TikTok Is Down, Videos Temporarily Unavailable

Technology

Snopes.com 06 July, 2021 - 04:00pm 55 views

— TikTokSupport (@TikTokSupport) July 6, 2021

The apparent outage not only caused most users to appear to have zero followers but also resulted in TikTok’s search functionality going down. Searches for any keyword or hashtag led to zero results.

It’s unclear exactly when TikTok first went down and was hit with the apparent outage, but it appeared to happen around 3:30 p.m. EDT.

TikTok’s support account on Twitter last tweeted about the outage at 4:28 p.m. EDT.

At 5:01 p.m. EDT, the TikTok app appeared to possibly be back and fully functional for at least some territories. However, the web browser version of tiktok.com still appeared to have some issues. TikTok Support still hasn’t shared any further information to confirm that the problem has been resolved, so it would make sense if some users are still experiencing technical difficulties.

We will update this space in the coming hours should TikTok share any information about what caused the video platform to go down.

While TikTok is down, see our previous reporting about various TikTok rumors. For example, TikTok users keep getting fooled by fake livestreams with Billie Eilish and The Rock.

We also published stories about the viral “The Faces in the Closet” horror video that was making the rounds on TikTok, the “pzoom” invisible car trick, a purported trick to get a discount at Walmart, videos that claimed some of Walmart’s security cameras were fake, and one TikTok user’s journey on a “ghost ship” and in an “empty world.”

Snopes.com was also the first website to report about the viral video that showed a woman pushing a bear off a fence, and also first to publish a story about the moment gorillas found a snake at Disney‘s Animal Kingdom.

Check out all of our TikTok rumors for more stories about what’s happening on the video platform, and feel free to add Snopes.com as a bookmark to return for our future reporting.

TikTok’s status of being down and hit with an apparent outage sent quite a number of users to huddle on Twitter to discuss the development.

me onmw to twitter too see if tiktok is down #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/0HRHag57Ey

— june (@rosslynchson) July 6, 2021

Some users believed their accounts had been banned. However, this didn’t appear to be the case.

When I tell yall I thought tiktok took down my account pic.twitter.com/5CiOCR9SGk

— FENDI (@randommffendi) July 6, 2021

The service may be down worldwide:

NEW: TikTok is down (for me) in the UK. Both in app and on the website pic.twitter.com/B61dyfpHKT

— Chris Stokel-Walker (@stokel) July 6, 2021

It’s not unusual for social media platforms to go down, but it is rare. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have all experienced outages in the past.

We will update this story should TikTok make any announcements about the cause of being down or when the platform is expected to be back online.

This material may not be reproduced without permission.

Snopes and the Snopes.com logo are registered service marks of Snopes.com

Read full article at Snopes.com

TikTok down and users in meltdown as they say 'now I have to interact with folk'

Daily Star 06 July, 2021 - 05:17pm

Troubleshooting website DownDetector has reported a number of customers facing issues, with many not able to watch videos or leave comments.

A number of frustrated TikTok users took to other social media sites such as Twitter to complain.

One raged: "TikTok is down I have to interact with people again."

Another tweeted: "Ugh normally I wouldn't care but Tik Tok down on my day off?!? Rude."

A third added: "My TikTok is on drugs right now."

While a fourth said: "Me running to Twitter as soon as TikTok logs me out to find out what's going on."

"TikTok is down and so too is my self-esteem, as any shred of relevance I have continues to dwindle," joked another.

"Well there goes my fame and fortune," one user mourned.

Others worried about what they would do with their lives without the popular video-sharing app.

"WTF am I supposed to do now that TikTok is acting up," a Twitter user pondered.

"TikTok is down and now I have to message people with actual words and make conversation rather than share them a TikTok with no extra input or effort," another disgruntled TikTok fan said.

According to DownDetector, the issues were prevalent across the United States, mainly affecting New York and California.

On Tuesday evening, more than 10,000 reports were made of the app being down.

A number of users reported that their follower count had reset to zero, or their likes had vanished.

TikTok is available in 150 different countries, with more than one billion users worldwide.

In the United States alone, where the issues were first reported, there are at least 200 million users.

The social media company is yet to comment on the reports.

TikTok ‘down’ as hundreds of users rage app won’t load and have lost followers

The Mirror 06 July, 2021 - 05:17pm

Users of TikTok say they are not able to log in to the viral video app due to an ongoing outage.

Thousands of reports are flooding in from across the world about the outage which began at around 8.30pm.

Many users are raging that they are unable to access their account with others reporting that all of their followers have suddenly disappeared.

Independent monitor Down Detector, which monitors outages, has registered a huge spike in TikTok down reports while users have also reported issues in droves on Twitter.

The Down Detector outage map says the TikTok issues are affecting users in the UK and large parts of Europe with one user posting a message on the forum page saying: "TikTok is down can’t login and seeing 0 followers and 0 likes on my accounts."

Another added: "So I have to change my username??? And have 0 following, 0 followers, 0 likes??"

Along with plenty of comments on Down Detector, TikTok fans have also flooded Twitter with complaints.

One tweet said: "TikTok seems down because mine won’t let me see comments, likes or anything."

Whilst another posted a message saying: "Looks like TikTok is down showing 0 followers & 0 videos and likes where is it all gone can we get them back @tiktok_uk."

TikTok fans have also flooded Twitter with complaints.

Another Twitter user commented: "So you’re telling me I unplugged my wifi, plugged it back in, switched to my data , made my mom hotspot me and restart my phone just to find out tiktok is down #tiktokdown."

TikTok UK and TikTok Support Twitter accounts are yet to post about the issues users are reportedly experiencing tonight.

Get email updates with the day's biggest stories

TikTok suffers major glitch that reset follower and video view counts

The Independent 06 July, 2021 - 04:47pm

The app was briefly unavailable in the UK, before coming back online with errors

It follows a small outage in the country, as well as in the United States, which lasted for approximately five minutes, before the issues started to occur. The biggest issue appears to be on users’ profiles, where thumbnails are not visible and like counts - like followers and following - are set to zero.

The “For You” tab, the ‘homepage’ of TikTok, is also behaving unexpectedly - with users reporting seeing the same video appear multiple times, when TikTok’s algorithm should show a wide variety of content.

It is unclear what has caused the issue. The Independent has reached out to TikTok for more information.

“The TikTok app is currently experiencing some issues, which our team is working quickly to address. Thank you for your patience!”, the company’s official support account tweeted.

The app experienced the peak of its issues at 8:50pm GMT, according to the website DownDetector. Nearly three-quarters of those reporting issues said that they had trouble viewing content on the short-form video app.

This is not the first time that TikTok users have seen such problems, with follower and following numbers reset to zero again due to an issue on 3 May. The issues continued for three hours before the company was able to fix the problem and regain normal functionality.

TikTok down: Anger as users continue to report log in issues and thousands lose followers

Express 06 July, 2021 - 04:30pm

10:30PM UPDATE: The vast majority of TikTok users seem to be back online but many are still having problems hours after the original outage began. TikTok is working on a fix and has thanked fans for their patience. Some users have said that rebooting their phones seems to mend the glitch although there's nothing official from TikTok just yet.

ORGINAL STORY: If you're trying to access TikTok and can't log in tonight then you are definitely not alone. The hugely popular chat and video app is down right now with thousands of reports flooding in from across the world and the social media company now confirming there is a serious problem. The outage began at around 8.30pm with many users left angry as they are unable to access their accounts with others reporting that all of their followers have suddenly disappeared. Independent monitor Down Detector, which monitors online outages, has registered a huge spike in TikTok down reports while users have also reported issues in droves on Twitter.

There's currently no word on what is causing the gremlins or when things will be fixed but TikTok has now confirmed the issue with the support team saying they are working on a fix.

In a post on Twitter, TikTok said: "The TikTok app is currently experiencing some issues, which our team is working quickly to address. Thank you for your patience!"

This isn't the first time this year that TikTok users have been left unable to access their accounts or lose their followers. Back in May, a very similar issue hit the service with the App telling users that they had 0 TikTok followers.

The good news is, that issue corrected itself after everything returned to normal so hopefully the same will happen after tonight's outage.

TikTok is down: glitches rock app, stars like Charli D'amelio have zero followers

TechRadar 06 July, 2021 - 04:08pm

The TikTok app is joining the long list of social media services that have experienced outages recently.

TikTok is down, according to a growing chorus of users complaining worldwide and suddenly not rhythmically dancing in (or watching) any new short videos.

The TikTok app is currently experiencing some issues, which our team is working quickly to address. Thank you for your patience!July 6, 2021

Testing to see if TikTok is down, we could open the app on an iPhone, but things started to go wrong from there. The algorithm is showing stale content or random videos that wouldn't normally be served to our account. Others say they are now experiencing the same thing. TikTok users are also complaining about getting logged out without notice.

One of the biggest concerns with TikTok right now is among its most famous accounts. They suddenly have no followers associated with their accounts. The biggest TikTok star, Charli D'amelio, has zero followers and likes. She is following nobody, according to the glitchy app.

Thank you for signing up to TechRadar. You will receive a verification email shortly.

There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.

© Future US, Inc. 11 West 42nd Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10036.

TikTok is currently down, but it's working on a fix

Android Police 06 July, 2021 - 04:05pm

If you're a procrastinator, TikTok might be the most-used app on your phone. As an endless stream of videos algorithmically chosen just for you, it's easy to lose countless hours to scrolling. Of course, that only works if the app is actually working. A major outage is affecting TikTok users around the globe, though the service is already working on a fix.

According to Downdetector (via 9to5Google), TikTok began having issues sometime this afternoon, around 3 p.m. EDT. The service confirmed an outage about an hour and a half later via its support account on Twitter, announcing it was working on a fix. Some users have been unable to load any videos, while others can view uploads but with other sections of the app missing.

— TikTokSupport (@TikTokSupport) July 6, 2021

Speaking personally, I'm still able to load and browse through videos on TikTok, though comments and profiles aren't loading correctly. With any luck, it won't be long until the app is back up and running again.

TikTok is down and people are flocking to Twitter with memes

CNET 06 July, 2021 - 03:49pm

Social video app TikTok is experiencing some problems, with DownDetector showing a spike in outages starting around 1 p.m. PT on Tuesday. Most users report having issues watching videos, while others aren't able to log in or upload content. The app is also experiencing issues when it comes to liking videos and seeing comments. TikTok didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

As is pretty much always the case, heartbroken users took to Twitter to lament the outage with memes.

"My TikTok is down and I have no idea what to do now," one user wrote.

my tiktok is down and i have no idea what to do now #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/dpwKuQtJL9

Another user noted that TikTok's algorithm (which usually has spot-on content recommendations) is also suffering from the outage. The app's For You Page, which surfaces content it thinks users will appreciate, apparently wasn't living up to its name. "The scariest thing about TikTok being down is that it gave me a generic FYP," they wrote.

NO CUZ THE SCARIEST THING ABOUT TIKTOK BEING DOWN IS THAT IT GAVE ME A GENERIC FYP😭 #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/c39w7LO8NT

"Saw Charli [D'Amelio] on my fy page and I ran to Twitter to see if TikTok was down because my algorithm was all messed up," another user joked.

Saw charli on my fy page and I ran to twitter to see if tiktok was down because my algorithm was all messed up #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/podB2kwbVz

"Cussed my wifi out thinking it was the reason TikTok wasn't working," one tweet reads.

Cussed my wifi out thinking it was the reason tiktok wasn’t working #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/naNqazpdUk

One user was having a really rough time coping without the usual screen time. "Minute 15: TikTok is down and another human made eye contact with me for the first time in 2 years. Don't know how much longer I will last," they tweeted.

Minute 15: TikTok is down and another human made eye contact with me for the first time in 2 years. Don’t know how much longer I will last. #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/AstpfhhpWU

"When TikTok isn't working and I actually have to talk to other people on my phone," someone wrote alongside a meme of an unimpressed Steve Harvey on his phone.

when tiktok isn’t working and i actually have to talk to other people on my phone #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/4YJA8Pla9v

Another user dreamed what the world would be like without the distraction of TikTok. "Where we would be if TikTok was down 24/7," they said, along with an image of a futuristic metropolis.

where we would be if tiktok was down 24/7 #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/0Y61CyiEce

As someone succinctly put it: "how tf am I supposed to waste my afternoon if I can't scroll through TikTok?"

how tf am I supposed to waste my afternoon if I can't scroll through tiktok? #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/vY7ZRe1ND3

TikTok App Experiences Widespread Outage

Variety 06 July, 2021 - 03:42pm

By Todd Spangler

TikTok videos were not loading for many users across the U.S. Tuesday, amid what appeared to be a widespread technical outage for the popular short-form video platform lasting more than an hour.

Problem reports for the app shot up at about 3:45 p.m. ET Tuesday, per monitoring site DownDetector. Most of the user-reported issues (70%) were related to videos not loading, according to the site. Another 25% of users said they had problems logging in and 5% of issues reported were related to uploading videos.

TikTok’s support account on Twitter confirmed the problems in a tweet but did not provide information on the cause.

“The TikTok app is currently experiencing some issues, which our team is working quickly to address. Thank you for your patience!” the account tweeted at 4:28 p.m. ET.

Last week, TikTok — owned by Chinese internet giant ByteDance — announced that it would expand the maximum video length for all users, from 60 seconds to three minutes. The ability to share longer videos is supposed to roll out over the course of several weeks.

With TikTok not working, unhappy users took to other social media to vent and joke about the situation (as is often the case when a popular app goes down).

— Janet (@JanetM355) July 6, 2021

all of us rn waiting for tiktok to get itself together #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/qBUkJrhAky

— 5AYLA (@theendofkayla) July 6, 2021

TikTok rn after showing us how addicted we are #tiktokdown pic.twitter.com/HTBjzJsVnm

— laney :) (@laneysvibes) July 6, 2021

Meanwhile, the Biden administration last month officially revoked Donald Trump’s executive orders that sought to ban TikTok over alleged national security concerns. At the same time, President Biden also ordered the Commerce Department to investigate apps with ties to foreign adversaries that may pose a risk to U.S. data privacy or national security.

TikTok goes 'down' as hundreds of users fume app won't load

The US Sun 06 July, 2021 - 02:44pm

News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.

TIKTOK has gone down as hundreds of users fume the app won't load and has logged them out.

Reports emerged that the outlet was experiencing problems at around 3.30pm ET on Tuesday afternoon.

Users were complaining about issues in viewing videos, as well as logging in and uploading content.

According to a Downdetector map, the issues were prevalent across the United States.

The main areas that were affected were New York and California, it appeared.

Social media users quickly rushed to Twitter to complain about the outage asking "what am I supposed to do now?"

Others worried that their drafted videos would be deleted after "randomly being logged out."

Several users reported that their follower count showed at 0, which is what prompted them to report the issues.

There are currently over 10,000 reports of the app being down.

In the United States alone, where the reports initially emerged, there are over 200million users.

The social media company has not yet commented on the reports.

Technology Stories