Mayim Bialik's 'Jeopardy!' goal is to maintain the integrity of the show following Mike Richards' exit

Fox News 23 September, 2021 - 05:53am 21 views

Does Mayim Bialik want to host jeopardy?

Mayim Bialik wants to host 'Jeopardy!' full-time: 'There's no other job I would rather have' Mayim Bialik is making it known: "Yes, I want to host 'Jeopardy!' full-time." ... "There's no other job I would rather have," Bialik, 45, said in a new interview published Tuesday. "I love my sitcom work, I do. USA TODAYMayim Bialik wants to host 'Jeopardy!' full-time: 'There's no other job I would rather have'

Who is permanent host of Jeopardy?

On Monday, May 31, “Jeopardy!” will resume its regular season with guest host Mayim Bialik, actress, author and neurobiologist. (Photo courtesy of Jeopardy Productions, Inc. pennlive.comMayim Bialik still would love to be the permanent host of “Jeopardy!”

The season 25 Bachelor contestant, 23, “liked” a tweet about how she handled herself during the Tuesday, September 21, episode of the ABC series, following another Joe, 35, and Kendall, 30, conversation.

“Serena handled this so well. We love a calm queen who cares #BachelorInParadise,” Bachelor Nation star Natasha Parker tweeted on Tuesday, which Serena seemingly agreed with.

The “liked” tweet came after fans watched Serena take the high road once again as drama continued to unfold between her current flame Joe and his ex Kendall, whom he originally met on season 5 of Bachelor in Paradise in 2018.

The former grocer split from Kendall in January 2020 after less than two years of dating. Despite going their separate ways, the exes reunited on the beach a few episodes into season 7 of Paradise. However, Joe already had a connection with Serena and made it clear to Kendall that he was focused on his new relationship.

On Tuesday’s episode, the taxidermy enthusiast tried one last time to convey her feelings for Joe and to see if there was any chance that they could make things work. Kendall cried telling the Chicago native, “I loved the way that we used to be. I still feel like you are my best friend, you know?”

Joe listened and gave his ex a hug before making it clear that he had moved forward and was ready for her to do the same.

“To be honest, I came out here because I knew it was over between us. If I didn’t feel that, I wouldn’t have come,” he told Kendall. “I was also kind of under the impression that you felt the same way. You were a big part of my life, and I’m always gonna care about you.”

Kendall decided to leave Mexico and Joe turned his attention back to Serena, whom he’s been building a strong connection with since week one.

“If she truly wanted me back, she should have told me before I got here,” the Dancing With the Stars alum said during a confessional. “Because I really, really loved her. I see how upset she is, but you know, I’m feeling things for Serena at this point.”

Although things didn’t work out for Kendall and Joe, a source previously told Us Weekly that the graphic designer “enjoyed being on the show.” The insider exclusively revealed that the California native did, however, have a “really tough” time watching Joe’s relationship with Serena.

“She has no plans on watching it back and reliving those awkward and sometimes intense moments,” the source told Us last month.

Bachelor in Paradise airs on ABC Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET.

Part of the A360 Media Entertainment Group.Powered by WordPress VIP

Read full article at Fox News

Mayim Bialik's 'Jeopardy!' goal: maintaining its integrity

Associated Press 23 September, 2021 - 07:10am

"I think it's very clear," Bialik told Glamour in an interview published Tuesday. "There's no other job I would rather have. I love my sitcom work, I do. I love all the other things I do. I love the podcast. But I absolutely have never had a better job."

Bialik, a trained neuroscientist as well as a veteran actor, currently starring on Fox's Call Me Kat, spoke highly about what happened during her initial guest-hosting stint. It was, she said, "a dream job for anyone, but especially for someone who is trained first as a performer and then as a science communicator."

"Having a full-time job didn't stop me from wanting it. But it really was after those two days [during which she taped five shows a day, per the regular Jeopardy! schedule] that I realized I had never wanted anything more than that job," Bialik said. "I'm not a person who leans deeply into intuition. I wish that I was. But this was a case where I intuitively felt something very special had happened for me in my life. From just those two days. I said to the crew, 'I don't want to leave. I really don't want to leave.'" And these are long days. These are not easy days. These are long days with someone, constantly, literally, in your ear. You need to think on your feet; you need to pronounce words in the Navajo language, which is not something I had ever done before. Learning to name the lakes of Africa. I'm literally being asked to squeeze my brain. It's not easy work. But there was something really special that I felt there, and I can't explain it."

So, despite reports that Bialik wasn't offered the weekday job because she was unavailable, she said that she would have taken it if she had been given that option. Instead, of course, Richards, who was the show's executive producer at the time, was selected. But the show backtracked on the decision within a week, after offensive comments that Richards had made about women, Jewish people and others emerged online. He was fired from the show altogether 11 days later.

Bialik, who fits both of the slandered categories, said that, while she still had to work with Richards in the time between when his comments came out and when he left the show, she simply stayed focused on the task at hand. She declined to address Richards's words or what she said to him the one time that she spoke with him after his departure.

"I think not commenting is the safest thing to do," she said.

During all of this, Bialik — though she didn't want to dwell on it — has dealt with stress in her personal life, as she batted away false reports about her vaccination status and as her partner, Jonathan Cohen, underwent hip replacement surgery. In fact, she was at the hospital when she heard that Richards would no longer be the Jeopardy! host. She called to offer the show her help.

"A lot of us didn't realize how much and with what intensity people would be invested in these conversations about Jeopardy!," she said. "It is a brand, but it has been devoid of anything interesting besides being the fantastic cultural phenomenon that it is. This is not a world that has had drama. It's been a pretty wild ride."

"The answer to that is very simple," Craig said when asked.

Mayim Bialik is making it "very clear" that she wants to be the new permanent host of "Jeopardy!" following Mike Richards' exit.

Wendy Williams's brother, Tommy, updates fans on health after reported hospitalization.

The singer said she celebrated her engagement with a weekend getaway.

The actor and neuroscientist tells Glamour what the last few months have really been like, and why she's not holding back about her desire to host Jeopardy! permanently going forward.

Johnny Depp speaks out against cancel culture, nearly one year after he lost his libel case against The Sun, which called him a "wife beater."

The 25-year-old model has a real body and she is not apologizing for it!

Jojo Siwa danced last with a female partner, a show first.

The Duke of Edinburgh passed away at the age of 99.

There's a chance you'll likely have "Fancy Like" by Walker Hayes stuck in your head after watching this.

Kate went from outdoor adventures to palace glam

Scathing handwritten letters from Prince Albert to Queen Victoria after their arguments can be read by the public for the first time – nearly a century after their daughter tried to destroy them.

Katharine McPhee just revealed how she and David Foster are keeping their marriage “hot.” Check out the lingerie photo the American Idol alum sent the music producer.

Kylie gave another rare look at her pregnancy style.

The Real Housewives of Atlanta star NeNe Leakes has been adjusting to her "new normal" while her fans have been adjusting to her new look.

It’s hard to believe that Salma Hayek is now a mother to a 14-year-old as daughter Valentina Paloma Pinault celebrates her birthday on Sept. 21. The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard star shared an emotional post honoring her only child that showcases how close the two of them are. The photo on her Instagram page shows mother and […]

The actress showed off a whole new side to her style for the show.

More than 22 years after the show’s end, Home Improvement star Zachery Ty Bryan shared a cute throwback of himself alongside Jonathan Taylor Thomas and revealed if the two still keep in touch.

'Jeopardy!' Host Mayim Bialik Breaks Her Silence for the First Time After Mike Richards Scandal

GoodHousekeeping.com 23 September, 2021 - 07:10am

The Big Bang Theory star is sharing the experience from her perspective.

Mayim Bialik wants Jeopardy! fans to shift their focus back on the contestants of the competition, not think about who is hosting the show.

On Monday, The Big Bang Theory actress walked onto the stage for the first time as Jeopardy!’s new interim host. “Thank you, Johnny Gilbert,” she said. “Welcome. I am so honored to be a part of the Jeopardy! family, and there is no place I’d rather be than right here with these amazing contestants.”

Mayim first stood at Jeopardy!’s lectern as one of many celebrity guest hosts this spring and was brought back in August as a primetime specials host alongside newly named Jeopardy! permanent host Mike Richards. But shortly after, Mike stepped down and eventually exited the show after past controversial comments and decade-old lawsuits from his time at The Price Is Right resurfaced online. Now, Mayim is splitting hosting duties with Jeopardy! champion Ken Jennings until the end of the year.

Speaking with NBC News, Mayim opened up about the hosting changes and how she feels compelled to bring back some normalcy to the show. “To be honest, there's been a lot unfolding over the last month, much of which the public knows about and a lot of which the public doesn't necessarily need to know about,” she told the outlet. “What I can say is that when Mike [Richards] stepped down as host, what I said was, ‘How can I help?’”

Mayim echoed these words in an interview with Glamour, in which she said that she approached the show first about lending a hand despite her other ongoing projects, including her hit CBS sitcom Call Me Kat and podcast Mayim Bialik’s Breakdown. That said, she and Ken are determined to get the show back on track while discussions about naming a new permanent host are put on the back burner.

“We're kind of in that sort of mode: trying to get some stability and consistency back for our wonderful staff and crew, many of whom have been there for decades without any sort of drama or turmoil. That's what I think Ken and I are both focusing on right now,” she said.

As for how she intends to do this, Mayim explained that she won’t be drawing unnecessary attention to herself. “My interest right now is for the viewers to not think much about what's going in terms of hosting, meaning I'd like to be as much of a neutral to pleasant presence as host,” she said. “I really don't want to make it about me, because it's not ... [I'm] just trying to decrease any drama factor going on and kind of go back to this incredible, iconic show.”

Mayim is set to host new season 38 episodes of Jeopardy! through November 5 and then Ken will take over. At the moment, she’s looking forward to getting to know the Jeopardy! prodigy better and silence the noise around her while she's on the legendary show.

Mayim Bialik speaks out on 'Jeopardy!' drama l GMA

Good Morning America 23 September, 2021 - 07:10am

Mayim Bialik Is Pushing Hard For The Full-Time 'Jeopardy!' Hosting Gig

UPROXX 23 September, 2021 - 07:10am

Jeopardy! would seemingly find a new host in executive producer Mike Richards while Bialik was hired to host primetime specials on ABC and future spin-offs of the series. However, this would change just nine days later as Richards stepped down from the position after controversial comments made on a deleted podcast resurfaced and would remain on as EP, though this would also change shortly thereafter as Sony Pictures Television would ultimately fire Richards from Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune altogether. In the wake of this, Bialik was announced to be guest hosting the first few weeks of the current season while Jennings and Burton came up as potential frontrunners for the job, though the former would be removed after controversial old tweets were discovered.

As the search continues for the permanent host, Bialik spoke with Glamour to discuss her time on Jeopardy! thus far. When asked about her interest in taking the job, the actress and neuroscientist confirmed "there's no other job" she would rather have and opened up about the "special experience" she's had guest hosting the series. See what Bialik said below:

Late Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek is known for his interview with 92nd Street Y for expressing his belief that his successor should be a woman brimming with intelligence and charm and Bialik has certainly displayed both in her episodes thus far. Due to her busy schedule as a parent, podcast host and executive producer and star of Call Me Kat, the biggest thing currently holding Bialik back from becoming the full-time host of the series, though given her strong desire to land the job and the studio reportedly seeing her as the main frontrunner for the gig, the door is clearly still open for Bialik to succeed Trebek. In the meantime, viewers can look forward to seeing Bialik continue to guest host the series alongside former champion Jennings for the remainder of the season.

Source: Glamour

Jeopardy!: Mayim Bialik All-In on Being Named Permanent Host

Bleeding Cool News 22 September, 2021 - 07:38am

Getting the role of Jeopardy! host is a dream of sorts for actress Mayim Bialik, who was part of a pool as a potential replacement for the late Alex Trebek, who passed in November 2020. On September 16, it was (sort of) realized when Sony Pictures Television announced that The Big Bang Theory and Call Me Kat star would share hosting duties until the end of the year with Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards, who was one of the show's executive producers and also had a guest host stint. After backlash from his time as executive producer of The Price is Right and past comments made on a podcast, Richards was ousted from both roles on the game show. Also replacing him for now is first guest host & former champion, Ken Jennings. The actress and neuroscientist spoke with Glamour on a wide range of issues, from her vaccination stance to how it felt competing with fan-favorite LeVar Burton.

"Having a full-time job [on Fox's Call Me Kat] didn't stop me from wanting [Jeopardy!]," Bialik said. "But it really was after those two days that I realized I had never wanted anything more than that job. I'm not a person who leans deeply into intuition. I wish that I was. But this was a case where I intuitively felt something very special had happened for me in my life. From just those two days [taping episodes to air over two weeks]. I said to the crew, 'I don't want to leave. I really don't want to leave.' And these are long days. These are not easy days. These are long days with someone, constantly, literally, in your ear. You need to think on your feet; you need to pronounce words in the Navajo language, which is not something I had ever done before. Learning to name the lakes of Africa, I'm literally being asked to squeeze my brain. It's not easy work. But there was something really special that I felt there, and I can't explain it."

When asked if Bialik rather be Jeopardy's permanent host, it was a no-brainer. "I think it's very clear," she said. "There's no other job I would rather have. I love my sitcom work, I do. I love all the other things I do. I love the podcast. But I absolutely have never had a better job." For more on her time working with Richards to prep for guest hosting, balancing time on the game show and scheduling on FOX's Call Me Kat, addressing her and her family's COVID vaccination status, and working with Jennings, you can go to Glamour.

A timeline of the 'Jeopardy!' drama: From Alex Trebek's death to Mike Richards' ousting

Fox News 22 September, 2021 - 05:30am

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper.

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment.

"Jeopardy!" has been on television since 1984 and has rarely seen scandal in the decades since then.

However, the show's history was recently marred by controversy when the search for a replacement for late host Alex Trebek led the show to hire executive producer Mike Richards before he was ultimately ousted from the role.

The saga isn't quite over yet, as "Jeopardy!" is still looking for someone to serve as a permanent host now that Richards' short tenure of only five episodes has ended.

From Trebek's tragic passing to today, here's a timeline of the drama behind-the-scenes at "Jeopardy!"

After a years-long battle with pancreatic cancer, Trebek passed away on Nov. 8, 2020.

A beloved fixture of American entertainment, the star's passing devastated those involved in the television industry, as well as fans of the show, as he was still serving as the host of the popular game show.

Immediately after his death, questions arose about how the show will move forward.

Some game shows film in advance, and Trebek had taped several months' worth of episodes before his passing.

His final episode aired in early January 2021, and while the show had announced their plans to have guest hosts fill in until a replacement was named, the show's future was unclear.

A week later, on Jan. 11, 2021, famed "Jeopardy!" champion Ken Jennings served as the first of several guest hosts.

After a long guest-hosting stint from Jennings, it was time to move on and allow someone else to take the wheel.

First up was Richards, who was working as an executive producer on both "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune."

In the coming months, the team behind "Jeopardy!" had the difficult task of finding a replacement for one of television's most beloved icons.

In an effort to buy time – and possibly to audition possible contenders – the show elected to employ guest hosts to take over while they searched. Outside of Jennings and Richards, several other celebrities and industry figures took on hosting duties.

Katie Couric followed Richards, while stars like Aaron Rodgers, LeVar Burton, Joe Buck, Robin Roberts, Mayim Bialik and more took a turn at the helm.

After searching for months, "Jeopardy!" announced that they'd finally found Trebek's permanent replacements.

The show announced that Richards would take over the primary show while Bialik would host special spin-off events such as "Jeopardy! National College Championship."

Despite the show's confidence in Richards, his casting was dragged online by fans and questions of the casting process arose considering Richards would have been privy to parts of it. Sony, the studio behind the show, has maintained that his role as a producer had nothing to do with his casting.

Bialik largely managed to avoid the backlash.

Not long after his casting was announced, several scandals in Richards' past bubbled to the surface.

Among them were a handful of comments he made during a podcast several years before that were deemed sexist. He had also previously been named as a defendant in multiple discrimination lawsuits filed during his 10-year run as executive producer of the "The Price Is Right," per Variety

Such scandals caused an uproar among fans of the show, as well as those invested in the search for a new host.

Within days of announcing his casting, Richards stepped down from his new role as host.

When he announced his departure, Richards said that his past had become a "distraction" for the fans and said that him remaining host was "not the right move for the show."

The quick turnaround surprised people keeping tabs on the situation, especially since it seemed "Jeopardy!" was back at square one as they resumed the search for a permanent host.

"Jeopardy!" found themselves in a tough spot once again after Richards filmed only five episodes as host before stepping down.

Luckily, the studio called on Bialik for help, and she agreed to guest host for a time while executives figured out a game plan for finding a new host.

After announcing that he would not host "Jeopardy!," questions arose regarding Richards' position as an executive producer on the show.

Such questions were answered in an Aug. 25, 2020 article from the New York Times, in which it was reported that Sony’s top television executive, Ravi Ahuja, confirmed to colleagues that Richards would not lose his behind-the-scenes gig.

It was also revealed that Richards would take sensitivity training.

When the tension and controversy over Richards' involvement with "Jeopardy!" did not dissipate after he stepped down as host, the decision was made to end his relationship with Sony entirely.

On Aug. 31, 2021, it was announced that Richards would no longer work as an executive producer on "Jeopardy!" or "Wheel of Fortune."

"We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks," a note from Sony brass said to staffers said at the time. "That clearly has not happened."

Before stepping down as host, Richards filmed five episodes of "Jeopardy!" – about a day's worth of work.

His first episode as permanent host aired on Sept. 13 and fans took to Twitter to voice their discomfort with the situation.

His final episode as host aired on Sept. 17, while the last episode that saw him serve as executive producer aired on Sept. 20.

With the fall television season approaching with a lineup that includes Bialik's sitcom "Call Me Kat," it was clear that "Jeopardy!" would need to call in some backup to help out with hosting duties.

On Sept. 16, the show announced that Jennings would once again return to tag team the gig and switch off with the actress when their schedules allowed.

Meanwhile, the search for a third permanent host is no doubt underway, though reports suggest that Bialik and "Jeopardy!" have a mutual interest in her taking over full-time.

Congress could cost Americans $15 trillion and 6 million jobs if it doesn't raise the debt ceiling, Moody's says

Fox News 21 September, 2021 - 12:00am

Congress has mere weeks to avoid that, and progress so far has been slow.

Democrats are pushing forward with their own bill to suspend the debt limit, allowing the government to keep borrowing cash and paying off its bills. But GOP lawmakers have made it clear they won't support such legislation. And Democrats' slim majority in the Senate means any dissent within their ranks could kill the effort.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has warned that the government will hit the ceiling in mid-October. If the limit isn't lifted by then, the country faces "cataclysmic" economic fallout, economists led by Mark Zandi said. The team's simulations show a default on US debt powering a downturn similar to that seen during the Great Recession . Gross domestic product would slide by nearly 4%. The country would lose almost 6 million jobs. The unemployment rate would surge to 9% from 5.2%.

And stock prices would crash by one-third during the worst of the selloff. The market nosedive would swiftly wipe out $15 trillion in household wealth.

"If lawmakers are unable to increase or suspend the debt limit ... the resulting chaos in global financial markets will be difficult to bear," the Moody's economists said, adding the US and global economies "still have a long way to go to recover" from the COVID recession.

The Tuesday report sheds more light on just how dangerous a government default would be. It also joins several warnings already made by the Biden administration and other economists.

The White House told state and local governments on Friday that failure to lift the debt ceiling would force stark cuts to federal support. Programs ranging from free school lunches to Medicaid would face a funding freeze. Disaster relief from FEMA would be dramatically scaled back. And the country would likely slide into recession as governments are forced to balance their budgets and slash jobs.

David Kelly, chief global strategist at JPMorgan, used more colorful terms to describe the fallout. Congress's last-minute negotiations over the debt ceiling are similar to kids playing with a "box of dynamite," he said in a September 13 note. Each generation of lawmakers has been "just a little more reckless and irresponsible than the last," and it may be time to retire the debt limit entirely before it forces a government default, he added.

To be sure, Democrats and Republicans are both confident the government will avoid a debt-ceiling downturn. After all, this debate has happened 57 times in the last 50 years, and solutions were reached each of those times. Lawmakers are just split on how to solve the problem today.

The easiest solution requires 10 Senate Republicans to join Democrats in voting to lift or suspend the limit. Yet Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has been adamant that GOP members won't support such action.

Democrats, however, have slammed Republicans for failing to undertake the historically bipartisan action. The GOP is pursuing a "dine-and-dash of historic proportions," as they racked up trillions of dollars in debt with their 2017 tax cuts and last year's stimulus spending, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted Tuesday.

Democrats will need all 50 Senate members to back the House's last-ditch fix if they're to sidestep Republicans and go it alone. With members already disagreeing over other legislation, the "political brinkmanship ... is thus painful to watch," Moody's said.

JCPenney