London police drop their Prince Andrew sex abuse probe

Entertainment

New York Post 10 October, 2021 - 07:31pm 8 views

By Chris Jewers For Mailonline

Prince Andrew will not return to public life after Charles, Edward and Anne closed the door on him and William branded him a 'threat to the royal family', it has been claimed. 

Scotland Yard is also reported to have spoken to the Duke of York's sexual assault accuser Virginia Giuffre over claims she was raped and sexually assaulted by Andrew when she was 17.

The royal has come under intense scrutiny over the claims and over his friendship with paedophile financier Jeffery Epstein.

Andrew, who is not facing any criminal charges, 'categorically' denies Ms Giuffre's claims against him and is thought to be keen to make a return as a working royal.

However, according to sources close to him, Prince William sees his uncle as a threat to the Royal Family and doesn't intend to let him return to public life. 

The 39-year-old, who is second in line to the throne, is said to have been involved in crisis talks with his grandmother and father - The Queen and Prince Charles - over the decision to suspend Andrew from public duty. 

It was also reported that Andrew's siblings - Charles, Anne and Edward - also ruled out his return to public duty at a meeting in January. 

Prince William (pictured left with the Duchess of Cambridge) sees his uncle Prince Andrew as a threat to the Royal Family and will never let him return to public life, according to a new report

The Duke of York (pictured in April after the death of his father, Prince Philip) has come under intense scrutiny for his friendship with paedophile financier Jeffery Epstein, and has been accused of sexually abusing Virginia Giuffre at Epstein's New York home two decades ago

'There is no way in the world he's ever coming back, the family will never let it happen,' a royal source said, according to The Sunday Times. 'William is no fan of Uncle Andrew,' another source, a friend of William's, is reported to have said.

A third source was quoted saying that Prince William is 'triggered' by his uncle's perceived 'ungracious and ungrateful' attitude towards his position, which Williams considers 'a risk' and a 'threat to the family.'

'Any suggestion that there isn't gratitude for the institution, anything that could lead anyone in the public to think that senior members of the royal family aren't grateful for their position, [William thinks] is really dangerous,' the Sunday Times quoted the source as saying.   

MailOnline was told that Buckingham Palace was not commenting on the matter. 

Speaking to the The Sun, a source said: 'Nine months ago Charles, Anne and Edward had a meeting, a summit, and agreed there was no way back for him.'

It has been reported that Andrew's siblings - Prince Charles (pictured on Tuesday in Scotland), Princess Anne and Prince Edward - also ruled out his return to public duty

Speaking the The Sun , a source said: 'Nine months ago Charles, Anne (pictured left) and Edward (pictured with The Queen, right) had a meeting, a summit, and agreed there was no way back for him'

Virginia Roberts, who now goes by her married name of Giuffre, was last night reported to have been interviewed by officers after she filed a civil lawsuit in the US claiming that she was forced to have sex with the Prince on three separate occasions by convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

The Mail on Sunday revealed earlier this year that Ms Giuffre had launched legal action in the US. Andrew, 61, has always vehemently denied her claims and any wrongdoing.

According to The Sunday Times, detectives recently quizzed Ms Giuffre after Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick warned that ‘no one is above the law’. The move could pave the way for a criminal investigation into the claims.

Ms Giuffre claims she was ‘trafficked’ to the duke in March 2001 after being flown to London by Epstein and his alleged ‘madam’ Ghislaine Maxwell. 

A photograph of Andrew, Ms Giuffre and Ms Maxwell, taken in the socialite’s mews house that night, was first published by The Mail on Sunday.

During his infamous interview with the BBC’s Newsnight in 2019, Andrew denied the claims, saying that he had been at a Pizza Express restaurant in Woking, Surrey, that day.

His lawyers accepted that the Prince had been ‘served’ with the civil suit on September 21, after Ms Giuffre’s team spent weeks trying to deliver it to him.

Last night, a Met spokesman said: ‘We would not discuss who we may or may not have spoken to as part of any enquiry.’

The development could lead to the Met opening a criminal investigation of Ms Giuffre’s claims that have been consistently and strenuously denied by the Duke.

The reports comes two days after it was announced that Andrew's legal team will be allowed to review a previously secret settlement which his lawyers hope will shield him from a sex abuse lawsuit in the US.

A US District Judge on Wednesday granted permission for the Duke of York's lawyers to receive a copy of a confidential agreement between Epstein and Ms Giuffre. 

Ms Giuffre (pictured) is launching a US civil case against Prince Andrew, accusing him of sexually abusing a woman two decades ago, when she was underage

Ms Giuffre (allegedly pictured here in 2001 with Prince Andrew) is accusing the prince of having sex with her knowing she had been trafficked by Epstein and she was underage. She alleged this took place at the London home of Epstein's longtime associate Ghislaine Maxwell 

Relatives, aides and even ex-wife Sarah Ferguson could be forced into courtrooms to answer questions about Prince Andrew should the Duke's sex abuse case get the green light to go ahead in New York later this month.  

The Duke is privately preparing to hand over 'personal documents' in an intrusive process that could see relatives and Royal aides dragged into proceedings, reports the Telegraph

That could include ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, who has remained fiercely loyal to the embattled Duke, who is likely to face subpoena if Andrew fails to get his case thrown out. 

Royal insiders fear any such move would be a 'pretty traumatic' process that Andrew's lawyers would only ever enter with 'due caution', the Sunday Telegraph reported last week.

The Duke has until October 29 to respond to the civil suit, with a remote hearing scheduled for November 3.

The deal between her and Esptein, who died in his jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial for sex trafficking charges, has remained confidential.

Epstein's estate had agreed to let Prince Andrew's legal team review the legal document, but court approval was needed. 

At a hearing in Manhatten last week, District Judge Loretta Preska granted the approval. 

At a hearing last month, Andrew Brettler, a lawyer for the prince, told the judge overseeing Ms Giuffre's lawsuit that he believed the agreement 'absolves our client from any and all liability.' 

During the first pre-trial hearing of the case last month, he said: 'There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff has entered into in a prior action that releases the duke and others from any and all potential liability.' 

However, David Boies, one of the lawyers representing Ms Giuffre, said in a court filing last month that he believed the settlement was 'irrelevant' to her case against the prince.

He said: 'Although we believe that the release is irrelevant to the case against Prince Andrew, now that service has been accepted and the case is proceeding to a determination on the merits, we believe that counsel for Prince Andrew have a right to review the release and to make whatever arguments they believe appropriate based on it.' 

Mr Brettler said in an email he expects to receive the agreement soon from Ms Giuffre's lawyers. 

Ms Giuffre is accusing the prince of having sex with her knowing she had been trafficked by Epstein and she was underage.

She alleged this took place at the London home of Epstein's longtime associate Ghislaine Maxwell.

At a hearing last month, Andrew Brettler (pictured right), a lawyer for the prince, told the judge overseeing Ms Giuffre's lawsuit that he believed the agreement 'absolves our client from any and all liability.'  However, David Boies (pictured left), one of the lawyers representing Ms Giuffre, said in a court filing last month that he believed the settlement was 'irrelevant' to her case against the prince.

She also said the prince abused her at Epstein's mansion in Manhattan, and on Epstein's private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

She claims she was trafficked by Epstein, the duke's former friend, to have sex with Andrew when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law. 

She is seeking unspecified damages, but there is speculation the sum could be in the millions of dollars. 

Andrew faces an October 29 deadline to formally respond to Giuffre's lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.

Epstein, a registered sex offender, killed himself at age 66 in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to helping recruit and groom underage girls for Epstein to abuse. Her trial in Manhattan is scheduled for November 29. 

It comes as it was reported last week that relatives, aides and even ex-wife Sarah Ferguson could be forced into courtrooms to answer questions about Prince Andrew should the Duke's sex abuse case get the green light to go ahead in New York later this month. 

The Duke is privately preparing to hand over 'personal documents' in an intrusive process that could see relatives and Royal aides dragged into proceedings, reports the Telegraph

That could include ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, who has remained fiercely loyal to the embattled Duke, who is likely to face subpoena if Andrew fails to get his case thrown out. 

Prince Andrew, 61, is privately preparing to hand over 'personal documents' in an intrusive process that could see relatives, Royal aides and even ex-wife Sarah Ferguson dragged into his legal proceedings. Pictured together in 2019

The Queen (pictured left, at the Balmoral Cricket Pavilion in Scotland yesterday) is spending millions of pounds funding Prince Andrew's (right) fight against sex abuse allegations, reports say

Royal insiders fear any such move would be a 'pretty traumatic' process that Andrew's lawyers would only ever enter with 'due caution', the Sunday Telegraph reports.

The Duke has until October 29 to respond to the civil suit, with a remote hearing scheduled for November 3.

The news comes after one of the most dramatic cases of royal redemption after Prince's ex-wife Sarah Ferguson accompanied him to Balmoral in August as senior members of the Royal Family met for the first time since the civil suit was filed.

The Duchess has also said she is '100 per cent' certain that Andrew is telling the truth about his part in the scandal surrounding convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein

She told the Financial Times: 'I want him [Andrew] to come through this. I want him to win.'

When asked why she was sure of his probity, she replied: 'No question. I know everything about him. I think he is an extraordinary person.' 

The news comes as it was revealed the Queen is spending millions of pounds funding Prince Andrew's fight against sex abuse allegations.

Royal courtiers are said to expect the final legal bill to run into millions as the civil case against Andrew lingers for months or even years.

And a potential settlement or damages payout would cost millions more on top of the overall bill.

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Read full article at New York Post

Prince Andrew’s siblings rule he must not return to public life – as William sees him as ‘threat to monar...

The US Sun 10 October, 2021 - 10:03pm

Charles, Anne and Edward held a summit in January where they ruled the Duke of York should never return to public life.

It was reported last night that Prince William sees his uncle as a threat to the monarchy’s future.

Andrew, 61, harbours a return to royal life despite facing a sex abuse lawsuit in the US.

A source said: “Nine months ago Charles, Anne and Edward had a meeting, a summit, and agreed there was no way back for him.”

Meanwhile, sources close to future king Wills revealed to The Sunday Times how he thinks Andrew has an “ungracious and ungrateful” attitude to his position.

This has created public anger and is a risk and threat to the family, the sources claim.

One told The Sunday Times: “There is no way in the world he’s ever coming back, the family will never let it happen.”

A pal of William claimed: “He is no fan of Uncle Andrew.”

And The Sunday Times’ royal source claimed one of the “triggers” that “really gets” William is his uncle’s attitude.

They added: “Any suggestion there isn’t gratitude for the institution, anything that could lead the public to think that senior members of the family aren’t grateful for their position, (William thinks) is really dangerous.”

🔵 Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates

In April, the royals were stunned when Andrew spoke to TV cameras outside All Saints Chapel, Windsor Lodge, two days after Prince Philip’s death.

Charles, 72, was aware of his plan and feared it was a bid to get back in the limelight.

So he got out his own televised tribute from Highgrove — with sources close to Charles saying he acted 24 hours after Philip’s death to make sure he got there first with his “Dear Papa” statement.

A friend told The Sunday Times: “(Andrew) was literally gunning to be in front of a camera and was making it clear to the households that he was going to be in front of a camera ASAP”.

Charles is said to “love his brother” but thinks the sex abuse writ served by his accuser Virginia Giuffre brings “unwelcome reputational damage to the institution”.

A source told the paper “a way back for the Duke is not possible, because the spectre of this accusation raises its head with hideous regularity”.

Andrew’s team, however are said to wish the Royal Family could be much more supportive and engaged, a source said.

They claimed: “They’ve just stuck their fingers in their ears and gone, ‘Make it go away.’

“But (the experience with) Harry and Meghan should have taught them that even when a problem ‘goes away’, it doesn’t go away.

“The Duke can no more be disinvested as a senior member of the royal family than Harry and Meghan can. It is who and what they are. If they don’t engage at all, it is going to become like Harry and Meghan on steroids.”

That allegation has been dismissed by palace aides.

The Queen paying Andy’s legal fees from her Duchy of Lancaster income is also causing a backlash against the royals.

Andrew has twice bolted to Balmoral this summer to hide with his mother, and avoid US lawyers attempting to serve the lawsuit.

He even missed the birth of his grand-daughter after Princess Beatrice went into labour.

Andrew’s US legal team finally accepted the case had been served on September 21 and a preliminary hearing is due to be held in New York next month.

He has strongly denied all the allegations made by Ms Giuffre and his team are seeking to get the case thrown out before a trial.

Earlier this year we revealed Andrew was going “stir crazy” trapped in his home on the Windsor Great Park and ventured out only to go horse riding.

His pal Ghislaine Maxwell will stand trial in New York next month accused of sex trafficking and assisting Jeffrey Epstein in the recruitment of young girls.

Last night Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and Prince Andrew did not comment.

Scotland Yard won’t act on Prince Andrew abuse claims

The Times 10 October, 2021 - 06:01pm

Scotland Yard will take “no further action” after reviewing allegations of sexual abuse against the Duke of York, it said last night.

The Metropolitan Police had been studying material relating to Virginia Giuffre’s civil case against Prince Andrew in the US. She claims that she was trafficked to London when she was 17 by the paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and forced to have sex with the duke, who denies the allegations.

In August Dame Cressida Dick, the Met commissioner, said “no one is above the law” and confirmed that a review of the case was under way. Last night the force said: “As a matter of procedure officers reviewed a document released in August 2021 as part of a US civil action. This review has

Met Police confirm no further action after Epstein-related reviews

The Daily Beast 10 October, 2021 - 05:21pm

Virginia Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.

She claims she was trafficked by Epstein, the duke’s former friend, to have sex with Andrew in London when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.

The duke has denied all the allegations.

In August, when asked about the recently reported US legal action, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said she had asked officers to again review allegations connected to Epstein.

In a radio interview, she said “no-one is above the law” when questioned about claims of sexual assault against Andrew.

On Sunday, the Met said: “As a matter of procedure MPS officers reviewed a document released in August 2021 as part of a US civil action. This review has concluded and we are taking no further action.”

The update – first reported by Channel 4 News – also confirmed the force had completed its review into allegations reported in June by the broadcaster that British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell the late Epstein’s former girlfriend, trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK.

The Met said: “We also reviewed information passed to us by a media organisation in June 2021. This review is complete and no further action will be taken.”

The force said it is continuing to liaise with other law enforcement agencies who are leading the investigation into matters associated with Epstein.

The Sunday Times reported that officers had contacted Ms Giuffre, but the Met said they do not confirm who they might have spoken to as part of police inquiries.

Last week, a US judge agreed for Andrew’s lawyers to receive a copy of a 2009 settlement they believe will nullify the civil case against the royal.

Entertainment Stories

JCPenney