Why Lala Kent Called Out Demi Lovato's 'California Sober' Stance

TooFab 20 July, 2021 - 09:31am 8 views

While Demi Lovato believes "recovery isn't a one-size-fits-all solution" when it comes to sobriety, "Vanderpump Rules" star Lala Kent made it clear she's firmly against the singer's "California Sober" approach -- and, in fact, finds it "super offensive."

Lovato, who has been open about their struggle with hard drugs and near-fatal overdose in the past, recently revealed they've been "smoking weed and drinking in moderation" -- adding that they'd just be setting themselves up for "failure" if they swore off everything entirely. "It isn't for everybody. Recovery isn't a one-size-fits-all solution," they added.

Speaking about the "California Sober" mentality and Lovato's song of the same name in an interview with Behind the Velvet Rope with David Yontef this week, Kent didn't mince words.

"You know, I don't like to judge, but I actually think that that's super offensive," she began. "You know, there are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of ... never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state."

"You know, they don't even, when they have a cold, take DayQuil or NyQuil," she continued. "So to say that you're like 'California Sober' or this type of sober is extremely offensive, I think."

"Sober to me means that you are not taking yourself out of reality," added Kent, saying the mentality was "not a real thing" and adding, "You're not sober. If you are drinking or you're smoking weed, you're not sober."

Kent herself has been sober since the end of 2018, going public with her alcoholism in March 2019 after joining Alcoholics Anonymous. "I always say if you don’t have to be sober, I wouldn’t recommend it," she said at the time, "but me, as someone who does need to be sober, being in my right frame of mind every single day is truly incredible."

Lovato, meanwhile, opened up a bit more about their approach to sobriety during an appearance on Ellen back in April.

"This term is something that like I personally identified with on this journey of finding a middle ground," Demi explained. "I've dealt with so much struggle when it comes to addiction -- whether it's food, whether it's substances --  and this all-or-nothing state of mind -- like good versus bad foods -- I can't."

"If I don't apply that with my eating disorder recovery, why is that going to work with anything?" they added.

In another interview from around the same time, Lovato said, "I didn't make up this term, right? I just heard it, and was like, 'Oh, that sounds green and applies to me.' But I think that different people have different meanings for it. So, it might be moderation to some people, it might be only natural things to some people."

Read full article at TooFab

Lala Kent Calls Out Demi Lovato for ‘California Sober’ Lifestyle

Just Jared 20 July, 2021 - 04:01pm

Lala Kent is calling out Demi Lovato.

The 30-year-old Vanderpump Rules star made an appearance on the Behind the Velvet Rope on Monday (July 19).

Click inside to read more…

Lala, who decided to get sober in 2018, spoke about Demi‘s decision to become “California sober.”

“I don’t like to judge, but I actually think that that’s super offensive,” she said.

“You know, there are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state. You know, they don’t even, when they have a cold, take DayQuil or NyQuil. So to say that you’re, like, ‘California sober’ or this type of sober is extremely offensive, I think,” she continued.

“To me, I’ve been in rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up [substances]. So sober to me means that you are not taking yourself out of reality,” she added, saying it was “not a real thing.”

“You’re not sober. If you are drinking or you’re smoking weed, you’re not sober.”

Demi recently spoke out about being misgendered, and what happens if you make a mistake.

Lala Kent Calls Out Demi Lovato's 'California Sober' Lifestyle: It's 'Super Offensive'

PEOPLE 20 July, 2021 - 11:51am

Joining the Behind The Velvet Rope podcast Monday, Kent — who decided to get sober in 2018 — weighed in on Lovato's decision to embrace what they refer to as the "California sober" lifestyle. While sobriety (particularly within 12-step recovery programs) traditionally means abstaining from all drugs and alcohol, the practice Lovato has adopted allows for them to use select substances in moderation.

"I don't like to judge, but I actually think that that's super offensive," Kent, 30, told host David Yontef. "You know, there are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state. You know, they don't even, when they have a cold, take DayQuil or NyQuil. So to say that you're, like, 'California sober' or this type of sober is extremely offensive, I think."

"To me, I've been in rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up [substances]. So sober to me means that you are not taking yourself out of reality," she added.

The Vanderpump Rules star argued that being California sober is "not a real thing."

"You're not sober," she continued. "If you are drinking or you're smoking weed, you're not sober."

Lovato, 28, has struggled with addiction for years and survived a near-death overdose in July 2018. Nearly three years after the incident, the "Met Him Last Night" singer revealed that they have chosen to continue drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana in moderation.

"I've learned that shutting a door on things makes me want to open the door even more," Lovato, who recently came out as non-binary, said in their YouTube docuseries Demi Lovato: Dancing with the Devil in March. "I've learned that it doesn't work for me to say 'I'm never gonna do this again.'"

Lovato said that they're "done with the stuff that's going to kill me" and that they're "getting ahead of the curve and being proactive" by receiving monthly Vivitrol shots. (While Vivitrol obstructs the effects of opioids, Drugs.com states that it's not considered to be a permanent solution for drug or alcohol addiction.)

Lovato later said on CBS Sunday Morning that California sober is currently the term they can "best identify" with.

"I really don't feel comfortable explaining the parameters of my recovery to people, because I don't want anyone to look at my parameters of safety and think that's what works for them, because it might not," they said in March. "I am cautious to say that, just like I feel the complete abstinent method isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody, I don't think that this journey of moderation is a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody."

Nearly two years into Kent's own sobriety journey, she opened up about how getting sober changed her for the better.

"It's important for me to say that this is a disease that can only be self-diagnosed. No one got me sober ... I got me sober. I made the choice to work hard every day to not pick up a drink," the reality star wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post in July 2020. "When I'm feeling weak, I call my sponsor. I go to meetings (sign onto them, now) to keep my spirits high and to remember why I made this life-changing choice."

"I see addiction in front of me often — but it isn't my job to speak on it, nor is it my job to judge," she continued. "It's my job to pray for them and take a moment of silence for the alcoholic who still suffers. And when someone comes to me asking for help, I offer my ear & knowledge, and point them in the direction that was pointed to me. #1year9months2days."

Lala Kent Slams Demi Lovato's "California Sober" Mentality, Why Vanderpump Rules Star Finds it "Offensive"

Reality Blurb 20 July, 2021 - 09:20am

Hi, what are you looking for?

PHOTOS: Danni Baird Buys Stunning New Home in South Carolina! See Inside Southern Charm Star’s Half a Million Dollar House

PHOTOS: Jackie Goldschneider Shows Off $3.5 Million Vacation Home in Westhampton Beach, See Pics of Inside RHONJ Star’s Beachfront Property

PHOTOS: RHOBH Star Erika Jayne’s Mansion Hits Market For $13 Million Amid Bankruptcy of Husband Tom Girardi, Go Inside the 10,000-Sq-Foot Mediterranean Property and See Its Ornate Chapel and Wine Cellar

PHOTOS: Vicki Gunvalson Sells Her Gorgeous NC Lake Home After One Day on the Market, See Pics of Inside the Home After RHOC Alum Completed Renovations and Furnishing

PHOTOS: RHOP Star Candiace Dillard Buys $1 Million Dollar Home, See Photos of Inside Candiace and Husband Chris Bassett’s Cozy, Yet Stylish House

EXCLUSIVE: Monique Samuels Talks Exposing RHOP Cast Mates in “Very Juicy” Bindertime Stories, Reveals Which Co-Stars She Still Speaks to, Plus She Teases Dream Spinoff and Skincare Line

EXCLUSIVE: Bethenny Frankel Lists $7 Million NY Home With MDL’s Ryan Serhant, See Photos of RHONY Alum’s 4,000-Square-Foot Soho Loft

EXCLUSIVE: Selling Sunset’s Mary Fitzgerald Moves Into Industrial-Style Home With Husband Romain Bonnet, See Photos!

EXCLUSIVE: Maya Vander on Why Her Husband Can’t Film For Selling Sunset, Plus She Talks Christine Quinn’s Baby News Drama and Where She Stands With Costars

EXCLUSIVE: Mary Fitzgerald Talks Selling Sunset Season 4 and Potential Spinoffs, Teases Davina Potratz’s Return and Reveals if Heather’s Fiance Will Film

Lala Kent says sobriety is hard work as she calls out singer Demi Lovato‘s “California Sober” lifestyle.

As fans well know, the Vanderpump Rules star has struggled with addiction and admitted she’s an alcoholic in 2018. Thankfully, Lala has maintained a sober lifestyle since then and continues to attend AA meetings.

Therefore, when asked about the idea of being “California Sober,” which means one can drink in moderation and smoke marijuana as Demi Lavato admits to doing, she slammed the notion.

“I don’t like to judge, but I actually think that that’s super offensive,” she said on the Behind the Velvet Rope with David Yontef podcast on July 20. “You know, there are people out there who work their *ss off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state.”

Lala says she knows former addicts who are afraid to even treat a cold with DayQuil or NyQuil, so the idea is simply bogus to her. Furthermore, she noted that she has witnessed people sacrifice almost everything in their lives in order to maintain sobriety.

“I’ve been in rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up,” she shared, adding,  “This is not a real thing [because] if you’re drinking or smoking weed, you’re not sober.”

As for how Lala maintains abstinence, she told Page Six in 2019 that the AA program is her go-to, stating it actually helped saved her life.

“I swear by the program of AA,” she told the outlet. “I know that old-timers will hate me for talking about the program because of it being an anonymous program. But there is a generation, my generation, that’s struggling and they need to know about this program. It exists and it’s saving my life.”

Demi, who also recently came out as nonbinary, suffered a near-fatal overdose three years ago, which they detailed in their Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated documentary. Though they’ve admitted they’re “California Sober,” they haven’t tried to push the idea on anyone else.

“I really don’t feel comfortable explaining the parameters of my recovery to people, because I don’t want anyone to look at my parameters of safety and think that’s what works for them, because it might not,” Demi said on CBS Sunday Morning earlier this year.

'Vanderpump Rules' Star Lala Kent Believes Demi Lovato's 'California Sober' Stance Is 'Super Offensive' — Watch

OK! 19 July, 2021 - 04:44pm

Jul. 19 2021, Published 5:44 p.m. ET

Shots fired! Lala Kent isn't a fan of Demi Lovato's "California sober" lifestyle — and has made her opinion on the pop star's stance very clear.

While appearing on Behind The Velvet Rope with David Yontef, the Vanderpump Rules star, 30, discussed the term, which gained attention after their CBSSunday Morning interview in March. (Lovato, 28, came out as nonbinary in May and changed their new pronouns to they/them.)

"There are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never placed themselves in an altered state," Kent — who has been sober since 2018 — told Yontef, noting that the people who are trying to get sober don't even take DayQuil nor NyQuil.

The TV personality explained that drugs are used to escape reality, and Lovato is still using substances that do just that, which means they aren't sober.

"So to say that you're like California Sober or this type of sober is extremely offensive," Kent insisted. The new mama — who welcomed her first child with fiancé Randall Emmett in March — said she knows men and women "who have given up everything just to not pick up."

"Sober to me means that you are not taking yourself out of reality. This is not a real thing," Kent concluded of the "California sober" term. "You're not sober. If you are drinking or you're smoking weed, you are not sober."

"California sober" is an approach to recovery "that includes drinking alcohol and smoking cannabis in moderation," Heathline reported. But according to Kent, a person cannot claim to be sober if they indulge in any form of a substance that takes them to an altered state.

During an interview in April, Lovato discussed their journey to sobriety following their 2018 near-fatal opioid overdose, saying they finally found a lifestyle that works for them.

“I think the term that I best identify with is ‘California sober,'" they told correspondent Tracy Smith. However, the "OK Not To Be OK" singer emphasized that they don't want to go into detail on what that means because they don't want people to use them as an example, since everyone is on their own journey.

Lovato also explained that they still smoke weed, candidly admitting that completely abstaining from drugs only makes them crave them even more. "I’ve learned that shutting the door on things makes me want to open the door even more," the Camp Rock alum said in her docuseries Dancing with the Devil. "I know I’m done with the stuff that’s gonna kill me … but I wish that I could get some relief maybe through like weed or something, right?"

"I really don’t feel comfortable explaining the parameters of my recovery to people, because I don’t want anyone to look at my parameters of safety and think that’s what works for them, because it might not," Lovato continued.

The "Sorry Not Sorry" singer noted that there is not one way to overcome substance abuse. "I feel the complete abstinent method isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody," they concluded. "I don’t think that this journey of moderation is a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody."

According to Patrick Cronin — an addiction specialist at Ark Behavioral Health, which runs rehab facilities in Massachusetts — Lovato has substituted their "drug of choice, opioids, with other substances like alcohol and cannabis."

Cronin explained that this "California sober" approach "is not harm reduction,” nor about minimizing usage. People who are "California sober" tend to replace one drug with another, the specialist explained, per Everyday Health.

Lovato has been very open about their substance abuse issues, most recently discussing their battle in their tell-all docuseries Dancing With the Devil, released in May. Apart from opening up about their traumatizing near-fatal overdose in the doc, they alleged that they were sexually assaulted and "left for dead" by their drug dealer on the night that they nearly died.

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.

LaLa Kent calls Demi Lovato's 'California sober' lifestyle 'offensive'

Daily Mail 19 July, 2021 - 04:28pm

By Kelby Vera For Dailymail.com

The Vanderpump Rules star, who has been sober since October 2018, said she disapproves of Lovato's recovery strategy, where the non-binary singer allows themself to drink alcohol and smoke cannabis 'in moderation.'

Kent explained how disrespectful the idea feels to people who work hard to be 100% substance-free, saying: 'I don't like to judge, but I actually think that that's super offensive.'

'If you're drinking and smoking weed, you're not sober,' she added later during her appearance on David Yontef's Behind The Velvet Rope podcast on Monday.

Not a fan: LaLa Kent thinks Demi Lovato's idea of being 'California sober' is 'super offensive' to people working hard to fight addiction. The non-binary singer allows themself to drink alcohol and smoke cannabis 'in moderation'

'There are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state,' Kent explained, adding there are some who won't even take 'DayQuil or NyQuil' because of the side effects.

'So to say that you're like California sober or this type of sober is extremely offensive,' Kent went on.

She finished by dismissing the idea that 'California sober' even exists, saying: '…I've been in rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up.'

Advocating complete abstinence, LaLa said: 'You're not sober if you're drinking or you're smoking weed, you are not sober.'

The Bravo star has been a vocal advocate for Alcoholics Anonymous since quitting drugs and alcohol after spiraling out of control following her father's sudden death.

Off the sauce: 'There are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state,' Kent explained, adding there are some who won't even take 'DayQuil or NyQuil' because of the side effects

For him: Lala, who got sober in 2018 after a bender prompted by her dad's sudden death, says she 'swears by' Alcoholics Anonymous and their 12-step program

Then: Talking about AA in 2019, she said 'It exists and it’s saving my life.' LaLa is seen in a much more chaotic state above on Vanderpump Rules

In 2019, she told Page Six:  'I swear by the program of AA.'

'I know that old-timers will hate me for talking about the program because of it being an anonymous program. But there is a generation, my generation, that’s struggling and they need to know about this program. It exists and it’s saving my life.'

Lovato opened up about their current relationship with substances in the tell-all documentary Demi Lovato: Dancing With the Devil, admitting they've 'been smoking weed and drinking in moderation.'

'I've learned that it doesn't work for me to say that I'm never going to do this again. I know I'm done with the stuff that's going to kill me, right?' said Lovato, who survived a near-fatal overdose of heroin and fentanyl in 2018.

'Telling myself that I can never have a drink or smoke marijuana, I feel like that's setting myself up for failure because I am such a black-and-white thinker.

'I had it drilled into my head for so many years that one drink was equivalent to a crack pipe,' the Disney Channel alum said.

Balance: Talking about their recovery strategy earlier this year, Demi said there 'isn't a one-size-fits-all solution' to health sobriety and that their approach won't work for everyone. They're seen in March 2021 above

They have since embraced the term 'California sober,' even using the phrase as the title of a track of their last album.

The lyrics allude to Demi's approach, saying: 'I'm California sober/ It doesn't have to mean the growin' part is over/ No, it ain't black or white, it's all of the colors.'

Lovato has stressed that there isn't a 'one-size-fits-all solution' to substance abuse and that their methods might not work for others.

Talking to CBS Sunday Morning in March, they said: 'I also don't want people to hear that and think that they can go out and try having a drink or smoking a joint, you know?'

'Because it isn't for everybody. Recovery isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. You shouldn't be forced to get sober if you're not ready. You shouldn't get sober for other people. You have to do it for yourself.'

'I am cautious to say that, just like I feel the complete abstinence method isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody. I don't think that this journey of moderation is a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody, too.'

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Lala Kent calls Demi Lovato’s ‘California sober’ mentality ‘offensive’

Page Six 19 July, 2021 - 01:12pm

July 19, 2021 | 2:12pm

Lala Kent slammed Demi Lovato’s “California sober” lifestyle — whose adherents drink and smoke weed in moderation — as “extremely offensive.”

“I don’t like to judge, but I actually think that that’s super offensive,” the “Vanderpump Rules” star said on David Yontef’s “Behind the Velvet Rope” podcast Monday. “There are people out there who work their ass off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state.”

Kent — who has been sober since October 2018 — added that there are people who won’t even take DayQuil or NyQuil when they have a cold.

“So to say that you’re like California sober or this type of sober is extremely offensive,” the 30-year-old reality star remarked.

Kent also declared that “California sober” is not a real thing.

“… I’ve been in rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up,” she said. “You’re not sober if you’re drinking or you’re smoking weed, you are not sober.”

Kent began to struggle with alcohol abuse after her father suddenly died in April 2018, and decided to seek help later that year after she drank for four straight days in Disney World on a family vacation with her fiancé Randall Emmett and his two young daughters.

“I swear by the program of AA,” she told Page Six in April 2019. “I know that old-timers will hate me for talking about the program because of it being an anonymous program. But there is a generation, my generation, that’s struggling and they need to know about this program. It exists and it’s saving my life.”

Meanwhile, Lovato, who recently came out as non-binary and use they/them pronouns, revealed that they were drinking in moderation and smoking cannabis in March 2021, nearly three years after their near-fatal heroin and fentanyl overdose.

“Yeah. I think the term that I best identify with is ‘California sober,’” they said in an interview for “CBS Sunday Morning.”

“I really don’t feel comfortable explaining the parameters of my recovery to people, because I don’t want anyone to look at my parameters of safety and think that’s what works for them, because it might not.”

Lovato has struggled with addiction for years and admitted in October 2017 that they were still using drugs while promoting a “sober lifestyle” in 2012.

“I wasn’t working my program, I wasn’t ready to get sober,” they said in their documentary, “Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated.” “I was sneaking [cocaine] on planes, I was sneaking it in bathrooms, sneaking it throughout the night … I went on a bender of like, two months where I was using daily.”

Demi branded 'extremely offensive' by VPR's Lala for calling themself 'sober'

The US Sun 19 July, 2021 - 09:47am

News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.

DEMI Lovato was branded "extremely offensive" by Vanderpump Rules star Lala Kent for their current views on sobriety.

The new mom - who has been completely sober for over two years- called out the singer for calling themself "California sober" while still drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana.

Lala told Behind The Velvet Rope with David Yontef of Demi’s substance use: "You know, I don't like to judge, but I actually think that that's super offensive.

"You know, there are people out there who work their a** off to never take themselves out of reality and to never place themselves in an altered state.

"They don’t even take DayQuil or NyQuil. So to say that you're like California Sober or this type of sober is extremely offensive.

"To me, I, I've been in [recovery meeting] rooms with men and women who have given up everything just to not pick up [alcohol].

"So sober to me means that you are not taking yourself out of reality. This is not a real thing. You're not sober. If you are drinking or you're smoking weed, you are not sober."

Demi - who has announced they are nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns- revealed their current sobriety status on YouTube docuseries Demi Lovato: Dancing With the Devil, admitting they've "been smoking weed and drinking in moderation."

They shared: "I've learned that it doesn't work for me to say that I'm never going to do this again. I know I'm done with the stuff that's going to kill me, right?"

"Telling myself that I can never have a drink or smoke marijuana, I feel like that's setting myself up for failure because I am such a black-and-white thinker. I had it drilled into my head for so many years that one drink was equivalent to a crack pipe."

Further explaining their California sober lifestyle on their docuseries and in a CBS Sunday Morning interview, they discouraged others from following their path to sobriety.

They said in the docuseries: "I also don't want people to hear that and think that they can go out and try having a drink or smoking a joint, you know?"

"Because it isn't for everybody. Recovery isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. You shouldn't be forced to get sober if you're not ready. You shouldn't get sober for other people. You have to do it for yourself.

"I am cautious to say that, just like I feel the complete abstinence method isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody. I don't think that this journey of moderation is a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody, too."

Demi infamously nearly lost her life after a heroin overdose in 2018 and stepped out of the spotlight for months to go to rehab.

This is Lala's first child, though Randall already shares two children, London 11, and Rylee, seven, from his previous marriage to actress Ambyr Childers.

She also currently wrapped the new season of Vanderpump Rules, which will air later this year.

Demi Lovato