Cillian Murphy to star as Oppenheimer in Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer

Entertainment

The A.V. Club 09 October, 2021 - 01:14pm 12 views

Despite producing six films with Warner Bros. — The Dark Knight trilogy, InceptionDunkirk, and Tenet — this next one is at Universal Pictures. The breakup comes after Nolan criticized WarnerMedia’s decision to move 2021 films to a simultaneous release in theaters and on HBO Max. Not his, though. Tenet premiered before vaccines did. “Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas’ films have shattered the limits of what cinematic storytelling can achieve,” said Donna Langley, Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman. “We are thrilled to be working alongside them on this exceptional and extraordinary project and are grateful for their shared passion and commitment to the theatrical experience.” The shade!

Read full article at The A.V. Club

Fact-checking AT&T's defense of single-handedly funding OAN

IGN 09 October, 2021 - 03:10pm

Madeline Peltz

AT&T is having a bad day after the first part of bombshell Reuters exposé uncovered the company’s extensive involvement in helping to create and fund the far-right conspiracy theory outlet One America News Network.

My colleague and OAN expert Bobby Lewis breaks the story down here.

Since the news of its support for OAN broke, AT&T has been in the press defending itself and trying to spin away its direct involvement in order to minimize the brand damage. The company’s statement, issued to The Hill and Deadline, is filled with half-truths and misdirections. Here’s a quick fact check:

FACT: No one would have any financial interest in OAN were it not for AT&T's early and ongoing support for the company. Per Reuters, "Ninety percent of OAN’s revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.” If that’s not what “funding” something looks like, I don’t know what does.

FACT: The Reuters article also covers this lawsuit. According to the report, the case was settled on undisclosed terms -- but a month later, OAN and another network owned by its founder and CEO Robert Herring began airing on DirecTV and have continued to ever since. This stipulation is pure spin and misdirection.

FACT: OAN was one of the preferred right-wing sources directly cited by former President Donald Trump to back up his authoritarian claim that the 2020 election was stolen, ultimately resulting in deadly violence at the U.S. Capitol on January 6. The stakes of renewing a far-right propaganda outlet like OAN are not comparable to those “hundreds of other channels” that did not play a role in inciting an insurrection.

FACT: Another misdirection -- OAN’s critics are not suggesting AT&T controls its programming. Rather, OAN would not exist were it not for AT&T’s financial support and distribution, as well as support from close personal relationships between the Herring family, which owns the network, and AT&T executives. Even worse, Reuters reports that Herring “has testified that the inspiration to launch OAN in 2013 came from AT&T executives.”

“They told us they wanted a conservative network,” Herring said during a 2019 deposition seen by Reuters. “They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [leftwing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one.”

Since manufacturing the demand, AT&T has been the primary distributor for OAN’s indiscriminate lies, racism, and conspiracy theories being blasted into the homes of millions of its subscribers. OAN’s programming is completely out of control, and AT&T, which is in the best position to rein in this threat to democracy, has actively decided against doing so.

FACT: AT&T is trying to minimize the damage to its core brand identity by attempting to shove the scandal off to another company. While DirecTV is now its own company following a spin-off deal earlier this year, AT&T owns 70% of it and has two representatives on the board.

Try as they might, the burden of this scandal lies squarely on the shoulders of AT&T executives.

© 2021 Media Matters for America

Sidney Crosby, 'in terrific shape,' is cleared to practice with the Penguins

CinemaBlend 09 October, 2021 - 12:20pm

Before making the quick flight from Pittsburgh to Columbus for their preseason finale, the Penguins got a boost Saturday morning when Sidney Crosby skated with his teammates for the first time since undergoing wrist surgery Sept. 8.

After he got in another individual workout at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, the captain stuck around as rest of the Penguins took the ice. The excitement among the players was palpable as they buzzed around for about a half hour.

“It was great to see him back. It’s exciting for us to be out there skating with him and having him back in the group,” Jeff Carter said. “He’s been around but nobody has been on the ice with him yet. So I guess it’s a good step for him.”

Crosby has been skating on his own throughout training camp and in recent days was cleared to use both hands on his stick. Practicing in a team setting was the next step in his recovery. And he sure looked like Sidney Crosby on Saturday.

His powerful legs are ready for game action and hands aren’t far behind. At one point, he cruised down the right wing and whizzed an against-the-grain shot that hit the crossbar behind Casey DeSmith and dropped into the net. On a 2-on-1 rush moments later, he flicked a perfect saucer pass on his backhand.

As the morning skate wound down, Crosby briefly stood at center ice and chatted with coach Mike Sullivan. The two shared a hearty laugh about something.

“It’s great for our team when he’s back on the ice,” Sullivan said. “I think our team had a jump in its step. He just has that influence on the group. Everybody’s excited that he’s getting closer. We’re obviously thrilled he’s back with the team.”

Sullivan expects Crosby, who had the surgery to hopefully repair a nagging injury to his left wrist, to join the Penguins on their two-game road trip to Florida to open the season so he can practice with the team. Expecting him to play in either of those games may be ambitious. But he could be back soon thereafter.

“He is on schedule and it does indicate progress. … We’re real encouraged with the progress that he’s made,” Sullivan said. “I think you guys got a chance to see where he’s at. He’s in terrific shape. He’s been working really hard with [skills development coach] Ty Hennes behind the scenes with what he can do.”

Crosby wasn’t the only Penguins forward to return to a team practice setting. Zach Aston-Reese is cleared to practice after a recent bout with COVID. He took part in Saturday’s morning skate after getting back on the ice on an individual basis Friday.

Sullivan said it’s now a matter of getting the winger back in game shape.

“I had a discussion with Zach after practice. He felt much better [Saturday] than he did [Friday], which is real encouraging. But we’ll monitor him every day and we’ll continue to progress him to a return-to-play point,” Sullivan said. “A lot of it’s going to do with how Zach responds to the workload that we give him.”

Jake Guentzel remains sidelined with COVID but should also return soon.

“He continues to be asymptomatic. So that’s real positive from our standpoint,” Sullivan said. “But he’s still in the protocol. There’s no change there.”

The Penguins on Saturday placed forward Anthony Angello on waivers. Angello during the preseason was in the mix for one of the final roster spots.

Angello, listed at 6-5 and 210 pounds, had five hits in Thursday’s preseason loss in Detroit. But Drew O’Connor and Dominik Simon have outplayed him in camp and the preseason. And the return of Aston-Reese is on the horizon. So it appears Angello will be sent down to the American Hockey League if he clears.

While with the Los Angeles Kings, Carter was in the same division as Danton Heinen for parts of the previous two seasons. Now they are linemates here.

“He’s fit in well. He’s a bigger guy that moves well. He’s got a lot of skill – I think probably more skill than people realize. It’s been good,” Carter said. “[Bryan Rust is] kind of that workhorse on our line and Heinen kind of follows him and gets into the dirty areas. It’s been good. We’ve still got a ways to go, though.”

Mike Matheson participated in Saturday’s morning skate after leaving Friday’s practice with a lower-body injury. … Juuso Riikola and Michael Chaput went unclaimed on waivers and have been assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. … Jason Zucker filled Guentzel’s spot on the top power-play unit Saturday.

First Published October 9, 2021, 5:20pm

Entertainment Stories

JCPenney