Nate Diaz challenges Dustin Poirier to a fight at 185 pounds: 'Pull-up'

Sports

MMA Junkie 15 July, 2021 - 08:17pm 14 views

What did Conor Mcgregor break?

Conor McGregor had stress fractures in his left leg prior to getting injured in UFC 264, the star fighter said Thursday. "I had multiple stress fractures in the leg above the ankle," McGregor said in a video on Instagram. ... The Irishman broke his leg while fighting Dustin Poirier in UFC 264 on Saturday. The AthleticConor McGregor had stress fractures in leg before injury in UFC 264

By Follow @mrmwells

By |

Nate Diaz loves to stir the pot.

Although Diaz is coming off a unanimous decision loss in the first non-title, non-headlining five-round bout against Leon Edwards at UFC 263, that hasn’t stopped him from calling out the biggest names around.

Although the pair have never met inside the cage, Dustin Poirier and Diaz (20-13 MMA, 15-11 UFC) were once scheduled to meet at UFC 230. Unfortunately, the fight fell through due to an injury to Poirier’s hip.

On Thursday evening, Diaz issued a public challenge to Poirier (28-6 MMA, 20-5 UFC) via Twitter, in an attempt to finally throw down with Poirier:

— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) July 16, 2021

Interestingly, Diaz appears to want this potential bout to take place at middleweight, unlike their previously scheduled bout that was set to take place at lightweight.

Poirier is coming off a TKO victory over Conor McGregor at UFC 264, a bout that put Poirier ahead in their trilogy by winning two of the three bouts.

Immediately after the win, Poirier showed interest in challenging lightweight champion Charles Oliviera for the title, as well as a fourth fight with McGregor when he’s healthy to return.

However, with this new challenge from Diaz, Poirier could potentially have a new option on the table, and judging by his reply to Diaz’s tweet, he’s not opposed to the idea:

I’d touch you up at any weight

I'd touch you up at any weight

— The Diamond (@DustinPoirier) July 16, 2021

Before signing to fight McGregor at UFC 264, Poirier opted for the money fight that closed the door on a heated rivalry instead of a title shot that could have been his if he wanted it.

With Diaz always bringing increased attention, would Poirier pass up another opportunity at the title?

Neither fighter has competed at middleweight in their professional career.

UFC· July 15, 2021 10:56 pm ET · By: Matthew Wells and Simon Samano

The photos raise more questions after Conor McGregor said Dana White and the UFC were aware of his condition before UFC 264.

UFC· July 15, 2021 10:30 pm ET · By: MMA Junkie Staff

Our “Spinning Back Clique” panel plays matchmaker in the UFC’s welterweight division.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 9:50 pm ET · By: Farah Hannoun and John Morgan

Ali Abdelaziz says Scott Coker is the missing piece to make the Fabricio Werdum vs. Fedor Emelianenko rematch happen.

UFC· July 15, 2021 8:50 pm ET · By: MMA Junkie Staff

With his TKO win over Conor McGregor, Dustin Poirier, in all likelihood, punched his ticket to a UFC lightweight title shot.

UFC· July 15, 2021 8:15 pm ET · By: MMA Junkie Staff

Revisit the highlight moments of UFC 264 in super slow-motion.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 7:30 pm ET · By: Danny Segura and Nolan King

Watch Matheus Mattos discuss his upcoming bantamweight bout against Cee Jay Hamilton at Bellator 262.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 6:45 pm ET · By: Danny Segura and Nolan King

Watch Cee Jay Hamilton discuss his upcoming bantamweight bout against Matheus Mattos at Bellator 262.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 6:00 pm ET · By: Nolan King

“Pantera” Diana Avsaragova returns to the cage Friday against Gabriella Gulfin.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 5:20 pm ET · By: Danny Segura and Nolan King

Arlene Blencowe discusses her women’s featherweight bout against Dayana Silva at Bellator 262.

Bellator· July 15, 2021 4:50 pm ET · By: Danny Segura and Nolan King

Watch Denise Kielholtz discuss her upcoming women’s flyweight title bout against Juliana Velasquez at Bellator 262.

Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox!

Please re-enter your email address.

You'll now receive the top MMA Junkie stories each day directly in your inbox.

Powered by WordPress VIP

More Information

Start every day with our most popular content waiting in your inbox.

Please re-enter your email address.

You'll now receive the top MMA Junkie stories each day directly in your inbox.

Please enter an email address.

Please check your email for a confirmation.

Read full article at MMA Junkie

Jake Paul unveils letter he sent Dustin Poirier alongside $100K “Sleepy McGregor” chain

Dexerto 16 July, 2021 - 12:01am

Jake Paul has been trying to pick a fight with UFC legend Conor McGregor for months now, and with the Irish mixed martial artist avoiding the self-proclaimed Problem Child, Paul has turned up the heat.

To celebrate Poirier’s famous and meme-worthy KO of McGregor, Paul purchased a custom $100,000 chain featuring the fighter in his knocked-out position.

Jake first unveiled his chain in the build-up to UFC 264, an event marking the third time McGregor and Poirier would duke it out. Poirier would end up earning the win via doctor stoppage in round one after Conor suffered a serious ankle injury.

In a tweet on July 15, Paul revealed a letter he personally wrote to Poirier, congratulating him on his triumphant victory.

“I love what you are doing with your Good Fight Foundation,” he wrote, referencing the MMA star’s charitable work. “You deserve this chain more than me! Good always beats evil!”

Crazy press week but finally got time to get to a FedEx to ship this to Dustin🙏🏼

It’s on the way @DustinPoirier 💎 pic.twitter.com/De4i6aVGQd

— Paul Paul (@jakepaul) July 15, 2021

As a PS, Jake asked Dustin to tell his wife that he says hi and that she’s a “badass.” Notably, after the fight with Conor, Jolie Poirier flipped off The Notorious One as he sat defeated in the octagon.

It’s quite interesting to see Paul and Poirier in such good spirits, and it may end up paving the way to that long-awaited match between McGregor and Jake down the line.

Previously, McGregor has stated he is open to the idea of fighting with Jake or Logan – something he was highly dismissive of in the past.

With Paul fighting for UFC champ Tyron Woodley next and Conor recovering from an ankle injury, it’s doubtful that fight will be soon… but if Jake wins his next match, who knows what the future could hold.

Jake Paul feels NO sympathy for 'piece of s***' Conor McGregor after MMA star broke his leg in loss

Daily Mail 16 July, 2021 - 12:01am

By Alex Raskin Sports News Editor For Dailymail.com

YouTuber and part-time boxer Jake Paul said he doesn't feel any sympathy for mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor after the 'piece of s***' suffered a broken leg in Saturday's UFC title loss to Dustin Poirier.

'He's sitting there on the ground after losing, talking s*** to Dustin Poirier's wife,' Paul told TMZ. 'I don't feel bad at all.

'I think he's an evil man, and he had what was coming for him.'

Prior to Saturday's fight, Paul commissioned a $100,000 diamond chain with a figurine pendant of 'sleepy' McGregor — a nod to the Irish MMA fighter's previous loss to Poirier in January when he appeared to be asleep after suffering a second-round technical knockout.

As a reward for Poirier's win on Saturday, his second in the trilogy with McGregor, Paul sent the chain to the UFC lightweight, who reportedly plans to auction it off for charity.

YouTuber and part-time boxer Jake Paul said he doesn't feel any sympathy for mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor after the 'piece of s***' suffered a broken leg in Saturday's UFC title loss to Dustin Poirier. Prior to Saturday's fight, Paul commissioned a $100,000 diamond chain with a figurine pendant of 'sleepy' McGregor — a nod to the Irish MMA fighter's previous loss to Poirier in January when he appeared to be asleep after suffering a second-round technical knockout. As a reward for Poirier's win on Saturday, his second in the trilogy with McGregor, Paul sent the chain to the UFC lightweight, who reportedly plans to auction it off for charity

Conor McGregor is carried off on a stretcher after losing to Dustin Poirier in a UFC 264 lightweight mixed martial arts bout on Saturday in Las Vegas

Dustin Poirier kicks McGregor on his way to his second straight win over the Irish MMA star

'He sent me the address I'm sending him the chain,' Paul told TMZ. 'And I think he's raffling it off for charity. Someone should actually be able to get the chain.

'I think he deserves [the chain],' Paul said of Poirier. 'I think it's hilarious. I hope he takes a picture with it and posts it on Instagram.'

According to Paul, 'the chain is more solid than McGregor.'

Like Paul, McGregor has dabbled in boxing, losing to undefeated Floyd Mayweather by TKO in the 10th round in 2017.

Paul has previously suggested he and McGregor could box each other in a pay-per-view event, and claims he offered the MMA star a $50 million payday to do so. However, as Paul explained to TMZ, that offer is no longer on the table.

Paul's 'Sleepy McGregor' pendant is a nod to the Irish MMA's star's first loss to Poirier 

'I just love to see McGregor plummet,' Paul said. 'He was a meteoric star that's not just taking a nose dive. Before I wanted to fight him. And I offered him $50 million and now my offer's $23.

Paul currently has plans to box another MMA star, Tyron Woodley, in a pay-per-view event on August 28. The event is being produced by Showtime, which recently signed Paul to a multi-fight deal. 

Although Paul is undefeated at 3-0, he's only boxed former MMA fighters, a fellow YouTuber, and retired NBA star Nate Robinson. 

'I haven't been hit in three fights,' Paul said while promoting his fight with Woodley on Tuesday. 'That's a fact. I just want to add some experience to my belt.'

Despite his relative inexperience, Paul said he hopes to fight Mexico's Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, considered by many to be the best boxer, pound-for-pound, in the world.  

'I want to fight Canelo Alvarez in three years,' Paul said. 'I want to be a world champion. Tyron is the perfect person to maybe get me to the third round.' 

Paul (right) currently has plans to box another MMA star, Tyron Woodley (left), on August 28

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Nate Diaz Challenges Dustin Poirier To A MW Fight, Poirier Responds

MMA News 15 July, 2021 - 07:56pm

Nate Diaz has just laid down a challenge for Dustin Poirier to “pull up” and meet him in the middleweight division.

As Dustin Poirier is spending some valuable family time after completing another grueling training camp that culminated in “The Diamond” getting his hand raised in his trilogy bout against Conor McGregor, a Stockton gangster just came knocking at his door, and he is looking to cause some trouble.

In what would fit well with one of the “Absolutely Nobody:” memes that are still circulating centuries after they first began, nobody, including Dustin Poirier, said a word, yet Nate Diaz decided to throw out a pitch from way back in left field.

“185lbs. Pull-up,” the tweet reads with a picture of Poirier and Diaz facing off.

As the above face-off documents, Poirier and Diaz were originally supposed to fight at UFC 230, but the fight was later canceled, with both fighters pointing the finger at one another as the reason.

Since the cancellation, Poirier has continued to build his name to new heights after picking up not one but two wins over Conor McGregor and also solidifying himself as the #1 contender in the lightweight division. Meanwhile, Nate Diaz has now lost two of his last three fights, including falling to Leon Edwards at UFC 263 last month.

Given the difference in their career trajectories, many fans may shrug off the chances of this fight happening, especially with Poirier being next in line for a title shot.However, Dustin Poirier has made it clear that as much as he dreams of becoming UFC champion, he is a provider first and foremost, which was a major reason behind Poirier opting to fight McGregor in a trilogy instead of competing against Charles Oliveira for the then-vacant lightweight title.

Furthermore, when Poirier and Diaz were originally booked to fight in 2018, the Louisianian was deep in the lightweight title picture back then as well but chose to pursue the money fight with Diaz instead of pursuing a title shot or title-eliminator bout.

All things considered, this proposal from Nate Diaz may not be as random and far-fetched as it originally seems. After the original fight with Diaz collapsed, Poirier would go on to win the interim lightweight title in his next fight against Max Holloway at UFC 236. In theory, Poirier could again take another money fight and still be the division’s #1 contender after he’s finished handling this unfinished business.

I'd touch you up at any weight

MMA News is your source for news, interviews and results from the world's top Mixed Martial Arts leagues.

Sports Stories