Celebrities React to Valerie Bertinelli's Emotional Instagram About Body Shaming

Yahoo Lifestyle 11 July, 2021 - 08:00am 15 views

Is Valerie Bertinelli still married to Tom?

In May 2010, Bertinelli announced her engagement to financial planner Tom Vitale, with whom she had begun a relationship in 2004. They were married on January 1, 2011 in Malibu, California, with Bertinelli in a custom-made dress by designer David Meister. She has four step children through her marriage to Vitale. wikipedia.orgValerie Bertinelli

On Thursday, the Hot in Cleveland and Food Network star posted an emotional video and noted that while she "was going through some recipes online," she "made the mistake of reading the comments."

"Someone...decided to point out that I need to lose weight," she said, tearing up. "...You're not being helpful."

"When you see somebody who has put some weight on, my first thought is that person is obviously going through some things, because if I could lose the weight and keep it off, I would," she continued. "But since I haven't been successful with that my whole entire life, at 61 I'm still dealing with [it]. You think I'm not tired of it, lady?"

Bertinelli has had a tough year, as her ex-husband, Eddie Van Halen, died last October. "Where's the compassion?" she asked her Instagram followers. "You think a stupid little comment like 'you need to lose weight,' not f**king helpful."

The actress was also very candid about her emotions in the caption for her video. "Aren’t we tired of body shaming women yet?! smh," she wrote. "I was going to delete my stories because it’s a little embarrassing and scary to be so vulnerable. But then I realized it was hitting a ‘good’ nerve with so many of you who were so sweet to dm and share your same vulnerability and struggles. We all could use a little more kindness and patience and grace, because we just never know what someone else is going through. So here it is. Not deleting. Owning it. ♥️ #compassion"

Bertinelli's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, commented on his mother's vulnerable message, writing, "You’re perfect the way you are, Ma. I love you ❤️ (also for no particular reason, what was that f**ker’s @ so I can harass them with memes?)"

Demi Lovato, who has been vocal about her struggles with body shamers, also commented, writing,  "I love you. You said it yourself, you’re already enough AND whoever said that is hurting.. or not being shown enough compassion in their lives.. I’m sorry you had to deal with this. Here for you always 🙏🏼💞"

In addition, musician Michelle Branch came to Bertinelli's defense. "You’re so beautiful and such an inspiration. I’ve been on the receiving end of comments like these so many times," she wrote. "Hell, half my life! It f**king hurts. Thank you for being vulnerable and authentic and always leading with such heart."

Back in 2016, Bertinelli opened up to ET about learning how to love her body. "Do I want my jeans to be a little looser? Hell yeah!" she said. "But I'm happy today."

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

® & © 2021 CBS Studios Inc. © 2021 CBS Television Distribution and CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Read full article at Yahoo Lifestyle

Valerie Bertinelli in Tears Over Body-Shaming Troll

Inside Edition 11 July, 2021 - 12:41pm

Valerie Bertinelli Claps Back at Body-Shamer Over Weight Gain: ‘You’re Not Being Helpful’

Closer Weekly 11 July, 2021 - 12:41pm

Actress and cooking show host Valerie Bertinelli was driven to tears by a hateful comment on Instagram where a troll told her she needed to lose weight. The 61-year-old shared a video with her fans about how deeply it hurt her, and how they were “not being helpful” as she has battled yo-yo weight issues all her life.

The Valerie’s Home Cooking host explained how she was going through recipes online for an upcoming segment, “and I made the mistake of reading the comments. Someone decided to point out that I need to lose weight.”

The Hot in Cleveland star began to tear up and sarcastically said, “Because see, I don’t have a scale or I don’t have clothes that I’m trying to put on every day, and I don’t have mirrors, so I don’t see what’s become of me. So, I needed that help to let me know that I need to lose weight.”

“You’re not being helpful. Because when you see somebody who has put some weight on, my first thought is, ‘That person is obviously going through some things,’” Valerie continued.

Not only did the actress deal with the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdowns in 2020, she lost her ex-husband and close friend, Eddie Van Halen, to cancer in October. He’s the father of her only child, Wolfgang Van Halen.

Valerie and Eddie were married from 1981 through 2007 and remained a big part of each other’s lives until his death. “I miss him. And I’m allowed to miss him,” Valerie heartbreakingly revealed on the Today Show in February 2021.

“If I could lose the weight and keep it off, I would,” the Food Network star shared, while welling up with tears. After a long pause, she continued, “But since I haven’t been successful with that my whole entire life at 61 I’m still dealing with it — you think I’m not tired of it?”

“Where’s the compassion?” Valerie asked. “You think a stupid little comment like ‘you need to lose weight’ … not f—king helpful,” she added before ending her message.

Valerie had originally posted the video to her Instagram Stories on July 8 but decided to make a full post about it so that all her fans could see it after the 24-hour window was up. “Aren’t we tired of body-shaming women yet?! smh,” she began in the caption.

“I was going to delete my stories because it’s a little embarrassing and scary to be so vulnerable. But then I realized it was hitting a ‘good’ nerve with so many of you who were so sweet to DM and share your same vulnerability and struggles. We all could use a little more kindness and patience and grace, because we just never know what someone else is going through. So here it is. Not deleting. Owning it,” she added.

Valerie’s fans gave her an outpouring of love and support, and she let them know how much she appreciated it in a July 9 Instagram video over her morning coffee. “Thank you … there’s so much kindness out there. I certainly don’t feel so alone anymore,” she said with a smile. “It’s the shame part that’s hard to get rid of. It’s a stupid emotion that’s absolutely useless. But I just wanted to say thank you.”

Closer Weekly has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products and services.

Valerie Bertinelli breaks down while slamming body-shaming troll

Daily Mail 11 July, 2021 - 12:41pm

By Erica Tempesta For Dailymail.com

Valerie Bertinelli has tearfully detailed her life-long struggle with weight loss while hitting back at a critic who body-shamed her online, saying the comment is 'not f**king helpful.'

The Food Network host, 61, opened up on her Instagram Stories on Thursday, explaining that she was going through her recipes online when she 'made the mistake of reading the comments.'

'Someone … decided to point out that I needed to lose weight,'  Bertinelli said, her voice filled with emotion as she spoke to the camera.

Hurt: Valerie Bertinelli, 61, opened up on  her Instagram Stories about her life-long  struggle to lose  weight and keep it off after she was body-shamed by an online troll

'Because see, I don't have a scale or I don't have clothes that I'm trying to put on every day and I don't have mirrors so I don't see what's become of me,' she added, sarcastically. 'So I needed that help to let me know that I need to lose weight.'

The actress stressed that she is frustrated with her ongoing struggle to lose weight, saying people should empathetic, not judgmental.

'You're not being helpful,' she explained. 'Because when you see somebody who has put some weight on, my first thought is, "That person is obviously going through some things." Because if I could lose the weight and keep it off, I would.

'But since I haven't been successful with that my whole entire life — at 61 I'm still dealing with [it]. You think I'm not tired of it, lady? Where's the compassion? she asked. 'Not f**king helpful.'

Regret it: Bertinelli said she 'made the mistake of reading the comments' while going through her recipes online and saw that someone told her she 'needed to lose weight'

Hitting back: Bertinelli sarcastically pointed out that she has a scale, mirrors, and clothes that remind her daily that she has put on weight

Back off: The actress stressed that the person was 'not being helpful,' saying she would lose weight and keep it off if she could

Hours later, Bertinelli shared the video on her Instagram feed, admitting in the caption that she had initially planned on deleting the footage but decided against it.

'Aren’t we tired of body shaming women yet?!' she wrote. 'I was going to delete my stories because it’s a little embarrassing and scary to be so vulnerable.

'But then I realized it was hitting it a "good" nerve with so many of you who were so sweet to dm and share your same vulnerability and struggles,' she continued.

'We all could use a little more kindness and patience and grace, because we just never know what someone else is going through.

'So here it is. Not deleting. Owning it.'

Best shape of her life: Bertinelli lost nearly 50 pounds in 2009 thanks to the Jenny Craig program and consistent workouts. She celebrated by posing for a bikini shoot

Grieving: In the past five years, she lost both her father Andy and mother Nancy, who died in 2016 and 2019, respectively

Heartache: While grieving the loss of her parents, her ex-husband, rock icon Eddie Van Halen, passed away in October at age 65. They're pictured  in 1992

Hit show: Bertinelli started alongside Bonnie Franklin and Mackenzie Phillips on the popular show One Day At A Time (pictured in 1975)

Looking back: Bertinelli (pictured in 1985) has struggled with body-image issues since she was a child

Acceptance: Bertinelli  (pictured in 2019) wrote about learning to stop judging herself in her upcoming book Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I am Today

'This book is about letting go of the mindset that made me feel broken and always trying to fix something about myself,' she told People. 'It's the most personal, intimate writing I've done.'

Coming soon: Bertinelli's new book will  be released in January 2022

'I explore the things that I have gone through and continue to deal with in getting to where I am today — topics that I think will be familiar to many people — my relationship to food, being a mom, mid-life career changes, aging parents, saying goodbye to loved ones, and asking why the hell have I been so hard on myself for so long,'

Bertinelli has also been confirmed as part of the cast of the upcoming NBC comedy pilot, Hungry — which has been described as being about 'a group of friends with food issues.'

The Daytime Emmy-winning actress is currently set to appear alongside Demi Lovato in the forthcoming single-camera feature that the 28-year-old singer will both star in and executive produce.

The pilot was originally greenlit earlier this year, and Hot In Cleveland creator Suzanne Collins will both write episodes and serve as a producer on the project.

Bertinelli is set to portray Lisa, an emotionally turbulent restaurant owner who is also the mother of Teddy, who will be played by Lovato.

The character serves as the lead's confidant and best friend while also dealing with her own issues at the same time.

Other performers who have been confirmed to be appearing in the forthcoming comedy pilot include Anna Akana, Rory O'Malley, and Alex Brightman.

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

How Valerie Bertinelli turned her pain into power

KITV Honolulu 11 July, 2021 - 12:41pm

Updated 3:59 PM ET, Sat July 10, 2021

Sign up for CNN Opinion's new newsletter.

Join us on Twitter and Facebook

Valerie Bertinelli expresses some regret at contributing to 'diet culture' by hyping Jenny Craig

Fox News 11 July, 2021 - 09:04am

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper.

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment.

Valerie Bertinelli is speaking out about her past "buying into the diet industry" after posting an emotional video in which she reacted to a body shamer online.

The actress and television personality shared a video on her Instagram over the weekend in which she got emotional and started crying. She delivered a speech to her followers highlighting a commenter on a previous post who noted that Bertinelli needed to lose weight.

While the video ended on a note of empowerment in which the star called for people to employ empathy when they see that a public or private figure in their lives has gained weight, some took notice of the fact that the former pitchwoman for Jenny Craig is now speaking out about body shaming issues.

In response to one particularly aggressive commenter on Twitter, Bertinelli copped to the fact that she has "helped create the problem" in the past when it comes to giving people negative body image issues.

"Sorry Valerie Bertinelli @Wolfiesmom - you spent decades telling the rest of us to get thin, shilled weight loss shakes, potions & snake oil & NOW wanna be a body shaming warrior? You don’t get to be a victim when you helped create the problem. Grow up if you can’t take the heat," the user wrote.

On Saturday, Bertinelli responded: "Somehow I don’t think you’re really sorry, but, let me respond anyway. I’m not a victim. I can take the heat. I made the video so I could get my feelings out instead of squashing them down and eating them, which is what I usually do."

In a follow-up tweet, the actress addressed her time as a Jenny Craig spokesperson, expressing her regret at buying into a system of diet culture and hyping it for other women experiencing the same issues as her as a solution.

"Yes, I spent 6 years ‘shilling’ for Jenny Craig. (your math’s a little off)," she wrote. "I have been buying into the diet industry my whole life and then I became part of the problem, so here I am today receiving the karma of my actions."

Bertinelli concluded: "You can go ahead and judge all you like. However, I can warn you, from experience, that kind of karma doesn’t feel great either."

In her initial video post, Bertinelli responded to a negative comment noting that she’s put on weight in the last year.

"Because see, I don’t have a scale or have clothes that I’m trying to put on every day and I don’t have mirrors so I don’t see what’s become of me. So I needed that help to let me know that I need to lose weight," the star said sarcastically. "You’re not being helpful."

The actress has had a difficult year. In addition to dealing with the coronavirus pandemic like the rest of the world, her ex-husband and father of her son, Eddie Van Halen, died in October.

Valerie Bertinelli Opens Up About How She Stopped Judging Herself for Weight Gain

Yahoo Lifestyle 10 July, 2021 - 09:13am

The best-selling cookbook author and actress details her enlightenment in her upcoming memoir, Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am Today. The book—releasing in January 2022—explains her innermost struggles, and she describes it to People as “the most personal, intimate writing I’ve done.”

“This book is about letting go of the mindset that made me feel broken and always trying to fix something about myself,” she added. “I explore the things that I have gone through and continue to deal with in getting to where I am today—topics that I think will be familiar to many people—my relationship to food, being a mom, mid-life career changes, aging parents, saying goodbye to loved ones, and asking why the hell have I been so hard on myself for so long.”

It’s a message plenty of women can relate to, especially from Bertinelli, who has been open about her journey to self-love over the last few years. At the beginning of 2020, she made a new year resolution to “choose happy” and committed to focusing on her mental health over her physical appearance.

“It became, ‘I’d like to lose the weight but I may never lose the weight. How do I love me for who I am right now? Today. At this body. At this age,’” she told People at the time. “That means you have to do the internal work. I’ve been really good at covering it up and eating through it.”

It’s clear that writing her memoir helped her begin some of that work, and she hopes it can help others take the plunge. “I cover a lot [in the book],” she told People. “But ultimately it’s about growing older, with the emphasis on growth, learning lessons and reminding myself—and hopefully those who read the book—that life is a gift and too short to waste.”

The Food Network star had a powerful response to a troll who commented on her weight.

The 61-year-old asks for "compassion" in a vulnerable Instagram post.

“If you are not happy and healthy, nothing in your life will be as happy or healthy as it can be."

New weight loss technology out of New Zealand encourages obese patients to clamp their teeth together to drop pounds.

Yes, you can eat what you love and still lose weight.

In an interview with InStyle, Megan Fox clapped back at haters.

She’s also known for her amazing impressions of music legends like Diana Ross, Tina Turner and Mary J. Blige. The post Meet Shi-Queeta Lee, the first ever drag queen to be invited to perform at the White House appeared first on In The Know.

Save 63 percent off this beauty! It targets wrinkles, scars and large pores.

Got tech neck? With six massage heads, 20 power levels and three hours of battery life, this gizmo melts pain away with ease.

The singer and actress split from Mike Caussin this spring, citing "inappropriate marital conduct, irreconcilable differences and adultery."

The 48-year-old actress is bringing the heat!

Sony TVs, Philips headphones, Shark vacs, Pioneer Woman cookware and video games galore — the sales are still popping!

The singer had a miscarriage in 2015 and has been vocal about shattering stigmas around reproductive health.

"It’s all a journey right," Corrin posted on Instagram. "Lots of twists and turns and change and that’s ok! Embrace it.” Here's what binding is all about.

Top Stores