Celtics great Paul Pierce isn't apologizing for viral video with strippers: 'I didn’t do anything illegal'

Sports

Fox News 07 September, 2021 - 08:29pm 18 views

Why was Paul Pierce fired from ESPN?

Pierce was fired by ESPN in April for an Instagram live video with smoking, gambling and stripping that he insists, perhaps unconvincingly, was accidental. “I was done with them, anyway,” Pierce told SI about his ill-fated TV career. “It wasn't a great fit. New York Daily NewsPaul Pierce says he has nothing to apologize for

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper.

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

Boston Celtics great Paul Pierce will be enshrined into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame on Saturday, but during a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, "The Truth" discussed the viral Instagram Live video of him drinking and smoking while surrounded by strippers at a poker party back in April.

After the video went viral, Pierce’s job as an NBA analyst at ESPN was over.

"It wasn’t a great fit," Pierce told SI.com. "There’s a lot of stuff over there that you can’t say. And you have to talk about LeBron [James] all the time."

Pierce said that the network never asked him to apologize, however, his agent suggested that he should do it so it wouldn’t affect Hall of Fame voting this upcoming year. Pierce ended up making the Hall of Fame even though he didn’t follow through with his agent’s suggestion.

"Come on, I didn’t do anything illegal," Pierce told the website. "These motherf------ in the Hall of Fame, some did [cocaine], f--king battery. What the f--k did I do? I was just having a good time. All the people coming after me, half you motherf------ do the same s--t. You’re just hiding it. And you all are married while you’re doing it. I’m divorced. I’m retired. I’m having fun."

Pierce, a 10-time All-Star, played 15 seasons for the Celtics. He led Boston an NBA championship in 2008 and was named Finals MVP. Pierce is second in franchise history in points and third in games played.

Dan Canova is a Digital Reporter for Fox News and Fox Business. Follow Dan Canova on Twitter at @DanCanova. If you've got a tip, you can email Dan at Daniel.Canova@fox.com

Read full article at Fox News

5 NBA players who will break out with new teams in 2021-22 season

ClutchPoints 07 September, 2021 - 11:30pm

The 2021 offseason saw a lot of player movement around the NBA. The landscape of the league has changed quite a bit with some big names and key free agents taking their talents elsewhere. Some players definitely elevated their new teams to contender status with their respective arrivals, while others gave newfound hope to teams looking to make the playoffs. Other players, meanwhile, just need a change of scenery in order to advance their respective careers. With that, here are five players who will break out with their new teams in the 2021-22 NBA season.

Kyle Kuzma’s tenure as a Laker finally ended this offseason after Los Angeles traded the streaky forward to the Washington Wizards in the deal that sent Russell Westbrook to the Purple and Gold.

Laker Nation has had a love-hate relationship with the 26-year old over the last couple of years, mainly due to their expectations of him. Many Lakers fans envisioned Kuzma to emerge as the third piece of the Lakers Big Three alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis. However, the 6-foot-10 stretch four struggled with inconsistency after Davis arrived, mainly due to having a new and lesser role.

His reputation has definitely taken a hit after a couple of subpar NBA seasons in his third and fourth year. But many forget that Kuzma made the All-Rookie First Team in his debut season and averaged 18.7 points as a sophomore for the Lakers. With a bigger role and a less bright spotlight in Washington, Kuzma could return to the promising trajectory he had going through his first two years in the NBA.

Lonzo Ball will play with his third team in five seasons after he signed a 4-year, $85 million deal with the Chicago Bulls this past summer.

So far, Ball hasn’t quite lived up to the billing of being the no. 2 overall pick of his class. Selected by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2017 NBA Draft, many expected Zo to become the point guard of the future for the storied Purple and Gold franchise. However, he didn’t play up to the very high standards that Lakers fans and the front office expected of him. In the end, Ball became part of the package that sent Anthony Davis to Los Angeles.

Ball looked poised to have a fresh start with the Pelicans. However, it seems like he wasn’t quite pleased with his situation with the Pels and looked elsewhere to further elevate his game. While Ball did show tremendous strides as a player, especially with his shooting, in his two years in New Orleans, the Pelicans weren’t showing much signs of improvement as a team that could actually contend in the NBA.

With the Bulls building a playoff-caliber core after acquiring All-Star center Nikola Vucevic last season and signing DeMar DeRozan this summer, Ball can finally get the chance to play for a winning situation.

The second Wizard on this list, Spencer Dinwiddie signed a 3-year, $54 million contract to go to Washington.

Dinwiddie could see a breakout campaign playing as the unquestioned starting point guard for Washington. Dinwiddie has shown what he is capable of in his tenure with the Nets. However, he hasn’t quite had a consistent role, shifting as a starter and a reserve in his seasons in Brooklyn and his workload only decreased when Kyrie Irving arrived.

Dinwiddie is coming off a partially torn ACL that forced him to miss all but three games of the 2020-21 NBA season. Nonetheless, with nobody else in front of him on the rotation, the 28-year old seems hungry to prove he is prime for a bigger role as the lead guard of an NBA team. Averaging 20.6 points the year before, Dinwiddie along with Bradley Beal could be one of the more fearsome scoring backcourts in the Eastern Conference.

After a rather tumultuous one-year run with the Golden State Warriors, Kelly Oubre Jr. made his way to the Charlotte Hornets on a 2-year, $24.6 million deal. The 6-foot-7 wing reportedly wanted to get a deal within the range of $15 million to $20 million, but the market dried up on him. He ended up becoming one of the later signings in NBA free agency and took less money than he expected.

Still, Oubre also wanted to get a larger role with his new squad and he should get his wish with the Hornets. Charlotte is a young, up-and-coming team in the East, looking to prove they can take the next step, which is making the postseason. In many ways, Oubre is the same with how he wants to prove his worth as a promising, explosive, young wing in the NBA.

As mentioned, Oubre struggled in his lone campaign with the Warriors. He had his fair share of highs, but also experienced the lowest of lows, especially when he infamously 7-of-51 (or 13.7 percent) from three through his first 10 games in the Bay Area. Perhaps his inconsistency and his historically bad shooting start to last season brought down his value a bit. Nonetheless, with more motivation to perform and prove himself, he could be poised a breakout with the Hornets in 2021-22.

Just kidding. Ben Simmons is very much still a member of the Philadelphia 76ers.

But yeah, with all the reports and drama surrounding him and the Sixers, it doesn’t seem likely he starts the 2021-22 NBA campaign in Philly. And even if he does, he’ll probably get traded midway through the season anyway.

In terms of breaking out, Simmons, as the dynamic and talented player that he is, should thrive in any situation he gets to and provide a positive impact to whatever new team that lands him.

Copyright © ClutchPoints. Partner of iOne Digital / Cassius Network.

Paul Pierce Reached the Hall of Fame but Has 1 Mission Left — Hunt Down His Father

Sportscasting 07 September, 2021 - 11:30pm

Pierce was raised by his mother, Lorraine, in Inglewood, California, after his father, George, left the family when Pierce was 6 years old. Despite not having George in the house as a child, Pierce focused on basketball. He thrived on the court, but it took him a little while to get going.

Pierce was cut from his high school team during his freshman and sophomore years at Inglewood High School. As a junior, however, Pierce proved to be the best player on the team in his junior year and was a McDonald’s All-American in his senior year.

He played collegiately at Kansas for three years before the Celtics made him the 10th pick in the 1998 NBA Draft. He spent 19 years in the NBA, the first 15 with the Celtics. Pierce did it all without hearing from George.

“I understand you didn’t have to be with my mom,” Pierce recently told Sports Illustrated. “All right, whatever. But you know, I’m still your son.”

On Sept. 25, 2000, Pierce was at a Boston nightclub and spoke briefly with two women before being approached by several men. The men punched, kicked, and stabbed Pierce after hitting him in the side of the head with a champagne bottle. According to Sports Illustrated, Pierce doesn’t recall a whole lot from that night.

Pierce’s teammate, Tony Battie, and Battie’s brother rushed Pierce to Tufts-New England Medical Center. Pierce remembers being in intense pain, the sleepless nights, and being angry after the incident. The only person he spoke with outside of basketball was his mother. He never heard from his father. Pierce received many calls and cards, wishing him well. None came from George.

“I know,” Pierce said. “I looked through every one.

“Why you didn’t you at least reach out? Ask how I’m doing. I never asked him for money. What happened? I think that’s every kid whose father isn’t around. What went wrong? I’m not going to judge you for it. He’s older now. I mean, I don’t have any hate for him.”

After the stabbing, Pierce’s way of keeping his anger under control was through basketball.

“I didn’t talk to friends, family, he said. “All I thought about was basketball. I just wanted to ball, and I wanted to take my anger out on everyone. I wanted to bust everyone’s ass who stepped in front of me.”

In the 2000-01 season, Pierce played all 82 games. He averaged 25.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. It still wasn’t enough for him to make his first NBA All-Star appearance. He wasn’t happy with that, either.

“I was so pissed off,” said Pierce. “I swore I would make it next year.”

He did. In the 2001-02 season, Pierce again played all 82 games. He put up 26.1 points and 6.9 rebounds per game and made the first of five straight NBA All-Star Games. After missing the game in the 2006-07 season, he made it five more consecutive years.

After reaching that goal, Pierce has another — to talk to his father.

He knows his father lives in northern California. While working for ESPN, he spoke with Jalen Rose, who never met his father. Rose told Pierce he wishes he did, but his father died in 2007. Pierce said his children have been asking questions, and he’d like to give them an answer. He insists he’ll reach out to him.

When this pandemic lifts,” said Pierce, “I’m going to do it.”

“I know,” Pierce said. “I looked through every one.

“I was so pissed off,” said Pierce. “I swore I would make it next year.”

After reaching that goal, Pierce has another — to talk to his father.

When this pandemic lifts,” said Pierce, “I’m going to do it.”

Paul Pierce Has No Regrets Over Stripper Twerk Party, 'Didn't Do Anything Illegal'

TMZ 07 September, 2021 - 11:30pm

What's trending in the sports world today.

Former NBA great Paul Pierce shed light on his exit from ESPN in an interview with Sports Illustrated this week and had eye-opening information to share.

Pierce, who will be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame this week, saw his role with ESPN come to abrupt end earlier this year.

“Here’s what happened: In April, Pierce was playing poker at a friend’s house in Los Angeles,” wrote Chris Mannix via SI.com. “There was drinking. And smoking. And strippers. And after a little too much drinking and smoking, Pierce decided to start an Instagram Live and, well, show off the strippers. He went on for a few minutes, riffing, he thought, for a couple hundred people. When he finished, he deleted it. He didn’t know IG Lives can be recorded (they can) and reposted (it was). Pierce went home that night thinking no one noticed. He woke up the next day and discovered everyone had.”

Pierce refused to apologize for the Instagram Live, which ultimately led to ESPN’s decision to move on from the NBA great.

In Sports Illustrated’s profile on Pierce this week, the former NBA forward revealed he was ready to walk away from ESPN before his departure occurred.

“I was done with them, anyway,” Pierce said. “It wasn’t a great fit. There’s a lot of stuff over there that you can’t say. And you have to talk about LeBron all the time.”

Paul Pierce has no regrets as he prepares to enter the Hall of Fame—not even for that one video https://t.co/LrbQydpHTc

— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 7, 2021

Take a look at what NBA fans have to say about Pierce’s eye-opening comments.

My god, man, I love Paul Pierce pic.twitter.com/JnuaO97c8y

— Al Horford Pacino (@alpacinogrunt) September 7, 2021

I love Paul Pierce. LOVE him calling out ESPN for their LeBron lust. He really is the truth. #TheTruth #34 https://t.co/0ii6XrWmY7

— Frosty Bias (@frostybias) September 7, 2021

— Doc (@MJK_NY31) September 7, 2021

"I was done with them, anyway. It wasn’t a great fit."

Paul Pierce did not like ESPN's topic selection which, a lot of the time, happened to be LeBron James 👀 pic.twitter.com/wiYmWDjp9U

— ClutchPoints (@ClutchPointsApp) September 7, 2021

Paul Pierce ultimately ended up being right. His actions in the infamous Instagram Live didn’t cost him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Pierce’s Hall of Fame festivities will begin this weekend.

Alek is a Writer at The Spun.

Copyright © 2021 The Spun · All Rights Reserved · Powered by BizBudding Inc.

Mavs Star-Duo Trade: Dirk Nowitzki Plus Paul Pierce?

Sports Illustrated 07 September, 2021 - 07:25pm

Before the Celtics emerged as a threat to win a championship with Pierce at the helm, the team was struggling. In fact, Boston finished with just a 24-58 record during the 2006-07 season. At this point, Pierce had enough and wanted to leave.

"I'm in my prime, and I’m watching all these other guys in the playoffs," Pierce told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated. "It was depressing. I thought I was out of there. I thought it was over."

Pierce had his eyes set on the Mavericks as a potential trade destination. He even ran into team-owner Mark Cuban in Las Vegas in the summer of 2007 and stated "I'm your missing piece."

The Mavericks were unable to get a deal done for Pierce. Afterward, the Celtics made an effort to get aggressive adding talent and managed to bring in Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen -- forming the famous "Big 3" that won the 2008 NBA Finals. To top it all off, Pierce was named Finals MVP.

Cuban revealed on his official Twitter account that Dallas had a 'done deal' with the Celtics 'after 2008' to land Pierce.

The Mavericks had a three-team deal lined up but as Cuban explained, "the third team killed the deal because they didn't know that a [first round pick] was going to the Celtics. They chose not to do the deal at all."

It's fascinating to think about what Dirk Nowitzki and Pierce could have achieved as a duo, or how the NBA would have been changed, in general. There sure is a lot to unpack from around the league in that regard when considering the various layers.

Paul Pierce Wilding During Poker Game, Asks Waitress If She Needs Moral Or Oral Support

Fadeaway World 07 September, 2021 - 10:53am

A couple of months after he lost his job as an ESPN analyst, receiving a lot of criticism for a controversial Instagram Live, the 2008 NBA champion isn't paying attention to what people say about him.

Last month, The Truth joined a big poker event in Los Angeles, showing a poor image during the game. One Youtube user pointed out the most 'interesting' moments of Pierce's participation in the 5-hour long live stream.

He's a couple of days away from becoming immortal and enter the Hall of Fame, the biggest accolade for any NBA player. Ironically, this is the moment when he's getting more criticism.

Sports Stories