John Lynch offers Richard Sherman, family 49ers' support


NBC Sports Bay Area 15 July, 2021 - 02:29pm 9 views

Lynch said he learned of Sherman’s arrest Wednesday upon returning from a vacation in Tanzania.

“Obviously, (it's) not the news you want to hear,” Lynch said Thursday on a conference call arranged through the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“Surprised, certainly, but most of all, just concern for the family, for everyone involved.”

Lynch said he reached out to Sherman and his wife, Ashley.

Sherman remained Thursday morning in a Seattle jail after his arrest on suspicion of residential burglary, DUI and hit-and-run. Lynch said he informed the Shermans the 49ers will serve as a resource for them.

“More than anything, just praying for them,” Lynch said. “They’re good people. Just praying that they find their way through this, and we’ll support them any way we can.”

Sherman, 33, played his first seven NFL seasons with the Seattle Seahawks before playing out a three-year contract with the 49ers. Sherman remains unsigned as an unrestricted free agent.

Lynch, a hard-hitting safety during his career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos, is set to enter the Hall of Fame this summer as part of the Class of 2021.

He said his background as a player of 15 seasons in the NFL gives him a greater perspective, understanding and empathy in his current role.

“I think it gives me great perspective and maybe a little bit of credibility in their eyes, because I’ve been in their shoes. I’ve lived that,” Lynch said.

Lynch said he was not speaking specifically about Sherman, but he noted the difficult transition that players face toward the ends of their careers.

Lynch and Sherman both attended Stanford. Lynch relayed his own experiences of making the transition from player to his post-football life.

“I don’t care how prepared people might think you are, it’s a difficult one,” Lynch said. “People struggle with that for a variety of reasons. It’s difficult.”

Read full article at NBC Sports Bay Area

Richard Sherman Arrested After Wild Clash With Family and Police

New York Magazine 15 July, 2021 - 04:22pm

According to a police report obtained by the Associated Press, Sherman partially broke in the door by ramming it with his shoulder, at which point Moss told investigators that he pepper-sprayed him and “armed myself with my handgun at this time fearing for the safety of myself and my family.”

Earlier, in a 911 call late on Tuesday night obtained by ESPN, a woman identified herself as Sherman’s wife, Ashley Moss, and described her husband as being “drunk and belligerent” and “threatening to kill himself” after drinking two bottles of hard alcohol. In the audio, the caller tries to stop Sherman from leaving and told dispatch to tell the police “please don’t shoot,” and that he would fight any officers who arrived at the scene. He then appears to have driven from the couple’s home in Maple Valley outside Seattle to her parent’s house in Redmond, where he allegedly threatened his father-in-law.

After leaving his father-in-law’s residence, Sherman was eventually arrested following a 1:26 a.m. 911 call by a construction worker, who reported that a man had driven his SUV into a closed construction zone. The vehicle, registered to Sherman, became “disabled” after it hit a barrier when the driver tried to leave the scene. State troopers who responded found “significant” damage to the driver’s side of the SUV. Troopers tried to calmly speak with Sherman; one patrolman told him that, as a teenager, he once parked his car as a valet. The incident report states that he then tried to walk away quickly and fought police as they tried to detain him. According to the AP, a K-9 officer released his dog to take him down, at which point he “suffered minor cuts to his lower leg that were caused by the dog.” Sherman was booked into jail Wednesday on suspicion of resisting arrest, malicious mischief, and residential burglary. Because the burglary charge was at the home of a relative, it involves a domestic-violence component, for which Sherman was denied bail. The Washington State Patrol will also recommend charges of driving under the influence and hit-and-run.

A current free agent and five-time Pro Bowler who helped lead the Seattle Seahawks to their first Super Bowl in 2013, Sherman was barred from owning guns in February after a King County judge issued an “extreme risk protection order” at the behest of prosecutors and the sheriff. Details from the case are sealed, according to the AP.

Ashley Moss, Sherman’s wife, told the Seattle Times on Wednesday: “At this time, we’re going to make no statements, except he didn’t harm anybody. He’s a good person and this is not his character. We’re doing all right, just trying to get him out. I want people to know no one was injured.” The NFL Players Association — the league’s union, of which Sherman is a vice-president — issued a statement acknowledging that “one of our player leaders” was arrested for an alleged domestic-violence incident. The NFLPA added that it activated its “domestic violence crisis protocol for the protection and support of everyone involved.”

Report: Richard Sherman had been battling personal issues ‘for a few months’ before arrest

Niners Nation 15 July, 2021 - 03:37pm

NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport says friends have been visiting him to try and help

Meanwhile, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport has reported that the cornerback had been “battling personal issues” for months. Appearing on NFL Network’s Total Access, Rapoport wrapped his reporting on Wednesday’s story with this:

“There was a somewhat disturbing 911 call where Richard Sherman and his wife allude to some of the personal troubles that he’s currently going through. My understanding is his close friends have been well aware of this, and actually visited Sherman’s house on a couple different occasions this offseason to try and intervene and help Richard Sherman deal with what he’s dealing with personally.”

Rapoport also tweeted the video with a caption stating several of Sherman’s friends had flown out to help.

From @NFLTotalAccess: The latest on Richard Sherman, who was booked on multiple charges this morning. Sherman has been battling personal issues for a few months, and several of his friends flew out to his house recently to help him through tough times -- as the 9/11 call alludes.

As Niners Nation previously reported, the incident with Sherman occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning when he crashed his SUV in a construction zone, tried to break into his in-laws’ house, and then fought with officers, who used a police dog to apprehend him. While the initial interaction with police was calm, Sherman reportedly walked away at an accelerated pace when he was told he was being arrested, which is when the K9 unit was deployed. Sherman then received minor lacerations to his lower leg as a result of the contact with the police dog, Lowe said.

Audio of a 911 call was later released in which a woman identifying herself as Ashley Sherman described him as being “drunk and belligerent” and said he was “threatening to kill himself.”

Sherman’s wife, Ashley Moss Sherman, has since told the Seattle Times newspaper that her husband: “didn’t harm anybody ... He’s a good person, and this is not his character.”

It is expected that a judge will make a bail determination on Thursday afternoon, but Sherman is required to be at his initial court hearing, Washington’s News Tribune reported. Sherman has not yet been charged, and the King County prosecutor’s office will most likely make the charging decisions after the hearing.

This whole story is yet another example of how serious and indiscriminate mental health issues can be. Richard Sherman has a beautiful family. He has a degree from Stanford University. He is a no-doubt future first-ballot Hall of Fame football player. He could have any NFL analyst job on any network on television.

We all deal with mental health issues at times during our lives, no matter how great things might appear to everyone else.

For more on the Sherman situation, listen to today’s Niners Nation Gold Standard Podcast.

Finally, if you, or anyone you know, are dealing with these issues, please remember that you don’t have to go through it alone. Help is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255).

Ex-49er Richard Sherman threatened to kill himself, wife said on 911 call

San Francisco Chronicle 15 July, 2021 - 03:00pm

Former 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman was released from police custody Thursday, hours after audio emerged of a 911 call in which Sherman’s wife said he drank two bottles of hard alcohol and threatened to kill himself late Tuesday night.

A King County judge released Sherman without bail. He must appear in court Friday at 8:30 a.m. for a second hearing to face four charges, according to the Tacoma News Tribune.

Sherman’s attorney, Cooper Offenbecher, told reporters outside the courtroom, “We’re investigating the circumstances related to these allegations by the state. Richard is thankful to have the support of his family and friends, and we look forward to vigorously defending this case in court.”

Earlier on Thursday, audio of the 911 call from Ashley Moss, Sherman’s wife, surfaced on several media outlets. The call conveyed her increasingly urgent tone as she spoke with a dispatcher from the family’s home in Maple Valley, Wash.

“I need officers to my house now,” the woman, who identified herself as Sherman’s wife, said on the call. “My husband is drunk and belligerent and threatened to kill himself. ... I need officers here now. He’s being aggressive.”

Sherman did not have any weapons at the time, Moss said on the call.

At one point, Moss told the dispatcher that Sherman was leaving in their 2016 black Mercedes sedan/SUV. Moss can be heard repeatedly shouting, “Richard, please stop!”

Moments later, she told the dispatcher, “Ma’am, this is a f—ing emergency. I need officers here now!”

A short time later, Sherman was arrested for allegedly attempting to break into his in-laws’ house in Redmond after fleeing a single-car crash that left his vehicle seriously damaged, authorities said at a news conference Wednesday.

Sherman’s father-in-law armed himself with a handgun and fired pepper spray at Sherman as he tried to break down the front door of the home, according to a police statement obtained Thursday by The Associated Press.

In February, King County prosecutors and the sheriff obtained an “extreme risk protection order” for Sherman, AP also reported; that barred him from having guns after a judge determined he posed a danger to himself or others.

Sherman, who spent the past three seasons with the 49ers and is vice president of the NFL Players Association executive committee, faces charges of burglary domestic violence, resisting arrest and malicious mischief. He also faces possible charges for driving under the influence and hit-and-run, according to the Washington State Patrol.

Ron Kroichick is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: Twitter: @ronkroichick

Father-in-law says he pepper-sprayed NFL's Richard Sherman

Associated Press 15 July, 2021 - 01:35pm

SEATTLE (AP) — Richard Sherman’s father-in-law armed himself with a handgun and fired pepper-spray at the NFL cornerback to protect his family as Sherman tried to bust in the door of his in-laws’ home, according to a police statement obtained by The Associated Press.

Sherman was arrested early Wednesday after police said he crashed his car in a construction zone and then tried to break into his in-laws’ home in the Seattle suburb of Redmond.

Sherman remained in jail Thursday and was expected to make an initial court appearance in the afternoon. It was not clear if he had an attorney who might speak on his behalf.

According to the police report, which had not been made public, Sherman’s father-in-law, Raymond Moss, told investigators that the former Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers star partially broke in the door by repeatedly ramming it with his shoulder. Sherman called out, “Come through, Ray!” in a hostile and threatening tone, Moss said.

“The family began to yell in fear,” Moss told police. “I used pepper spray on Sherman’s face through the partially opened door as he was still banging and attempting to gain entry. I told him to stop. I armed myself with my handgun at this time fearing for the safety of myself and my family.”

Sherman’s wife, Ashley Moss, called 911 late Tuesday to report that he was being belligerent, had threatened to kill himself and was driving away after drinking two bottles of hard alcohol.

“At this time, we’re going to make no statements, except he didn’t harm anybody,” she told The Seattle Times on Wednesday. “My kids were not harmed in the incident. He’s a good person and this is not his character. We’re doing all right, just trying to get him out. I want people to know no one was injured.”

In February, King County prosecutors and the sheriff obtained an “extreme risk protection order” for Sherman, which barred him from having guns after a judge determined he posed a danger to himself or others. Details of the case were sealed, and it was not immediately clear if any weapons had been seized from him.

Sherman was booked into jail Wednesday in Seattle on suspicion of resisting arrest, malicious mischief and residential burglary. The Washington State Patrol said it also would recommend charges of driving under the influence and hit-and-run.

The burglary allegation is a felony that includes a domestic violence component because it was the home of relatives. Sherman did not enter the home, strike or try to hit any family members, authorities said.

Shortly before 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Washington State Patrol received a 911 call from a construction crew working along a freeway east of Seattle. The caller said an apparently intoxicated driver had entered the closed construction zone. As the vehicle left the area, it struck a barricade, causing significant damage on the driver’s side, Patrol Capt. Ron Mead told reporters.

The vehicle soon became completely disabled, Mead said.

Just before 2 a.m., Redmond police received a 911 call from the in-laws’ home, reporting that Sherman was trying to break in, Police Chief Darrell Lowe said.

Officers and state troopers responded and tried to calm the situation by developing a rapport with the football star, authorities said.

It initially seemed to work, but Sherman’s demeanor changed when the officers told him he was under arrest, Lowe said. He began walking away rapidly and fought as police tried to take him into custody, and a K-9 officer released the dog to subdue him.

Sherman got minor cuts to his lower leg and was treated at a hospital before being taken to jail. At his first court hearing, a judge will determine if there is probable cause to believe he committed a crime.

Sherman, 33, became a Seattle sports legend during seven seasons with Seahawks. The cornerback was a star in their run to a 2014 Super Bowl victory, making a game-saving play to deflect a pass in the NFC Championship Game against the 49ers.

He left the Seahawks after the 2017 season and played three seasons with San Francisco. He is now a free agent.

Sports Stories