

That’s why Bethesda Game Studios is celebrating Skyrim’s 10th anniversary by focusing on those who chose Skyrim as their home away from home – the fans.

For fans looking to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Skyrim – or newcomers ready to take their first step into Tamriel’s northern landscape – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition releases November 11, 2021 for PlayStation 4 consoles with backwards compatibility on PlayStation 5 systems.

The Anniversary Edition contains the full game plus all three expansions – Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn – as well all the enhancements found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition. The Anniversary Edition also contains over 500 unique pieces of Creation Club content, including quests, dungeons, bosses, weapons, spells and more!

Tune November 11 at 11am PST / 8pm CEST on the official Bethesda YouTube or Twitch channel as The London Symphony Orchestra and London Voices Choir takes us on a musical journey through Skyrim, broadcast from the historical Alexandra Palace Theatre. Experience the iconic themes and ambient tunes of Skyrim in this special concert paying tribute to you, the game’s fans.

From detailed cosplay to stunning artwork, Skyrim fans have made a name for themselves for their boundless passion and creativity. Now, that passion and creativity has a home with The Skyrim Museum,  allowing fans to submit their Skyrim-themed artworks for fellow fans to enjoy. Have your own Skyrim masterpiece to share? Join the fun and submit your own creation today.

It’s hard to believe it’s been ten years, but it only shows how Skyrim’s community has come together to make this a game worth remembering and playing even to this day. We can’t wait to join you in this incredible celebration of Skyrim and its fans – don’t miss it.

Please be kind, considerate, and constructive. Report inappropriate comments to us_playstation_blog_moderation@sony.com

23 Comments

Skyrim and GTA5 are the two games that won’t stop releasing over and over and over

No truer words have ever been spoke

Are you kidding me. Please just let this game die in peace.

Not even a PS5 version. lmfaoooo ANOTHER PS4 version with BC on PS5.

Spoken not spoke. But maybe that applies

If it was a PS5 version I would but for the 5th time. But PS4 locked at 30fps 🤮🤮🤮 no thanks.

I believe there was a console mod that unlocks 60fps. But doing so will disable trophies.

There is a free next gen upgrade FYI. This blog didnt mention that and made it sound like it was just BC. I just watched the Bethesda reveal to make sure.

So free next gen upgrade, 3 free pieces of creation club content.. them for the other 500 creation club elements u can upgrade to anniversary edition.

Otra edición mas? !!!!!!!me la llevooooo!!!!!

People keep buying this, so the milking continues.

If there is some sort of importing/exporting of saves between this and Skyrim VR, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. I very much want to alternate between 2D and VR.

This is a joke right? You are re-re-re-re-re-re-releasing Skyrim, and it’s just the PS4 version again, not even a native PS5 game??? And knowing full well that ES6 is never coming to PS5, you still have the nerve to mock PS owners like this?

Do NOT buy this garbage, don’t give them a penny.

Free next gen upgrade but blog failed to mention. Not sure if it’s a native PS5 version, or just unlocked frame rates, etc for PS4.. but at the very least you will get improvements, for free. Plus 3 free creations.

Those of us who have the VR version can we get the improvements?

How did you forgot to mention It will be a FREE upgrade for people who already own Skyrim?

Something doesn’t seem right about the concert part. I would love to attend the concert live in person, but saw that neither the Alerxandra Palace Tearter nor the London Symphony Orchestra have this on their event schedules. Both are have different events scheduled that day and does not even mention this event.

2 console generations and they didn’t fix quest breaking bugs! That’s 9 years longer than CyberPunk 2077 was given before it was allowed to return.

Useless upgrade if it doesn’t support ps5 native.

Comes out the same day as GTA 5 remastered ps5, assuming nothing gets delayed.

Microsoft should charge a tenner, or heck let’s say 30 quid, for the upgrade for PlayStation users only, since that’s the standard practice we’ve come to expect.

And I’m seriously not joking, I would be fine with them doing it because nobody would be allowed to complain about it that defends Ghost of Tsushima’s expensive lazy PS5 native port.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Sean Murray Founder, Hello Games

Skyrim Dev Explains How Foxes Unintentionally Lead Players to Treasure

PlayStation LifeStyle 20 August, 2021 - 06:50am

For years, Skyrim players have known about how foxes would inexplicably run towards nearby treasure, but with no official explanation as to why. Following a recent explanation on how the game’s opening scene was almost ruined by an immovable bee, another former The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim developer revealed the secret behind how wild foxes in the game take players to loot-filled areas. More importantly, he also explained how the mechanic was actually completely unintentional, and emerged due to unrelated level and AI design.

Among Skyrim players, you’ll occasionally see this tip: if you see a wild fox, follow it and you’ll be led to treasure.

Sometime shortly after shipping, we saw this going around online, and an informal investigation started. Who made foxes do this?!

— Joel Burgess (@JoelBurgess) August 18, 2021

Capy Games studio director and former Bethesda developer Joel Burgess explained via Twitter how the rumor of foxes leading players to treasure initially started post-launch. “Sometime shortly after shipping we saw this going around online, and an informal investigation started,” Burgess states. However, no one had confessed to adding the treasure-hunting mechanic. Burgess had even dug around in the game’s code, trying to find out who or what was responsible for the behavior.

Turns out, the answer was a combination of Fox AI and something called “navmesh”—a sheet of invisible polygons laid over the world used to tell AI where they could and couldn’t go. When a fox meets a player, the game tells it to run away a certain distance, in this case, measured by the number of polygons (or triangles) between it and the player. Out in the wild, the navmesh is loose and simple, made up of huge polygons. However, camps and caves—which generally have loot and other treasures—tend to be made of a large number of smaller polygons.

This means that, for a wild fox trying to put as many “polygons” between them and the player as possible, these areas are highly attractive to the fox AI. “Foxes aren’t leading you to treasure – but the way they behave is leading them to areas that tend to HAVE treasure,” continues Burgess “because POIs w/loot have other attributes (lots of small navmesh triangles).”

Burgess concludes “Emergent Gameplay is often used to describe designed randomness, but this is a case of actual gameplay that NOBODY designed emerging from the bubbling cauldron of overlapping systems. And I think that’s beautiful.”

I'm so thankful I have another chance to fail at getting into Skyrim

VG247 20 August, 2021 - 04:34am

When I think about Skyrim it brings up loads of great memories. I was working with a great bunch of people (not that I'm not now, I should add) in an office I'd been desperate to get for years; I'd just moved into a flat with my girlfriend (now my wife); and I'd picked up Skyrim for an obscenely low price on Xbox 360 thanks to a ridiculous deal UK retailer GAME was running. Everything was great.

For reasons that I'm yet to really nail down, I have tried and failed to get into Skyrim on five separate occasions.

All was good with the original release of Skyrim. I was riding high on life and an exceptionally good deal, but then things hit the fan in a dramatic way. Lydia, an NPC who I'm yet to learn much about and who very well may end up being the ruler of Skyrimville, fell off a mountain.

Details beyond that are hazy (there were lots of stairs, and perhaps some kind of grand looking entrance) but all I know for sure is that Lydia, an NPC of unknown importance, was gone. I searched all over for her, assuming she'd probably just be at the bottom of the mountain, but there was no sign.

Maybe she had succumbed to her injuries sustained from the 1000-feet fall and been taken by wolves? The not knowing ate me up and I stopped playing soon after. Mario Kart 7 dropping on 3DS a few weeks later didn't help matters.

Skyrim arrived on Xbox One and PS4 with some improved visuals and mod support, and it's the latter that truly killed this attempt to get into Skyrim.

I'd watch YouTube videos of modded Skyrim running on Xbox One (and later Xbox One X and Series X) and become obsessed with trying these setups out. That's all I did in the game. I'd get all the mods setup, jump into the game to wander around a small area, decide it looked OK, then try something else.

I tend to fall into this trap a lot and it's a major reason why I became tired of PC gaming. I'd focus so much on tweaks that I'd rarely play the games. Anyway, the second attempt (and fourth/fifth attempts) ended in failure.

This was to be the one. The version of Skyrim I could play anywhere. Finally I'd get further into the game than a fairly feeble few hours and join the masses of people who consider Skyrim to be a genre great.

I attempted to climb a mountain by directly walking up it rather than taking the long, winding path.

This started off fine. I made swift progress and laughed at the path that disappeared around the back of the mountain as I practically slid up the near-vertical cliff face.

Sadly the smug look on my face turned to exasperation as I found myself unable to reach the summit, my Dragonborn suddenly displaying the walking ability of a toddler. I should have given up and headed to the path, but no. This mountain wasn't going to beat me.

Over the next week I'd spend the little free-time I had trying to glitch myself up this mountain. It was futile. Skyrim remains installed on my Switch as a reminder of my failure.

Looking back, I think it's fair to say that I'm mostly to blame for not getting into Skyrim. I definitely made some odd decisions in the game over the years. So maybe Skyrim on Xbox Series X/PS5 will be the moment that it all clicks.

Or maybe I'll just keep wishing Bethesda would treat Oblivion to a lovely remaster.

What about you? Have you also struggled to get into Skyrim, one of the most popular games of all time? Let me know in the comments, and please do say if you also lost Lydia as it'll make me feel better.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition arrives November 11 on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S - with free upgrades on new consoles. For more games coming soon, head over to our video game release dates page.

Tom has been in games media for longer than he cares to think about. He runs VG247 and likes to post articles about what things were like in the old days. Formerly a Football Manager addict, he now spends his free time tweeting about the classic PGR series.

Trade proposal: you give us money, we give you an ad-free reading experience, merch discounts, elite status amongst your friends, and a newsletter every month. Your support (cash money) helps us create more great videos and articles that don't have to top Google search results.

Developers behind Dusk, Amid Evil and Project Warlock reflect on the 90s shooter wave, their upcoming games, and why the retro FPS renaissance may be coming to an end.

Just because video games are interactive doesn't mean every uncomfortable element should be able to be turned off.

Step into a world of wonder that is our brand new site.

We'll take any chance we get to watch Black Myth: Wukong.

Dominate the opposition with the best Naraka Bladepoint weapons for your playstyle.

Xbox Game Pass now has three Quake games.

Bethesda has found a new way to re-release Skyrim.

They're far more stylish than your average video game website tat.

Copyright © 2021 Gamer Network Limited, a ReedPop company.

All rights reserved. No part of this site or its content may be reproduced without the permission of the copyright holder.

It's 2021 And Bethesda Has Announced Another Skyrim Port

Kotaku 19 August, 2021 - 05:15pm

As you might expect, this new version of Skyrim will include all previously released DLC too, like Dawnguard. That’s a lot of bang for your buck. Real quick, let’s take a look at all the ways you can buy and play Skyrim at this time:

At this point, I’ve just accepted that I’ll never escape Skyrim or GTA V.

Coincidentally, both new ports of these hugely successful open-world games are coming out on the same day, November 11, later this year. These games have outlasted multiple console generations.

I suspect that in 20 years kids will still be buying ports of GTA V and Skyrim. It’s only a matter of time before phones become powerful enough to easily run them, so expect further proliferation in the not-so-distant future.

When I die, bury me in Skyrim ports. And maybe toss in a copy of Elder Scrolls 6. And GTA 6 as well.

French games used to be weird

Polygon 19 August, 2021 - 04:49pm

In the ’80s in France, adventure games were king

These include games like La Femme Qui Ne Supportait Pas Les Ordinateurs, from Chine Lanzmann. La Femma is a text-based game whose interface is made to resemble the early French network Calvados.

In it you play a woman in an online chat room encountering various characters who all want to have sex with you, one of them being your own sentient computer. The writing is excellent. It feels nasty and uncomfortable to play, but it’s also quite funny. The characters’ thirsty, over-the-top reactions constantly made me chuckle. Early on, if you tell the computer that you’re blonde, it reacts with the textual equivalent of Pepé le Pew seeing that dang cat.

La Femme is a branching narrative that leads to six endings, all of which suck. The game was based on Lanzmann’s own experience moderating discussions on Calvados’ message boards. And if you’re thinking, “Wow, wild that one of the earliest French video games is about being a woman getting harassed online, that sounds weirdly topical,” well — this was not at all out of place for French games in the ’80s and early ’90s!

Sure, you had your racing games, faux-Donkey Kongs, and your Chess sims. But there were also a surprising amount of developers who were using games to explore their issues with the world around them.

Some of the main culprits here were Froggy Software, a company started by Jean-Louis Le Breton and Fabrice Gille. Along with La Femme, they published a game called Baratin Blues, which satirized right-wing Parisian mayor Jacques Chirac’s attempts to privatize the Parisian water system. On the other end of the political spectrum, they published Le mur de Berlin va sauter — the Berlin Wall is gonna BLOW — a game where you’re trying to stop a gay leftist terrorist from yeah, blowing up the Berlin Wall, which sounds like it could be the plot of the next Far Cry game.

Le Breton and Gille were both “soixante-huitards” — participants in the May ’68 protests that almost tore the country apart. May ’68 was about protesting capitalism, consumerism, and American imperialism. According to video game scholar Filip Jankowski, Le Breton and Gille brought that rebellious energy to Froggy Software, developing and publishing games that gave the middle finger to the status quo.

The most groundbreaking of these games might have come from Muriel Tramis. Tramis was a programmer working on military drones for Aerospatiale, but in 1986 she decided to give it up and make games. Tramis landed at Coktel Vision, where she was given free rein. She made educational games, like La bosse des maths. She made a classic puzzle-adventure series called Gobliins. She made erotica, like Emmanuelle and Fascination, and in the ’90s she experimented with FMVs like Urban Runner.

But the two games she’s perhaps best known for are Méwilo and Freedom. Méwilo is an adventure game set in Tramis’ homeland of Martinique, and co-written with Creolité author Patrick Chamoiseau. The game stars a paranormal psychologist in 1902, investigating a city literally haunted by France’s imperialism. But that’s just a pretext for experiencing the “economic, political and religious life,” in St. Pierre. The game earned Tramis a Silver Medal from the Ministry of Culture in 1988.

This counter-cultural moment of France’s game industry still couldn’t survive the industry’s growth and the black hole of capitalism. As the industry matured into the ’90s, consoles and action games pushed PCs and adventure games to the fringe.

Coktel Vision, where Muriel Tramis did so much of her work, merged with Vivendi in 2003, and Tramis found that she just didn’t like the new company culture — she had less creative freedom. Nowadays she manages her own company, Avantilles, where she makes 3D software.

That little story is pretty indicative of the way games publishing as a whole has gone. Companies become larger, make games for a broader audience — and when you appeal to a broad audience, everything is diluted. In the case of French developers (and all developers, let’s be real), “broad” eventually came to mean an anglophone player base. A lot of games that come out of European developers will have a large English-speaking, and more importantly, majority American audience. Games are being made to cater to us.

Massive publishers like Ubisoft may dominate the industry these days, but there are still French indie developers making their own offbeat, sexy, political games that reflect their own reality, just like the auteurs of the ’80s once did. Games like Haven and Dordogne now carry the torch.

Check out the video to see more funky old French games from the ’80s, and make sure you subscribe to Polygon’s YouTube channel for this and more videos.

Skyrim is getting a free fishing update and a new Anniversary Edition later this year

PC Gamer 19 August, 2021 - 04:34pm

The new edition will feature the Skyrim Special Edition and a mountain of Creation Club content.

The Skyrim Anniversary Edition will include the Special Edition version of the game, a remastered release with high-resolution textures, upgraded visual effects, and the Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn add-ons, along with more than 500 pieces of Creation Club content: new quests, dungeons, bosses, weapons, spells, and more. If you haven't played Skyrim yet and you're looking to jump in, this is definitely the place to do it.

And if you have already played it, you're not being left out, as the Anniversary Edition will be available as an upgrade for the Special Edition as well. A free next-gen upgrade will also launch on the same day, although it's not clear yet whether it will come to PC (I've asked) and—this is the big one—Bethesda is adding fishing to the game, too. Finally—real fishing!

"It's something I've always wanted to do in Skyrim," managing director Ashley Cheng said. "You don't have to dive into the water and click blindly anymore. You can now grab a fishing pole, do some fishing quests. It's a great addition to the game, it'll be free to everyone, and it really adds to the immersion of the world."

Thank you for signing up to PC Gamer. You will receive a verification email shortly.

There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.

© Future US, Inc. 11 West 42nd Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10036.

Bethesda Announces Skyrim Anniversary Edition, Coming November 11

TheGamer 19 August, 2021 - 04:16pm

For those that haven't heard of Bethesda's Creation Club service, it's essentially a shop full of very small pieces of downloadable content that you can pay for. The service mainly contains fancy cosmetics and weapon skins, but can sometimes also contain some pretty nifty gameplay additions. The Anniversay Edition of Skyrim looks to add over 500 of these small items.

It also seems like those who already own Skyrim Special Edition will be able to upgrade to the Anniversary Edition for free, and those playing on PS5 and Xbox Series X will also receive a free next-gen console upgrade. The price of this fancy new edition - for the three of you out there who don't own Skyrim yet - has not been announced, but Skyrim Anniversary Edition will be coming to PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

In other Skyrim-related news, several developers have been sharing their stories regarding Skyrim's development, one of which revealed that Skyrim's now iconic intro scene took "forever to make" due to a bee that kept sending the cart you're riding into orbit.

Another developer - inspired by the bee story - has explained the "Treasure Fox" myth that has been shared by the Skyrim community since release. It's believed that if a player follows a fox in Skyrim, they will eventually be led to treasure, but developer Joel Burgess has explained that's not quite the case. According to Burgess, the fox's AI is simply looking for a large amount of "navmesh triangles", which camps and forts have a large amount of.

Technology Stories