Colorado woman who won’t get vaccinated due to religious reasons denied kidney transplant

Health

WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale 08 October, 2021 - 10:40am

Since opening in 2009, the $350-million Millennium Tower had already sunk 17 inches when the construction paused in late August after engineers determined the building had sunk another inch despite attempts to strengthen the foundation, Insider previously reported.

Now, the luxury condo skyscraper is tilting about 22 inches to the northwest, SFGate reported on Thursday.

Robert Pyke, a geotechnical engineer, told local news station KPIX that the $100 million project to fix the sinking should have been stopped long before it was halted in August.

Engineer logs and internal emails obtained by the local CBS affiliate, and verified by Pyke, showed that accelerated sinking of the building started in May, but construction carried on.

The project's lead engineer, Ron Hamburger, told the news station in a statement that they could have avoided further sinking and tilting if they'd paused construction sooner.

"While some of the settlement and tilting that has occurred in recent months could have been avoided by halting construction earlier, neither the building's safety or functionality have been affected and the project team gathered valuable information on the causes of this settlement as construction progressed," Hamburger told WPIX in a statement.

Hundreds of concerned residents sued the developers and designers of the skyscraper in 2016. While studies reported the building showed "no evidence of life-safety concerns," people expressed worry about the potential damage an earthquake could have on the tower.

A settlement was finalized last year, leading to "very significant" payouts to condo owners and a plan to drill "52 concrete piles down to the bedrock" in order to stabilize the building, The San Francisco Examiner reported at the time.

But after months of work, the building still sunk further, leading to the halt to repairs.

The high-rise, which was first proposed in 2002 and later built in 2005, managed to sell $100 million worth of condos priced from $1.6 million to $10 million in only five weeks.

Construction on the building partially resumed this week, SFGate reported.

Read full article at WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

COVID-19 vaccine rule delays organ transplant

KOAA 5 10 October, 2021 - 11:00am

Colorado hospital system says 'almost all' organ transplant patients need to get COVID vaccine

USA TODAY 10 October, 2021 - 11:00am

Claire Foy has lined up her next movie role and she’ll be playing someone very unexpected.

The 37-year-old actress, best known for her role as the young Queen Elizabeth II on The Crown which earned her two Emmy Awards, will be starring as…

Click inside to see who the surprising real life person Claire will portray is!…

Sheryl Sandberg!

According to THR, the project called Doomsday Machine, is based on New York Times reporters Sheera Frenkel and Cecilia Kang’s book “An Ugly Truth: Inside Facebook’s Battle for Domination”.

Doomsday Machine is “the riveting human drama chronicling the political and social minefields Facebook has navigated on its relentless quest for growth,” per the show’s logline. It will track the past five years at the social media giant, beginning with disinformation surrounding the 2016 election and leading up to recent revelations in The Wall Street Journal and the Times about some users being allowed to skirt the platform’s rules and that the company was aware of mental health risks among younger users of Instagram.

The potential series will place viewers in the shoes of Sandberg and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg as they shape the way billions of people communicate and consume information.

Earlier this week, Facebook, and a few other apps, faced a huge outage, and Mark issued an apology for it after six hours of downtime.

If you didn’t see, here’s what Claire will be starring in next.

Health Stories

JCPenney