Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar passes away, age 58, from undisclosed cause

Daily Mail 15 July, 2021 - 05:08pm 5 views

Who died from the band Cinderella?

Jeff LaBar, guitarist for the hard rock band Cinderella, which rose to multi-platinum status in the late 1980s, has died at age 58. VarietyJeff LaBar, Guitarist for Hard Rock Band Cinderella, Dies at 58

By Cassie Carpenter For Dailymail.Com

Former Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar passed away, age 58, from an undisclosed cause at his Nashville apartment on Wednesday.

'So I just got the call. @jefflabar, my father, my hero, my idol, passed away today,' his son Sebastian confirmed on Instagram.

'I'm currently at a loss for words. I love you pop! If you could, please share pictures or video of all the fun times we all had with my dad. It would be greatly appreciated.'

Last selfie: Former Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar passed away, age 58, from an undisclosed cause at his Nashville apartment on Wednesday (pictured January 28)

LaBar fathered the 28-year-old Tantric guitarist from his marriage to ex-wife Gaile LaBar-Bernhardt, who reportedly found his body.

The Pennsylvania native gushed of Sebastian in November: 'You're twice the guitarist I ever was [and] have so much more to give. I couldn't be prouder [and] I love you so much.'

Jeff famously replaced Cinderella's original guitarist Michael Schermick in 1985 and played on all four of the band's albums until they broke up in 2017.

LaBar dropped his solo album One For The Road in 2014, and he also played with bands like Cheap Thrill, Freakshow, and the Naked Beggars.

His son Sebastian confirmed on Instagram: 'So I just got the call. @jefflabar, my father, my hero, my idol, passed away today. I'm currently at a loss for words. I love you pop!'

'You're twice the guitarist I ever was': LaBar fathered the 28-year-old Tantric guitarist (L, pictured in 2020) from his marriage to ex-wife Gaile LaBar-Bernhardt, who reportedly found his body

'Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone': The Pennsylvania native (pictured in 1989) famously replaced Cinderella's original guitarist Michael Schermick in 1985 and played on all four of the band's albums until they broke up in 2017

Slaughter co-founder Mark Slaughter tweeted a b&w snap of himself with the fellow glam metal rocker captioned: 'Gone to soon. RIP Jeff LaBar.'

Stryper co-founder Michael Sweet tweeted that he was 'deeply saddened' of Jeff's passing, calling him a 'gentleman and very kind.'

Poison drummer Rikki Rockett tweeted that he was 'blown away' and couldn't 'count the amount of shows we all did together with Cinderella and Poison.'

RIP: Jeff dropped his solo album One For The Road in 2014, and he also played with bands like Cheap Thrill, Freakshow, and the Naked Beggars (pictured in 2012)

Slaughter co-founder Mark Slaughter tweeted a b&w snap of himself with LaBar captioned: 'Gone to soon. RIP Jeff LaBar'

'May God bless you Jeff!' Stryper co-founder Michael Sweet tweeted that he was 'deeply saddened' of the glam metal rocker's passing, calling him a 'gentleman and very kind'

'Rest in peace my brother': Poison drummer Rikki Rockett tweeted that he was 'blown away' and couldn't 'count the amount of shows we all did together with Cinderella and Poison'

As of publication, none of LaBar's Cinderella bandmates - Tom Keifer, Eric Brittingham, and Fred Coury – have publicly commented on the tragic news.

'I believe it's all my fault,' the Nobody's Fool rocker told Another FN Podcast in 2016 of Cinderella's split after selling 15M records.

'It's no secret that I've had a drinking problem. And it showed its ugly face on one of those [cruises that Cinderella played]. I guess that's what caused a rift.

In shock: As of publication, none of Jeff's Cinderella bandmates - Tom Keifer (2-L), Eric Brittingham (R), and Fred Coury (2-R) – have publicly commented on the tragic news

Coming soon! LaBar was also an avid chef and foodie who collaborated with Chef 'Iron Mike' Rolchigo (L) to create a hot sauce, which was 'almost ready for production' as of July 1

'When I fell out on one of those cruise ships in front of everybody - like, basically O.D.'d - that's when the band, and mostly Tom, took notice and was, like, "What the f***?"'

Jeff added: 'It's just Tom and I that don't talk anymore. And I can only speculate that he's very disappointed and doesn't wanna see me die. He doesn't wanna witness me dying.'

LaBar was also an avid chef and foodie who collaborated with Chef 'Iron Mike' Rolchigo to create a hot sauce, which was 'almost ready for production' as of July 1.

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Read full article at Daily Mail

Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar dead at 58

Fox News 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Jeff's first wife, Gaile LaBar-Bernhardt, tells TMZ ... Jeff was found dead Wednesday inside his apartment in Nashville.

We're told Jeff had gone off the grid the past few days, with friends and family unable to reach him, so his ex-wife went to go check on him ... and that's when she found him dead.

The cause of death remains unclear.

Waiting for your permission to load the Instagram Media.

Jeff's son, Sebastian, who he shares with Gaile, is remembering his late father as his hero and idol ... and he shared some photos of all the fun times they had.

Cinderella was one of the biggest hard rock bands in the 1980s, famous for their big hair and smash hits “Nobody’s Fool” and “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone)” ... the band’s biggest Billboard hit. Jeff replaced the band's OG guitarist Michael Schermick.

Jeff also launched a solo career, releasing one record called "One For The Road" ... and he also played in a smaller band with his Cinderella bandmate, Eric Brittingham, the "Naked Beggars."

Cinderella Guitarist Jeff LaBar Dies at 58

American Songwriter 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Jeff LaBar obituary: Cinderella guitarist dies at 58

Legacy.com 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Jeff LaBar was the guitarist for the glam metal band Cinderella, known for hits including “Don’t Know What You Got (Till it’s Gone).”

LaBar joined Cinderella in 1985, replacing their original guitarist shortly before they recorded their debut album. Their singles in the late 1980s and early 1990s included “Nobody’s Fool,” “Coming Home,” “Shelter Me,” and “Don’t Know What You Got (Till it’s Gone),” which was their top-charting hit, reaching No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100. LaBar remained with Cinderella throughout the band’s existence, as they continued recording albums through 1994 and touring until 2013. He also played in Naked Beggars with Cinderella bandmate Eric Brittingham, and he released the 2014 solo album “One for the Road.”

“My older brother, Jack, played guitar. When he worked after school, I’d take his guitar & dance in front of a mirror to Alice Cooper records. After catching me a few times, he asked if I wanted to pose or play. He showed me three chords and a song book and the rest I taught myself by ear, listening to his records.” —from a 2014 interview for Back to the Hard Rock

Cinderella’s Jeff LaBar has passed. Thank you for the music & memories Jeff. Rest in Peace 🙏❤️🙏 #80s pic.twitter.com/BhNRFNNxvt

And here I am…posting something I was hoping to never have to post. My hero, supporter, and friend is gone. It caught me completely off guard today. I can't tell you what this guy meant to me. Long live, Jeff Labar. I miss him already. RIP pic.twitter.com/myHaCnR9LL

Blown away hearing about Jeff LaBar. I can’t count the amount of shows we all did together with Cinderella and Poison. Rest In Peace my Brother.

I took this picture of Jeff LaBar at an autograph signing for the band Cinderella on March 6, 1987. Jeff and the guys opened for Bon Jovi. What a great show! RIP Jeff Labar.🎸#JeffLaBar pic.twitter.com/jF9GIN6t0J

RIP Jeff Labar, guitarist of classic glam metal band Cinderella. They were the first concert DVD I had as a kid, and I always loved their albums like ‘Night Songs’. Thanks for the great music😔🤟. #jefflabar #Cinderella pic.twitter.com/ZFHOHuRvuw

Full obituary: Rolling Stone

News editor, Legacy.com. Named 2017's Obituary Writer of the Year by the Society of Professional Obituary Writers. Quoted by CNN, the New York Times, and Macleans.

Lives we remember, now and forever

Jeff LaBar, Guitarist for Hard Rock Band Cinderella, Dies at 58

Yahoo Entertainment 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Cinderella had not recorded an album since 1994 but had continued to tour until a few years ago, at which point they irretrievably broke up, according to band members.

On his Twitter account, LaBar made it clear that he was getting a new start when he described his current status as a “culinary school student studying to become a chef.” He frequently posted photos of his culinary concoctions on his Instagram account.

The musician’s son first shared news of the death on Instagram Wednesday. “So i just got the call… Jeff LaBar, my father, my hero, my idol, passed away today. I’m currently at a loss for words. I love you pop! … If you could, please share pictures or video of all the fun times we all had with my dad. It would be greatly appreciated.”

TMZ reported that LaBar’s first wife, Gaile LaBar-Bernhardt, told the outlet she had found the musician dead Wednesday inside his apartment in Nashville after no one had been able to reach him for several days.

“Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff,” former Cinderella band members Tom Keifer, Eric Brittingham and Fred Coury said in a joint statement. “The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared. Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us. We’re sending his wife Debinique, his son Sebastian, family, and friends our deepest condolences. Jeff’s memory and music will be with us forever. We all — band, family and management — appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love.”

LaBar was the second lead guitarist for Cinderella but joined by the time they recorded their debut album, 1986’s “Night Songs,” which rose to No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and was certified triple-platinum. It produced the band’s highest charting single, “Nobody’s Fool,” which made it to No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The group’s second album, “Long Cold Winter” in 1988, also made the album chart’s top 10 and was likewise certified for three million copies sold. A third release, 1990’s “Heartbreak Station,” went platinum. Popularity had waned by the time of the group’s recorded swan song, “Still Climbing,” which barely cracked the top 200 in 1994.

LaBar released a solo album, “One for the Road,” on a hard rock speciality label in 2014.

Even after the group stopped recording in the mid-’90s, it continued to tour on and off until as recently as 2015. But in 2017, Keifer said, “There’s been a lot of issues over the course of decades and build-up that is beyond repair at this point. So there won’t be any reunion.”

In a strikingly candid 2016 interview, LaBar admitted his part in the seemingly irreparable dispute, talking with “Another FN Podcast With Izzy Presley” about his struggles with addiction and inability at that time to achieve sobriety. “I can only speculate, but I believe it’s all my fault. It’s no secret that I’ve had a drinking problem. And it showed its ugly face on one of those [cruises that Cinderella played]. I guess that’s what caused a rift… When I fell out on one of those cruise ships in front of everybody — like, basically O.D.’d — that’s when the band, and mostly Tom, took notice and was, like, ‘What the fuck?'” He said he was still in communication with some band members, but he and Keifer did not talk anymore, “and I can only speculate that he’s very disappointed and doesn’t wanna see me die. He doesn’t wanna witness me dying.”

Added LaBar in the interview, “I have a history of drinking and cocaine… In the ’80s, it was cocaine abuse. In the ’90s, it was heroin. I went through every cliché phase that a rock star could go through. It just wasn’t highly publicized. I was arrested, I went through rehab, I did all the things Motley Crue did. I just didn’t publicize it. I was Motley Crue and Guns N’ Roses all wrapped into one. As a band, we tried to hide our dirty laundry, and most of our dirty laundry was me.”

Among those posting tributes was Michael Sweet of Stryper. “I’m deeply saddened to hear the news of the passing of Jeff LaBar,” he wrote. “I had the honor of meeting Jeff multiple times when he would attend our shows in Nashville, Tn. He was always a gentleman and very kind and complimentary. He was always very supportive of our band and I’ve always viewed him as a great guy with a big heart. May God bless you Jeff and may God bless the LaBar family, friends and fans worldwide. Godspeed my friend.”

“Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends,” the Scorpions wrote in a statement.

Sign up for Variety’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Musician released debut solo album, One for the Road, in 2014

(Reuters) -Netflix Inc said on Wednesday it has hired a former Facebook executive to lead its video games unit as the company ramps up its efforts to grow beyond its traditional streaming business. The streaming giant hired Mike Verdu, who was most recently a Facebook vice president, as VP of game development and he will report to Chief Operating Officer Greg Peters. Verdu founded his own defense software company at age 20 and sold it before shifting his team into video games in 1990.

Spears celebrates the decision in a sweet Instagram post filled with cartwheels and horseback riding.

The former president of a Montana oil processing company was sentenced to an extra day behind bars for repeatedly failing to show up to serve an earlier 18-month prison term stemming from a 2012 plant explosion that left two workers severely burned. Peter Margiotta, 64, of Edmonton, Alberta, had been convicted in 2019 of conspiracy and violations of the Clean Air Act in the blast at the Custom Carbon Processing Inc. plant in Wibaux, Mont. A subsequent blaze took firefighters eight days to bring under control. Prosecutors alleged Margiotta had cut numerous safety corners, creating what they called a “140 barrel bomb.”

Netflix hired Mike Verdu, a former Oculus and EA exec, as vice president of game development.

Friday night is wrestling night, and we don’t mean for the remote control. TNT’s new AEW: Rampage has released the first trailer for its new wrestling show, which debuts Friday, Aug. 13. The show marks the third hour of AEW weekly programming on the network. AEW: Rampage is filmed in front of a live audience […]

In a game of trivia, Courteney Cox and her daughter Coco were faced with of the biggest questions ever asked when it comes to the Friends sitcom: Chandler or Joey? See Coco's final answer.

The State Department will offer rewards up to $10 million for information leading to the identification of anyone engaged in foreign state-sanctioned malicious cyber activity, including ransomware attacks, against critical U.S. infrastructure. A task force set up by the White House will coordinate efforts to stem the ransomware scourge. In another move Thursday, the Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network will work with banks, technology companies and others on better anti-money-laundering efforts for cryptocurrency and more rapid tracing of ransomware proceeds, which are paid in virtual currency.

Here's what our friends at College Football News think about every Ohio State game in 2021. Which game are you worried about the most?

Has every NFL fan been saying Jason and Travis Kelce's last name wrong for years?

The number of new cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. has more than doubled in the last two weeks, as the delta variant continues to race across the nation, infecting both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, who account for more than 99% of recent fatalities.

The average S&P 500 [.SPX] chief executive made $15.5 million last year, 299 times the pay of the median worker and a higher ratio than in 2019, the top American labor union said on Wednesday, as the COVID-19 pandemic drove layoffs while executive compensation grew. The ratio was 264-to-1 in 2019. “Working people bore the brunt of COVID-19 and its impact on the U.S. economy," said Liz Shuler, Secretary-Treasurer of the AFL-CIO, the largest U.S. labor federation.

The hourly workers voted 1,147 to 1,130 for the six-year contract, and will suspend their on-and-off strike that began in April. The UAW said in a statement that blue-collar members will return to work for their Sunday and Monday shifts. About 2,900 workers represented by the UAW have been on strike at the Dublin, Virginia, plant.

New single dropped earlier this month

A viral video on Twitter shows an Oregon woman spewing anti-Asian comments at a couple, telling them to ‘go back to Philippines’ before dropping the N-word. YouTuber Joseph Morris claims the woman is Shauna Nicol Foreman, and that the two parties reportedly got into a dispute over the loudness while caring for their lawn. Oregon law states: “It is legal to record telephone conversations with the consent of at least one party, but recording in-person conversations requires the consent of all parties except for in certain circumstances, such as when all parties reasonably should have known they were being recorded.”

It was bound to happen eventually. After its extraordinary, nearly month-long streak as the #1 TV show on Netflix, another show has finally booted Manifest out of the top spot on the streamer’s top 10 ranking. That would be Netflix’s own Virgin River, season 3 of which was just added to the service. It’s a … The post This Netflix original series finally stole the #1 spot from ‘Manifest’ appeared first on BGR.

Cinderella's Jeff LaBar Dies: Rockers React

Ultimate Classic Rock 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Numerous rock musicians — including members of Scorpions, Queensryche, Stryper, L.A. Guns and Slaughter — shared condolences on social media following the death of Cinderella's Jeff LaBar.

The guitarist was found dead yesterday at age 58. A cause of death has not been disclosed.

LaBar joined Cinderella in 1985 and played on all four of the group's studio LPs, including its 1986 debut, Night Songs, and 1988's Long Cold Winter, both of which surpassed 3 million copies sold. He released a solo album, One for the Road, in 2014.

Scorpions released a full-band statement, writing, "Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends … RIP Jeff." Queensryche singer Todd La Torre posted a news article about LaBar's death, adding, "My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Damn."

Stryper singer and guitarist Michael Sweet wrote that he's "deeply saddened" to hear of LaBar's death. "I had the honor of meeting Jeff multiple times when he would attend our shows in Nashville," he wrote. "He was always a gentleman and very kind and complimentary. He was always very supportive of our band, and I’ve always viewed him as a great guy with a big heart."

Slaughter frontman Mark Slaughter posted a photo of himself and the late guitarist, writing, "Gone too soon. RIP Jeff LaBar." Tracii Guns, lead guitarist of L.A. Guns, shared a photo of LaBar with a frowning emoji.

LaBar's former Cinderella bandmates also issued a statement saying they "appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love" they've received.

“Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff," wrote Tom Keifer, Fred Coury and Eric Brittingham. "The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared. Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us. We’re sending his wife, Debinique, his son, Sebastian, family and friends our deepest condolences."

You can see those reactions and others below.

Jeff LaBar, Cinderella Guitarist, Dies at 58 | SPIN

SPIN 16 July, 2021 - 11:01am

Jeff LaBar, the guitarist best known for his work in the glam metal band Cinderella, has died at the age of 58. He died in his apartment in Nashville. LaBar’s publicist confirmed the news in a statement following an Instagram post by LaBar’s son, Tantric guitarist Sebastian LaBar.

“My father, my hero, my idol, passed away today,” the younger LaBar wrote. “I’m currently at a loss for words. I love you pop!”

The surviving members of Cinderella released a statement of their own, which you can see below:

No cause of death has been released.

LaBar first joined Cinderella in 1985 following the departure of guitarist Michael Schermick. The band’s 1986 debut album, Night Songs, peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and featured their first big single with “Nobody’s Fool,” plus “Shake Me” and “Somebody Save Me.”  In 1988, the band released their follow-up, Long Cold Winter, the power ballad “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone),” which famously interpolates Joni Mitchell’s song “Big Yellow Taxi.”

LaBar released his solo album, One for the Road, in 2014. In the years after, LaBar opened up with his decades-long struggle with alcohol and substance abuse, suggesting his disease was the main reason for the band’s inactivity and eventual breakup in 2017.

In honor of the late hair-metal axman, enjoy this fan-crafted 13-minute compilation of LaBar shredding all over the world.

Ron DeSantis doubles down on Fauci criticism after merchandise backlash

BLABBERMOUTH.NET 16 July, 2021 - 02:41am

DeSantis made the comments during a speech at a religious liberty summit hosted by the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), just days after he felt the backlash for selling the memorabilia, which also mocks the U.S. coronavirus restrictions.

"When people [ask] what did you do in Florida?" DeSantis said. "I answer very shortly and clearly: Florida chose freedom over Fauci-ism. I wasn't about to let the state get Fauci'd," he added.

Newsweek has contacted Dr. Fauci for comment.

Various items are available to buy on the governor's official website. They include hats, flags and T-shirts featuring the slogan: "Keep Florida Free," as well as beverage coolers and other clothing emblazoned with the words: "Don't Fauci My Florida."

A number of Democrats and high-profile scientists have spoken out about the move to sell the merchandise.

In his speech, DeSantis accused the media and big tech of being biased against conservatives.

He said conservative lawmakers should: "Have the backbone and the wherewithal to be willing to stand for those right things when the going gets tough, when the lights get hot, when people are throwing stuff at you and are trying to smear you. That is really where I think the rubber meets the road."

DeSantis added that "academia, corporate media, big tech, big business – all of them adopt in various degrees a leftist, woke perspective in terms of what they want to see."

"Most of them are entirely hostile to any type of conservative values or traditional principles. That's just for sure," he added.

"So, you know that going in. That's what the battlefield looks like and if you stand up for the truth, you're going to face the wrath of these institutions in many respects. The media will almost assuredly try to smear you, Big Tech may censor you, and big business may even try to boycott you, boycott your state, boycott your jurisdiction, but that's what you have to be willing to put up with."

DeSantis also weighed in on the transgender athletes debate. Republican lawmakers in more than two dozen states, including Florida, have introduced bills that would prevent transgender athletes from being allowed to compete in women's sports.

Proponents of the bills argue that allowing transgender athletes to compete in women's sports would be unfair because athletes who were born as men and went through puberty have a biological advantage.

There has been much condemnation of the controversial bills from Democrats, along with organizations like the National Collegiate Athletic Association, which threatened to re-locate events in response.

Wading in on the debate, DeSantis said: "You see these women athletes who were competing, performing well and then they get out of a competition because you'd have two males that would beat them in track or some of these other things."

"And it's fundamentally unfair, it's discrimination against women athletes to force them to participate against male athletes. That's just the bottom line," he added.

Sign-up to our daily newsletter for more articles like this + access to 5 extra articles

Daily news headlines & detailed briefings enjoyed by half a million readers.

Cinderella guitarist dead at age 58

AL.com 15 July, 2021 - 10:14am

Jeff Labar, who along with Tom Keifer gave Philadelphia hard-rockers Cinderella one of the ’80s’ best guitar-duos, has died. Labar was 58.

Cinderella disbanded around 2017. In a statement, the group’s surviving members - frontman Keifer, drummer Fred Coury and bassist Eric Brittingham - said:

“Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff. The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared. Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us. We’re sending his wife Debinique, his son Sebastian, family, and friends our deepest condolences. Jeff’s memory and music will be with us forever. We all... band, family and management appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love. Rest In Peace Jeff”.

The cause of Labar’s death was not disclosed.

LaBar and Keifer’s guitar tangle powered Cinderella hits like “Shake Me,” “Nobody’s Fool,” “Gypsy Road” and “Shelter Me.” Although cover art for the group’s 1986 debut album “Night Songs” depicted the band in glitzy glam, their sound was much tougher, an amalgam of AC/DC, Aerosmith and Rolling Stones.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Rock Music Menu: Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar, an Upper Darby native, dies

The Delaware County Daily Times 15 July, 2021 - 10:00am

Cinderella, born on the streets of Delaware County, was one of the biggest bands of the mid-1980s.

The Time hit the, well, big-time when they performed as part of the Prince movie 'Purple Rain.'

It’s a sad week for the regional music scene with the passing of Upper Darby’s Jeff LaBar, best known as guitarist for Cinderella, one of the standout acts on the mid-80s Philly rock and roll scene. He was 58 years old.

The band, which also featured singer/guitarist Tom Keifer, bassist Eric Brittingham and drummer Fred Coury, were notably discovered by Jon Bon Jovi at the long-shuttered Empire Rock Club and went on to be an MTV staple with hits like “Nobody’s Fool,” “Shake Me” and “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone).” Pigeonholed as just another hair metal outfit on the musical landscape dotted with the likes of Warrant and Poison, Cinderella were actually a more blues-based rock group, due in no small part to the swagger of LaBar’s playing.

‘Night Songs,’ the triple-platinum selling 1986 debut by Cinderella, exploded on radio and television, though the band were no strangers to the latter, having appeared in a 1983 commercial for Pat’s Chili Dogs, which was located on MacDade Boulevard. At the time, LaBar was still two years away from joining the lineup.

Cinderella followed up ‘Night Songs’ with ‘Long Cold Winter’ in 1988 and then ‘Heartbreak Station’ in 1990. Unfortunately, they were railroaded by the burgeoning grunge movement and never replicated the success of their first two efforts. The group were inactive for much of the early 90s, but rebounded as the decade wore on and the early aughts saw nostalgia kicking in.

Recent years saw Keifer embark on a solo career while LaBar and Brittingham linked up in Naked Beggars. The singer remarked in one 2017 interview that Cinderella was, for all intents and purposes, finished.

“There's been a lot of issues over the course of decades and build-up that is beyond repair at this point,” he told All That Shreds. “So there won't be any reunion.”

The year prior, LaBar copped to the fact that his alcoholism was the cause of friction and ensuing split and that he had a long history of substance abuse including cocaine and heroin. He added that Keifer wouldn’t even return his phone calls.

"I can only speculate, but I believe it's all my fault,” LaBar said. “It's no secret that I've had a drinking problem. And it showed its ugly face on (a Monsters of Rock Cruise Cinderella did in 2014). I guess that's what caused a rift.”

The news of LaBar’s death was revealed by his son, Sebastian, who followed in his father’s footsteps and currently plays guitar for the post-grunge unit Tantric.

"So I just got the call…Jeff LaBar, my father, my hero, my idol, passed away today,” Sebastian wrote on social media. “I'm currently at a loss for words. I love you pop!"

Like many musicians who came to prominence in the 80s, LaBar had relocated to Nashville and released a solo LP, ‘One for the Road,’ in 2014. Through it all, he remained a die-hard Philly guy, huge Eagles fan who never forgot his roots. Late Wednesday, his former bandmates expressed their condolences.

“Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff,” they said in a collective statement. “The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared. Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us. We’re sending his wife Debinique, his son Sebastian, family, and friends our deepest condolences. Jeff’s memory and music will be with us forever.

We all... band, family and management appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love.”

Keep an eye on this spot as each week we’ll be looking at new or soon-to-be-released vinyl from a variety of artists. It might be a re-pressing of a landmark recording, special edition or new collection from a legendary act. This week, it’s a Prince protégé rightfully getting some long overdue credit.

It’s been four decades since The Time burst onto the Minneapolis music scene, releasing their eponymous record, which still stands out as a landmark in funk today. Lead singer Morris Day merged his talents with the creativity and vision of fellow scenester Prince to create a new sound that fused soul, funk, dance, rock and roll and what came to be known as the 'Minneapolis sound.'

Originally released on July 29, 1981, the album was written, produced, and arranged almost entirely by Prince under the pseudonym Jamie Starr. To celebrate the album's 40th anniversary, Rhino has released an expanded edition created from the original analog tapes. It’s available as a 2LP red and white set and features several alternate takes of the six main album tracks. The digital version was remastered under the supervision of Day.

“When I was a young teen growing up in Minneapolis, all I ever wanted to do was be in a band and play my drums,” he said in a statement. “Never in a million years did I imagine 40 years later that my band The Time, would be considered funk royalty. To some, 40 years in this business is considered a lifetime. To me, I’ve only just begun. Stay Tuned. Yeesss!!”

Known for their live performances, The Time introduced the world to Morris Day on vocals and as an energetic frontman. He quickly became a pop-culture icon from his scene-stealing performances in the genre-defining film ‘Purple Rain,’ which also showcased the touring band and inventors of New Jack Swing in Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Jellybean Johnson, Jesse Johnson and Monte Moir.

Minneapolis in the '80s ushered in a new era for funk and urban disco, and The Time was in the center of it all. The group remains current and influential and shows no signs of losing any funk and energy 40 years later. Songs like "Cool," "Get it Up" and "Girl" landed in the Top 10 of the R&B charts, and their influence on that genre and the pop music sound continues to be heard in the music of generations of artists and musicians that came after them.

‘The Time’ is available online and in stores from all respectable retailers who carry vinyl.