Brewers fielder Ryan Braun officially retires

Sports

WISN Milwaukee 14 September, 2021 - 05:15pm 3 views

Did Ryan Braun retire?

After 14 seasons with the team, Ryan Braun has decided to retire. Braun had been sitting out the 2021 season after the guaranteed years on his contract played out and his options were not picked up. Brew Crew BallRyan Braun retires after 14 seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers

Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun is officially retiring from Major League Baseball.

The latest breaking updates, delivered straight to your email inbox.

He made the announcement Tuesday morning on the Brewers Twitter account.

"Today, more than 14 years after I first took the field as a Milwaukee Brewer, I've decided to retire," Braun said in a video. "While it's impossible to summarize my emotions, what I feel most is one, simple thing – gratitude. I just wanted to take a moment to say 'thank you.'"

"I have weighed this decision for many months. While I still love this game very much, the time is right for me to retire from my playing days," Braun said. "It's difficult to describe my emotions today, but it starts with overwhelming gratitude to those who have shared this experience with me while offering their unconditional support at every turn."

Braun hasn't played for the Brewers since the 2019 season.

He said earlier this year he was no longer interested in playing baseball.

Braun won the 2007 National League Rookie of the Year Award and the 2011 National League MVP Award.

The 37-year-old has spent his entire career with the Brewers.

Braun is the Brewers' all-time franchise home run leader and made six All-Star Game appearances.

He thanked his teammates, coaches, clubhouse staff, owners and fans.

"I will forever appreciate the best fans in the game and the countless people who came out to the ballpark night after night, making Milwaukee the greatest city to play the game," Braun said. "I also want to thank all the coaches I had throughout my baseball career. From t-ball to high school, college, the Minor and Major Leagues; they profoundly impacted my life. This collective group of family, friends and fans helped me reach where I stand today - a place of immense gratitude that I can't truly describe."

Brewers fans will have the chance to celebrate with Braun as he will be honored in a pregame ceremony on the field at the Sept. 26 game against the New York Mets.

"Ryan brought us many unforgettable moments on the field; from playoff-clinching, dramatic home runs to nearly 2,000 career hits, he is unquestionably one of the greatest players in Brewers history," Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said. "Moreover, Ryan has become a good friend to our family, and his commitment of countless service hours and more than $1 million to community causes over the years has impacted many lives."

Braun finished his career as a .296 hitter with 352 HR, 1,154 RBI and 216 stolen bases in 1,766 games.

He drew controversy in 2011 after confidential urine test results were leaked to ESPN.

Braun faced a potential 50-game suspension for use of a banned substance but appealed the positive test result and a panel overturned the punishment decision.

In 2013, MLB suspended Braun for 65 games plus the postseason for his involvement with the Biogenesis clinic.

He later admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs and apologized.

Hearst Television participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on purchases made through our links to retailer sites.

Read full article at WISN Milwaukee

Brewers great Braun officially retires

ABC 10 UP 15 September, 2021 - 01:30pm

Brewers Podcast: The highlights of Ryan Braun's career with the Milwaukee Brewers

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 15 September, 2021 - 09:16am

Chicago Cubs villain Ryan Braun leaves behind a complicated legacy

Cubbies Crib 15 September, 2021 - 07:00am

When you think of the archetypal Chicago Cubs villain of recent, who comes to mind first? Maybe it’s Yadier Molina, the stalwart catcher and face of the bitter rival Cardinals, or his former teammate, Albert Pujols, arguably the most notorious Cub killer ever. Perhaps guys like 2015 Daniel Murphy and 2017 Justin Turner, both of whom crushed the team in the postseason, still haunt you.

For me, it’s hard to find a better villain than Ryan Braun. Braun recently announced his retirement and I couldn’t help but reflect on the terror he inflicted throughout his tenure with the Milwaukee Brewers. For 14 seasons, he was one of the most feared and loathed hitters on the North Side, both because of how well he swung the bat and his actions off the field.

In over 193 games against the Cubs, Braun crushed the boys in blue with 40 home runs and a .311/.387/.558 slash line. He hit the entirety of the NL Central well, but the Cubs were his favorite punching bag of them all. He was certainly a talented hitter, earning Rookie of the Year honors in 2007 and an MVP award in 2011 alongside six All-Star nods.

Perhaps his most infamous moment of villainy on the field came on September 28, 2008, when he single-handedly swung the Brewers to their first postseason in 26 years against the Cubs. With his former teammate and manager Craig Counsell on base, Braun came up in the eighth against Cubs reliever Bob Howry. The first pitch he saw wouldn’t see the field again, winning the game for the Brewers and propelling the North Side’s rivals into the playoffs.

It’s not as simple as just being a good player on a rival team though. Braun’s legacy will forever be marred by his 2013 PED scandal. Braun had initially claimed that the test he received during his 2011 season was tampered with, insinuating that the handler, Dino Laurenzi Jr, was responsible, reportedly claiming that he was an anti-Semite and a Cubs fan. It’s truly despicable behavior aimed at ruining another person’s life and reputation for the sake of self-preservation. It gave fans a whole other, completely justifiable reason to boo.

For this reason, I feel torn on Braun. A part of me is sad to see him go because every good story needs a good villain and Braun was among the best at that. He gave fans a reason to root a little harder for the Cubs to pull out a W whenever they played Milwaukee and helped foster that rivalry as one of the greatest Brewers ever.

On the other hand, his actions were detestable and are still hard to get past to this day, even if he has since tried to pay his debts to society and become a force for good in the Milwaukee community.

Want your voice heard? Join the Cubbies Crib team!

Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide if he’s worth forgiving and respecting, but there’s no denying the memories (mostly nightmares) he left in Chicago. No matter how much time passes, we’ll always hold a little bit of hatred in our hearts for Braun as an all-time Cubs villain. To be honest, I don’t think he, nor Cubs fans, would have it any other way.

Build your custom FanSided Daily email newsletter with news and analysis on Chicago Cubs and all your favorite sports teams, TV shows, and more.

Your favorite teams, topics, and players all on your favorite mobile devices.

Powered by Minute Media © 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Was Samoa Joe’s Injury A Storyline Decision? - eWrestlingNews.com

TMJ4 News 14 September, 2021 - 05:05pm

A new report from PWInsider however, has offered some clarity on various aspects regarding the injury.

The report notes that the injury is a legitimate one, with the call for Joe to relinquish his title being made by WWE’s medical staff. The decision was in no way a creative decision, and tonight’s scheduled Fatal-4-Way match for the NXT Championship is just WWE’s way of rolling with the punches.

Samoa Joe’s injury is not expected to be a long-term one. Instead, Joe is expected to return in the near future, but a return date has not been decided or planned.

You can keep up with all your wrestling news right here on eWrestlingNews. Or, you can follow us over on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Joe was previously known for his time with promotions Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) and Ring of Honor (ROH). He established himself in ROH from ...

Was Samoa Joe’s Injury A Storyline Decision? - eWrestlingNews.com

ESPN 14 September, 2021 - 05:05pm

Kushida should have gone full Botchamania. "You talk too much... homeboy you never shut up!"

But haven't we seen New Day vs Uso's enough already?

607 comments · 3 hours ago

427 comments · 1 day ago

Brewers fielder Ryan Braun officially retires

Yahoo Sports 14 September, 2021 - 11:04am

The latest breaking updates, delivered straight to your email inbox.

He made the announcement Tuesday morning on the Brewers Twitter account.

Braun hasn't played for the Brewers since the 2019 season.

He said earlier this year he was no longer interested in playing baseball.

The 37-year-old has spent his entire career with the Brewers.

He thanked his teammates, coaches, clubhouse staff, owners and fans.

He later admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs and apologized.

Sports Stories