Why wasn't Donald Trump shown on UFC 264 broadcast? Dana White blames 'massive f***-up"

Entertainment

Yahoo Sports 15 July, 2021 - 06:39pm 23 views

What did Conor Mcgregor break?

Conor McGregor had stress fractures in his left leg prior to getting injured in UFC 264, the star fighter said Thursday. "I had multiple stress fractures in the leg above the ankle," McGregor said in a video on Instagram. ... The Irishman broke his leg while fighting Dustin Poirier in UFC 264 on Saturday. The AthleticConor McGregor had stress fractures in leg before injury in UFC 264

Conor McGregor claims he was injured heading into UFC 264, vows to return

Fox News 15 July, 2021 - 09:30pm

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper.

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

Conor McGregor on Thursday addressed the devastating leg injury he suffered at UFC 264 in a loss to Dustin Poirier in what was supposed to be the epic final bout of their rivalry.

McGregor suffered the leg injury at the end of the first round and a win was awarded to Poirier via a doctor-stoppage technical knockout. The Irishman had to be taken out of the arena on a stretcher and needed surgery to repair a fractured tibia and fibula.

"I was injured going into the fight. People were asking me, ‘when was the leg broke?’ ‘At what point did the leg break?’ Ask Dana White. Ask the UFC. Ask Dr. Davidson – the head doctor of the UFC. I had a stress fracture in my leg going into that cage. It was debated about pulling the thing out."

He said he had multiple stress fractures in the shin bone above the ankle.

"I woulda never committed to going under the knife unless something like this happened. … And what I needed was a titanium shin bone," McGregor said.

He vowed to be back in the octagon.

UFC president Dana White told TMZ Sports on Wednesday he expected the former UFC champion to make his return in about a year.

McGregor was reportedly placed on medical suspension and can’t start training until at least January unless he gets clearance beforehand.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper.

SEE: Jake Paul poses with Donald Trump at UFC 264: Twitter users have poked fun!

HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music 15 July, 2021 - 09:30pm

Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The match between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier was attended by the likes of many celebrities, including Mel Gibson, Kourtney Kardashian, Travis Barker and more.

YouTube star Jake Paul and Donald Trump were among the guests at the event and posed for a picture backstage.

If you follow Jake on social media, you would know that this isn’t the first time the duo have met.

Jake Paul and Donald Trump both attended UFC 264 last weekend.

They met backstage to snap pictures together and the YouTuber proudly shared two images on his social media platforms.

“Addison Rae looks different here,” Jake captioned his post, poking fun at the encounter between the TikTok star and Trump during the event.

Jake held his fists in the first picture, while the former US president was all smiles and used the thumbs-up gesture. The second snap shows the two having a conversation.

Yes, Jake previously claimed that he met Trump virtually.

The social media images come after the YouTuber-turned-boxer recently claimed that he has spoken to Trump over FaceTime.

In an Instagram post from May this year, Jake posted a white board with a list of things he had done and achieved in the past two weeks.

One of them included a screenshot of his FaceTime conversation with the former US president who appeared to be on a plane.

Another of Jake’s achievements was his encounter with former UFC double champion Daniel Cormier.

After seeing the social media posts, the YouTuber’s followers have questioned where Jake stands politically. Some of them are divided and confused, while others poked fun at the images.

“Yall really think he’s gonna get canceled for this,” tweeted one user.

“2024 president – 2034 president,” joked another one in the comment section.

“Trump as president and Jake Paul as vice president,” someone else joked on Instagram.

In other news, No, Addison Rae didn't have a Donald Trump flag: Truth behind the picture revealed!

Conor McGregor's dad Tony rescued at sea by RNLI during luxury yacht trip

Daily Star 15 July, 2021 - 09:30pm

Conor McGregor's dad was left red-faced after he needed to be rescued by the RNLI during a trip on his luxury yacht, The 188.

In an interview with the Irish Mirror, Tony explained how a simple mistake had left his group stranded during a trip off the coast of Dublin.

The father of UFC megastar Conor stated that the boat had run out of battery due to a "classic yachtsman's error" and he had no means of getting back to Dublin without the help of the RNLI.

“It was a captain’s error. I went out to Dalkey to Pilot View. I dropped an anchor and I had swimmers on board. They were swimming off the 188. So they were swimming and jumping off the cliffs there for about an hour and a half.

“I dropped the anchor, and I switched the engines off, but I put on the navigation lights and that was the problem. My navigation lights were running the batteries down.

“It was a classic yachtsman’s error. These engines are bulletproof Volvo Penta marine engines, they’ve a lot of power in them. There are two engines on the 188. When I switched over the engines, it just wouldn’t crank over so I knew the batteries were dead.

“All I needed was a simple tow. I didn’t want to trouble the RNLI. There was no danger, there was no risk to life. I had three people on board, me and two passengers and there was no risk to life.

“Yeah, it was sort of an international yachtsman’s rule, you don’t call out the RNLI unless you have to. In this case, we were stuck. There was nothing we could do.

“It was an international yachtsman’s error. It should never have happened. It was so simple but also how difficult things could become from a simple operation. Honestly, if the water was cold and you were trying to pull in a cold wet chain in November, your hands would be numb within minutes.”

The rescue came just days before McGregor’s highly anticipated clash with long-time rival Dustin Poirier at UFC 264.

After a heated build-up to the trilogy contest, many fans were expecting the bout to be a potential fight of the year contender.

Instead, Poirier dominated the opening round, landing the heavier shots on the feet as well as some brutal ground-and-pound after McGregor attempted an ill-fated submission. Two of the bouts’ judges scored the round a 10-8 for the Diamond.

The contest would then go from bad to worse for the Irishman. In the final moments of the first-round, McGregor fired a one-two combination. After missing with his left-hand, he fell backwards, and his ankle appeared to snap.

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox - don't miss a thing.

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

The former UFC two-weight world champion collapsed on the canvas and Poirier jumped on top to land even more ground-and-pound.

The round ended just seconds after the injury and the UFC’s doctor told referee Herb Dean that McGregor was not fit to continue fighting, meaning Poirier was victorious via doctor’s stoppage.

Dana White has indicated that the UFC will look to book yet another clash between McGregor and Poirier, claiming that “the fight didn’t get finished” and that “you can’t have a fight finish that way.”

However, it seems Poirier is more interested in challenging for the UFC’s lightweight title currently held by Charles Oliveira.

McGregor could instead face long-time rival Nate Diaz, former UFC interim champion Tony Ferguson or YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul.

Security guard's ice-cold reaction to Conor McGregor kick caught on camera

The Mirror 15 July, 2021 - 09:30pm

A security guard involved in the Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier trilogy has gone viral after his reaction to a kick thrown by the Irishman was caught on camera.

McGregor made his way to the cage first in Saturday night's fight, meaning he had to wait in the cage while Poirier made his walk, and did a few warm-up exercises to stay in the mood.

But he almost ended up landing one of his famous head kicks on a security guard with a shot that would have made even the strongest-minded people flinch.

And fans are noting that the security guard remained ice cool as McGregor threw a head kick that he managed to stop just inches before hitting the guard.

The fight ultimately didn't go McGregor's way; he suffered a horror leg break that stopped the bout after just one round and gave the trilogy to Poirier.

McGregor was losing on all three judges scorecards, with two even marking it 10-8, but he has claimed that it was an "illegitimate victory" for Poirier.

And he has vowed to return to the octagon once he recovers from his injury, which will likely take until early next year at earliest.

Whats up fight fans, the Notorious here," McGregor said on Twitter. "Just out of the surgery room, everything went to plan, everything went perfect. I’m feeling tremendous.

"We got six weeks on a crutch now and then we begin to build back. I want to say thank you all the fans around the world for the messages of support, I hope you all enjoyed the show

"I want to thank all the fans in who came to the T-Mobile arena - 21,800 fans in attendance. The place was absolutely electric.

"It was a hell of a first round it would have been nice to get into that second round but it is what it is, that’s the nature of the business, it was a clean break of the tibia and it was not to be.

"Dustin you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want but you done nothing in there.

"That second round would have shown all and onwards and upwards we go team, we dust ourselves off, we build ourselves back and we come back better than ever. Let’s go team."

McGregor's coach John Kavanagh also had a different assessment of the fight, telling fans on an Instagram Live stream that he felt the bout was going well, and that he was confident of a second round win.

“It was going fantastic,” he told fans in a promotional stream for his Wimp2Warrior program. “I thought he looked really, really good in there.

"I wasn’t concerned at all, I was actually really, really happy - at the 4:30 mark or even the 4:45 mark, everything is gravy.

"I thought energy looked good, technique looked good - a few adjustments in between rounds, and I thought Round 2 we were well on track to getting a finish there, or keep the rhythm going for the rest of the fight.

“Credit to Dustin, he won, it’s an unfulfilling end to the night - it doesn’t feel properly finished, and there wasn't any closure.”

McGregor 'banks £3.61million for UFC 264 defeat by Poirier'

Daily Mail 14 July, 2021 - 08:01am

By Will Griffee For Mailonline

Conor McGregor banked £3.61million for the defeat by Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 on Saturday night. 

The Irishman suffered a TKO defeat after the doctor stopped the fight following his gruesome leg break at the very end of the opening round. 

It was a hugely frustrating conclusion for all involved and fans were denied a real conclusion to the trilogy between McGregor and his American rival. 

Conor McGregor collected £3.61million despite defeat at UFC 264 having broken his leg

The Irishman and his opponent Dustin Poirier put on a compelling show for five minutes

Despite the unfortunate ending inside the octagon, McGregor's bank balance received a boost of £3.61m, according to The Sports Daily. 

The UFC do not release fighter pay officially but Poirier reportedly took home £736,000, significantly less than his opponent despite the fact that he won their second fight back in January. 

The pay-per-view came in at just under 1.8 million buys globally, making it the second most lucrative in the organisation's history after McGregor's infamous fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov. 

The fact that McGregor was forced out of the contest after just five minutes with his fractured tibia means he raked in £12,033-per-second of action in the cage. 

McGregor is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines and has already had surgery

Back in May, McGregor was ranked as the No 1 highest paid athlete in the world and his earnings from Saturday night will help keep him in top spot, but that will be scant consolation. 

He was hugely frustrated and even conducted an interview after the fight while in a tremendous amount of pain from the injury.  

McGregor roared that 'this isn't over' and the general consensus seems to be that there will be a fourth point further down the line. 

Fans may have to wait a while to see that, with the former two-weight champion hit with a medical suspension until January next year. 

The suspension can be removed but only with special permission from a doctor. 

Poirier and the lightweight division will move on, with 'Diamond' widely expected to face Charles Oliveira for the belt in his next encounter.  

Poirier will move on to fight Charles Oliveira next in a fight for the lightweight belt 

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

Entertainment Stories