Six bizarre things Trump said in his rambling golf statement including calling himself a ‘wonderful person’

Sports

indy100 18 July, 2021 - 05:58am 9 views

How much money did Morikawa win today?

Collin Morikawa collects Open-record $2.07 million. Runner-up Jordan Spieth takes in $1.198 million from $11.5 million pot. Sports Illustrated2021 British Open: Final Purse, Prize Money, Payouts From Open Championship at Royal St. George's

In a truly bizarre press release, the former president explained that he had spent a lot of time watching the Open Championship golf tournament which is currently happening in Scotland but not at the location where he would like to see it.

If you hadn’t have guessed it already Turnberry is a luxury golf resort on the Firth of Clyde in Ayrshire which is now known as Trump Turnberry after the Trump Organisation purchased it in 2014. It hasn’t hosted the Open since 2009.

Steady on Donald. It’s not Disney World.

Next is possibly the strangest thing Trump has ever said and we don’t say that sort of thing lightly.

Referring to himself in the first person now? Boy...get this man back on Twitter pronto. He is starving for the recognition of his supporters.

This is a reference to the 1977 Open Championship which came down to Nicklaus and Watson which many consider to be one of the finest contests in golfing history. However, it is the ‘Duel in the Sun’ not ‘Dual in the Sun.’ Honestly...Also this took place decades before Trump owned the course so is he trying to take credit for it?

Trump might consider it a shame that his course is being neglected but the Open has only been held there four times in the tournaments entire history and never since he has owned it so we can’t see it returning there any time soon.

As you can imagine, Trump ramblings have been widely ridiculed on social media.

We just hope that Trump is playing a lot of golf at the moment because lord knows he didn’t get a chance to do that much when he was president.

Read full article at indy100

The Open Championship: Final Round Live | Sweet Spot LIVE

Racing Post 18 July, 2021 - 11:10pm

Course Rater Confidential: Are blind shots fair, or too gimmicky? What makes a good one?

Golf.com 18 July, 2021 - 11:10pm

Collin Morikawa plays his second shot on the 5th hole at Royal St. George's.

Will Davenport (panelist since 2021; has played 40 of the World Top 100): Blind shots are a perfectly fair part of the game, and I’m not particularly picky about how they present. They present a unique mental challenge, and they add a few moments of hanging suspense to the round as you rise over the crest of the hill. Perhaps I am biased, as my home course in college, The Course at Yale, had more than its share of blind approaches. My criteria for blind shots is generally that they must be naturally mounded (a la the 3rd hole at National Golf Links), and there must be some sort of directional — natural or otherwise — that marks the approximate line. I am particularly partial to directionals with character (read: flags bisecting the green).

Tim Gallant (panelist since 2019; has played 67 of the World Top 100): Clearly Brooks doesn’t like his golf courses to be fun. Because few moments can bring the same anticipation or excitement as when you crest the hill on a blind shot to see just how close (or far) you are from the hole. I enjoy blind holes and shots, and the challenge they present to test one’s ability to pick a line and commit to it without having a visual reference. I actually like when there are NO indications on where the hole is on a blind shot. Is it not more fun to try to line up over the third divot left of the second rock?

Christian Faergemann (panelist since 2013; has played 70 of the World Top 100): Blind shots are a part of the legacy of golf course design. The young tour players somehow do not seem to appreciate this historic part of the game — it’s a shame. The lay of the land dictates the layout of these historic and iconic venues. At RSG, the 4th and the 5th are so special, and here the blind shots play a crucial role in the strategy of the design of the hole. Personally, I like the blind shot at these special courses. Makes you think and commit to the shots and if you think you made the perfect shot swing — who isn’t a bit anxious to see where it actually ended up?

David McLay Kidd (panelist since 2004; has played 60-plus of the World Top 100): Pretty sure every course that hosts The Open is peppered with blind shots! Having played every Open venue I’d agree with Brooks that RSG is unique but not because of the blind shots, it’s what happens when they land. Many of the fairways are crowned and shed balls into the roughs testing not just your golfing skills but your strength of character! As a golf-course designer I build my fair share of blind holes but I try very hard to reward those that give me their faith and drive into what they can assume is safety and reward; if they strategize they get what they deserve!

All of our market picks are independently selected and curated by the editorial team. If you buy a linked product, GOLF.COM may earn a fee. Pricing may vary.

GOLF.com and GOLF Magazine are published by EB GOLF MEDIA LLC, a division of 8AM GOLF

Bryson DeChambeau Caps Humbling Week With 65 in British Open Final Round

Sports Illustrated 18 July, 2021 - 04:03pm

It began with the usual attention he attracts, since packing on the weight, since juicing up the swing, since winning the 2020 U.S. Open and since engaging in the public feud with Brooks Koepka. He has become one of golf’s primary personalities.

Then came attention DeChambeau could have done without. After shooting a frustrating 71 on Thursday, DeChambeau committed an ethical no-no by blaming equipment, declaring that his driver "sucks." Such comments, in the land of tabloid headlines and boorish-American attitudes, was like tossing gasoline on a brush fire.

The 27-year-old DeChambeau got destroyed by the press, and drew unflattering reactions from fellow players and his equipment company, Cobra. On Friday, DeChambeau issued an apology, but chose not to do a press conference, talking instead to a handful of reporters.

"I made a mistake," he told them. "I think as time goes on, I'll look at this as a growing moment for me personally, and hopefully I can make the right things going on from here on out. I was in a heated situation, and I feel really bad about it."

For his final act on Sunday, DeChambeau presented a more admirable face. He demonstrated reliance and fortitude by putting the awkward residue behind and shooting a five-under-par 65 to finish at two-under 278 for the championship. The bogey-free card featured five birdies, including three in succession at No. 12, 13 and 14. DeChambeau hit 50% of the fairways and 15 greens.

“There wasn't too much wind; it’s sunny,” DeChambeau said. “I like the sun with a small amount of wind. I played well. I was hitting the fairway today a lot, and felt pretty comfortable with the irons from 150, 130, 140 yards out.

“I struck some really nice iron shots in there and gave myself a lot of opportunities today, which I was proud of that fact.”

DeChambeau readily admits, the British Open remains a work in progress for him. In three previous starts, he had two missed cuts and tied for 51st (2018). The power game he promotes doesn’t readily translate to a seaside setting, where wind and debilitating rough can be part of the equation.

Some valuable lessons might have been learned this time, both on the course and off.

“Finishing five under is a good feat, given it's the Sunday of an Open Championship,” DeChambeau said. “And I think that I'll learn a lot from this going into next year.

“It's one of those things that, as time goes on, I'll keep learning more and more about Open Championship style golf, and one day again hopefully I can hold up the Claret Jug. That would be awesome. One of those things I'll keep learning over the course of time, but definitely was more of an accountant today.”

Trump takes swipe at organizers of British Open for not holding golf tournament at his Scottish course

The Independent 18 July, 2021 - 09:51am

Former president Donald Trump has taken a swipe at the organisers of the British Open golf tournament for hosting it at the Royal St George’s Golf Club in Kent, England instead of his Scottish golf course Turnberry.

“I have spent some time watching The Open Championship (formerly known as The British Open), and it is terrific!” Mr Trump said in an email from his post-presidential office.

“But as almost all of the great players, sportscasters, and golf aficionados know, the greatest site and course of all for The Open is Turnberry, in Scotland. It is truly a magical place, the players want to be there, and at some point in time the players will be there,” he added.

Mentioning himself in the third person, Mr Trump claimed that his Scottish course “was not chosen for The Open because they consider a wonderful person, and many-time Club Champion, named Donald J Trump, to be too controversial—this is, of course, a false reputation caused mainly by the Fake News Media”.

“Remember, though, controversy only makes things ‘hotter’. In any event, Turnberry is also the course where the greatest match of all time was played, nicknamed ‘The Du[e]l in the Sun,’ which boiled down to an Open between the great Jack Nicklaus and the great Tom Watson.”

The Turnberry battle during the 106th Open between Mr Nicklaus and Mr Watson took place in July 1977.

The golf course has been owned by the Trump Organization since 2014. Mr Trump, whose mother Mary Anne MacLeod Trump was Scottish-American, is thought to have paid $63million for the course.

Royal St George’s in the south-east of England, the course chosen for the 149th Open, has been criticised by some players.

“It’s not my favourite venue that we’ve played,” US pro golfer Brooks Koepka said earlier this week. “Whether it be a couple shots to nothing, a couple blind tee shots or shots in where you can’t really see much. I’m not too big of a fan of that.”

“Turnberry is on the ocean with the most spectacular holes, sightlines, shots, and seaside views of any course in the World,” Mr Trump continued.

Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson shelter from a storm on the final day of the British Open held at Turnberry Golf Club on July 9 1977 in Ayr, Scotland.

Following the insurrection and Capitol riot on 6 January perpetrated by a pro-Trump mob, many businesses cut their connections to Mr Trump and the Trump Organization.

The Open, Europe’s only major, has been played at Turnberry four times, most recently in 2009.

UK filings by Mr Trump’s company shows that around $100m was spent on improving the course, as well as other expenses, following the acquisition.

“It is a shame that the phenomenal Turnberry Golf links, the best in the World, sits empty during Open Championships, while far lesser courses are on display. Oh well, life proceeds forward! Someday The Open will be back at Turnberry,” Mr Trump concluded.

Bryson DeChambeau admits he 'loved being booed' by the crowd

Daily Mail 18 July, 2021 - 09:17am

By Charlotte Daly For Mailonline

Bryson DeChambeau 'loved' the fact the Royal St George's crowd booed him for refusing to use a driver off the 1st tee on day two at The Open.

The American spurned his driver in favour of a four iron for the 1st tee and as he prepared to take his shot the crowd behind let him out some pantomine boos.

Reflecting on the incident, DeChambeau said it was 'great to hear' and even admitted to finding it 'funny'.

Bryson DeChambeau (above) 'loved' the fact the Royal St George's crowd booed him for refusing to use a driver off the 1st tee on day two at The Open

Speaking to Sky Sports on Sunday, DeChambeau shared his thoughts on the crowd by saying: 'They’ve been great.

'We haven’t been here in a few years obviously and for them to see the new speed and power is pretty fun - even with a four iron.

'It was great to hear them boo me and I love that, I thought it was funny.'

DeChambeau - who has played with commendable restraint by his standards, focusing on finding fairways rather than aiming booming drives to the greens - went on to discuss his performance.

The American spurned his driver in favour of a four iron for the 1st tee (above) and as he prepared to take his shot the crowd behind let him out some pantomine boos

DeChambeau also said that has been pleased with his putting in the Open this weekend

The 27-year-old told said: 'You’ve got to miss in the right spots.

'I think there are a lot of places out here where the fairways are undulating and if you don’t hit it in the right section of the fairway then it feeds out of it.

'I learned to do that pretty well today and I controlled my irons really well. I was pleased with that and I made a few key puts.

'I didn’t make one at eight and nine. I thought I could easily make those but all-in-all I played really well and I was happy to keep it in the fairway.'

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Bryson: 'I'll learn from' final-round 65 at Open

ESPN 18 July, 2021 - 09:03am

SANDWICH, England -- After making five birdies without a bogey for a final-round 65 at Royal St. George's, and generally feeling like that is the worst he could have shot, Bryson DeChambeau was left to ponder where all that solid golf was earlier in the week.

A tumultuous week at The Open came to a nice, calm, benign end Sunday for DeChambeau, who went out early on a sun-splashed morning and figured out a few things about the links game that frustrated him at the onset of the tournament and caused a rant against his equipment company that resulted in an apology.

"Whenever you shoot 5-under at a major championship, especially the Open Championship, where I'm not used to it ... played American golf my whole life and played over here a few times with not too much success," DeChambeau said. "It's great to get something under my belt for next year.

"I felt like I understand more how to play Open Championship-style golf. If I could get a little bit better on the greens, today I shoot 8- or 9-under. It could have been a deep one today. I'm very proud to shoot 5-under -- very, very happy with that, and I'll learn a lot from it to next year."

His opening-round 71 saw him hit just four fairways, meaning DeChambeau did well to finish in just 1-over par Thursday. But he went on a postround rant about his driver, saying it "sucks," and thus calling out equipment maker Cobra. The company issued its own rebuke of the golfer, and it dominated headlines and clearly distracted DeChambeau during the second round.

Slowly, he began to find some form over the weekend. On Sunday, DeChambeau hit 15 greens, a huge improvement over Friday, his previous best day of the week, when he hit 12. He finished tied for 33th at 2 under-par 278 and 13 strokes back of winner Collin Morikawa.

DeChambeau needed 30 putts Sunday -- he never broke that number during any other round, or his scores would have been better.

This was just DeChambeau's fourth Open, and he admitted it is the major championship that challenges him the most.

"Definitely my wedges," DeChambeau said about the weak part of his game this week. "And also the strategy -- trying wedges, and also the strategy. Trying to understand how to play to certain parts of the fairway so I can get to certain pins effectively. I didn't do that the first few days. Started to learn yesterday. Today I felt pretty comfortable even with the wind switching completely. It was kind of good to navigate my way around the golf course."

DeChambeau said he might arrive early next year to play the Scottish Open prior to The Open and get better acclimated, and he's also looking forward to playing the Old Course at St. Andrews for the 150th playing of the championship.

"I've never played it," he said. "So I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do out there. If I can drive it really well, I think there's a lot of opportunities. I've heard that. So, hey, maybe next year's the golden ticket for me."

Next up for DeChambeau is the Olympics; he leaves for Tokyo next Sunday.

"I want to compete for that gold," he said.

The 149th Open: Bryson DeChambeau not sure he'll ever figure out how to tackle a links course

Sky Sports 18 July, 2021 - 08:59am

DeChambeau has drawn more headlines for his off-course activities than his performance on the Royal St George's links this week, but he put the distractions aside to close with a five-birdie 65 that got him to five under for the Championship.

He was clearly irritated in his pre-tournament press conference when asked to explain his reluctance to shout "fore", an accusation he flatly denied, and he had to deal with the usual line of questioning on his ongoing feud with Brooks Koepka before leaving the interview room thankful that the press conferences were restricted to 15 minutes.

DeChambeau then got himself into hot water with his equipment sponsors Cobra with his infamous "my driver sucks" comment after hitting only four fairways after the first round, prompting a furious response from Cobra tour operations manager Ben Schomin, who said: "it's painful when he says something that stupid".

Last year's US Open champion was forced to apologise and set about keeping the focus on his golf, and after rounds of 71, 70 and 72 left him too far back to challenge, he did at least manage his first sub-70 score of the week in perfect Sunday conditions on the Kent coast.

"Finishing five under today is a good feat given it's the Sunday of an Open Championship, and I think that I'll learn a lot from this going into next year," said DeChambeau. "It's one of those things that for me it's going to take time probably to learn the whole ins and outs of Open golf.

DeChambeau also maintained that he had been more conservative with his course management throughout the tournament, but he has yet to crack the top 30 in his four appearances in The Open, missing the cut at Carnoustie and Royal Portrush.

"There were a few times where the driver got me into a few bad places, and then obviously I had a couple of four irons get me into bad places yesterday. It's difficult out here. You've got to really manage yourself and make sure you're hitting it right parts of the fairway.

Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland

"It's one of those things that, as time goes on, I'll keep learning more and more about Open Championship style golf, and one day again hopefully I can hold up the Claret Jug.

"That would be awesome. One of those things I'll keep learning over the course of time, but definitely was more of an accountant today."

The Open 2021: Bryson DeChambeau set to play in next year's Scottish Open

The Scotsman 18 July, 2021 - 08:45am

His next outing in the game’s oldest major will be on the Old Course and, in a bid to get himself properly prepared for that assignment, the preceding Scottish Open is definitely on his radar.

“This year was a little interesting. I didn’t really know what to do with schedules. But, hopefully, I can come next year and try and play and get acclimated earlier so I can have a better chance going into The Open and hopefully I can hold up the Claret Jug. That would be awesome.”

According to Gary Player, big-hitting DeChambeau could potentially drive nine greens at St Andrews with the South African fearing the iconic venue will be made to look “obsolete”.

Looking ahead to the milestone edition, DeChambeau said: “I’ve never played it and I’m really forward to seeing what I can do next year. If I can drive it really well, I think there’s a lot of opportunities. I’ve heard that. So, hey, maybe next year is the golden ticket for me.”

Having been at the centre of attention for the wrong reasons at the start of the week after saying that his Cobra driver “sucks”, the 2020 US Open champion was pleased to sign off on a high note in Sandwich.

“Whenever you shoot five-under at a major championship, especially at the Open Championship when I’m not used to it and have played American golf my whole life, it’s great to get something under my belt ahead of next year,” he said.

“I felt like I understand a little bit more on how to play Open Championship-style golf and it’s just about trying to get a little better on the greens. I could have shot eight or nine under. It could have been a deep one. But I’m proud of the fact I got five under and I will learn a lot from this round for next year.

“I don’t think I will ever figure out the whole ins and outs of Open golf, but hopefully one year I can get some of the right breaks going for me and being really good with all facets of my game and give myself a great chance to win an Open Championship.

“It’s just strategy. Learning to play from certain parts of the fairways, so I can get to certain pins effectively. I didn’t do that too much the few days, but still started to learn on Saturday and felt pretty comfortable, even with the wind switching.

“It’s was cool (today) to see the way I navigated around the golf course and just picked it out where I could and picked it apart.”

Trump lashed out at the Open Championship for not using his Scottish golf club as a venue, saying its because he's 'too controversial'

Yahoo News 18 July, 2021 - 07:50am

Trump in a statement said it's because they consider him to be "too controversial."

Some Trump businesses have faced blowback in the wake of his presidency.

See more stories on Insider's business page.

Former President Donald Trump lashed out at Open Championship on Saturday for not using his Turnberry golf club in Scotland as a venue in the competition.

Trump in the statement said that the reason competition organizers had not used the venue was that he had become "too controversial."

"This course was not chosen for The Open because they consider a wonderful person, and many-time Club Champion, named Donald J. Trump, to be too controversial - this is, of course, a false reputation caused mainly by the Fake News Media," he said in the statement.

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, which organizes the tournament, announced days after January 6 insurrection that Turnberry would not be among the venues hosting the Open this year, reported the Golf Digest.

The body said that Open games wouldn't be played at the course "the foreseeable future" until the ruling body "is convinced that the focus will be on the championship, the players and the course itself and we do not believe that is achievable in the current circumstances."

The Royal St. Georges Golf Club in Kent, southeast England, is hosting the 149th Open Championship. The Open or the British Open is the oldest golf tournament in the world, and one of the most prestigious.

Trump during his four years as the president faced accusations of violating conflict of interest rules by continuing to promote his businesses. The US taxpayer is still footing up to $150,000 of the bill for his communications as a former president, with critics on Saturday questioning why he was using the channel to push his golf resort.

After the tumultuous end of his presidency, some of his businesses have faced blowback.

Trump has launched a lawsuit against New York City authorities for canceling a golf club contract over his alleged role in inciting the Capitol riot.

The Trump Organisation, the umbrella company for Trump's various businesses, has come under intense legal pressure in recent months. Company CFO Allen Weisselberg in July was charged by the Manhattan district attorney's office with accepting valuable perks from the company as a tax dodge. (Weisselberg denies the accusation).

Trump has claimed that the investigation is really a political vendetta, and the perks were not illegal.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Trump told journalists who wrote the book "I Alone Can Fix It," that he believed he could beat Washington in an election, even with Lincoln as his running mate.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took aim at President Joe Biden’s immigration policies over the weekend, accusing the administration of having a double standard when it comes to allowing Cuban migrants.

Mike Lindell made more baseless comments at the ReAwaken America tour, claiming former President Trump got substantially more votes than Biden

Given the unprecedentedly long shadows Donald Trump continues to cast, it’s worth asking: Can this event ever survive with this name, at this place?

The Arizona Senate lacks the authority to recall electors, the legislative body's Republican president said on Friday.

It was the second time violent protesters have gathered in Los Angeles outside Wi Spa, though little has been confirmed about any incident involving a trans woman.View Entire Post ›

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told Fox News Sunday he may follow Texas Democrats' lead and "leave town" in order to stop a $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, a key priority of President Biden's agenda, from passing in Congress.Why it matters: The U.S. Constitution stipulates that a quorum of at least 51 senators must be present on the floor for the Senate to conduct business, "unless a roll call vote or quorum call suggests otherwise."Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Sub

More than 20 progressive groups are launching an $800,000 ad campaign against Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), highlighting his response to the January 6 Capitol riot, NBC News reports.Why it matters: The 30-second spot attacks Johnson for voting against investigating the riot, and juxtaposes videos of the attack with a clip of Johnson saying “by and large it was a peaceful protest." Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for freeJohnson's Senate se

Michael Wolff, the author best known for the tell-all “Fire & Fury: Inside The Trump White House,” appeared on “Reliable Sources” this weekend to promote his newest book — but also took the opportunity to air some of his grievances with host Brian Stelter. What started as a general complaint about all media and Wolff defending comments he’s made in the past quickly turned into the veteran writer tearing into Stelter directly. “I think you yourself, you know, while you’re a nice guy, you’re full

Boris Johnson's health minister Sajid Javid has COVID-19. The PM has performed a sharp U-turn on a special exemption from the isolation rules

It didn't take long for the Tulsa Police Department to arrest Lorraine Graves after she commented on a department Facebook post about her warrant.

What was once thought to be an 18th-century party house for aristocrats has been discovered to possibly be the 1200-year-old home of a deposed king.

"There was no talk of a coup ... it never happened, and it's just a waste of words by fake writers and a General who didn't have a clue," Trump said.

Former Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams on Saturday said the CDC is being premature in lifting mask mandate, amid rise in Delta variant

After closing with a 65, Brooks Koepka never cracked a smile during his post-round news conferences at the 149th British Open.

Former President Donald Trump claimed on Sunday that one of the reasons some people are unwilling to take the COVID-19 vaccine is because they "don't trust the Election results" from November 2020.

Alan Scott Lanoix, from Katy, Texas, who thought vaccines were "poison," spent 17 days on a ventilator before he died from COVID-19.

Probation officer Kendra Rennie told a court that Brandon Fellows "frightened" her after making sexual innuendos and even calling her mother.

The British-American tech tycoon, who once had a $100m fortune, died by apparent suicide in a Spanish prison on June 23 while awaiting extradition.

Gov. Spencer Cox said there are "talking heads who have gotten the vaccine and are telling other people not to get the vaccine."

Sports Stories